Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have two LED bulbs and only paid 20 bucks each. They've lasted for 5 years. Prior to those, I was replacing the incandescent bulbs every month.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    I have two LED bulbs and only paid 20 bucks each. They've lasted for 5 years. Prior to those, I was replacing the incandescent bulbs every month.
    Every month?

Seems a bit of an exaggeration. I have never had them last so short a time.

I don't recall LED bulbs of any proper lighting capacity being available that long ago either. What type are they?

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obama's biggest donor: GE

Biggest LED light bulb manufacturer: GE

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obama's biggest donor: GE

Biggest LED light bulb manufacturer: GE

Too bad the legislation was passed in 2007.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And GE was barely in the top 20 if the sources I've seen are correct.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Too bad the legislation was passed in 2007.

Thank you for immediately owning AHF rather than playing the ChumperDumper game of asking inane questions that go nowhere.

LOL, you said exactly what I was thinking as I was reading his post.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Every month?

Seems a bit of an exaggeration. I have never had them last so short a time.

I don't recall LED bulbs of any proper lighting capacity being available that long ago either. What type are they?
    The every month thing could be explainable, maybe he was changing *an* incandescent bulb every month, not all of his incandescent bulbs monthly.

As far as the rest, I hate to say it but I agree with you on this. I don't think that LED bulbs (outside of christmas lights) were commercially available until last year or the year before.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So the 'greens' is who you're afraid of, not the government...

The greens in the govt.

And I only have to go to Lowes or Home Depot to recycle my spent CFLs? How convenient.

God, you people really miss the point.

The govt removes phosphates from dishwasher detergent, leaving you with white film all over your dishes.

The govt mandated efficiency ratings on washing machines, making today's units much less effective than they were 10 years ago. --> http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/08/sc....html?_r=1&hpw

And now they want to replace bulbs that have worked great for decades. And bulbs don't even use that much energy compared to other major appliances.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Darrin, may your environmental footprint be in a pile of anti-green Repug dog .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The greens in the govt.

And I only have to go to Lowes or Home Depot to recycle my spent CFLs? How convenient.

God, you people really miss the point.

The govt removes phosphates from dishwasher detergent, leaving you with white film all over your dishes.

The govt mandated efficiency ratings on washing machines, making today's units much less effective than they were 10 years ago. --> http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/08/sc....html?_r=1&hpw

And now they want to replace bulbs that have worked great for decades. And bulbs don't even use that much energy compared to other major appliances.

We get the point. The point is that your lazy and that you'e a liar and when you don't flat out lie you use red herrings and strawmen like crazy.

Don't think these are insults, Darrin. They are accurate descriptions of your posting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

We get the point. The point is that your lazy and that you'e a liar and when you don't flat out lie you use red herrings and strawmen like crazy.

You're --> you are

e.g. You're welcome.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spelling smack. Strong.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As the world gets more industrialized/developed, do people really think energy prices will ever go down? Why would the government bother mandating any kind of bulb when market forces will make consumers choose to save money?

You don't need a crystal ball to see that energy prices will continue to rise precipitously, and economies of scale will bring LED bulbs down in price.

EDIT-- Also: crying about the removal of phosphates from detergents? Really?
    Last edited by admiralsnackbar; 05-18-2011 at 10:57 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    EDIT-- Also: crying about the removal of phosphates from detergents? Really?

Phosphate-free Cascade sucks balls.

Lemishine to the rescue.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you're --> you are

e.g. You're welcome.
    l i a r

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The every month thing could be explainable, maybe he was changing *an* incandescent bulb every month, not all of his incandescent bulbs monthly.
    Sometime's with older houses, the wiring is kind of hinky. In my house (60 years old), when it was changed over to a fuse box to a circuit breaker, something went crazy with the kitchen light. It started blowing a lightbulb every month and the fixture burned out 3 times in a single year.

For some reason I switched to CFL and no problem since. Still haven't actually looked at the wiring to figure out what was wrong

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As the world gets more industrialized/developed, do people really think energy prices will ever go down? Why would the government bother mandating any kind of bulb when market forces will make consumers choose to save money?

You don't need a crystal ball to see that energy prices will continue to rise precipitously, and economies of scale will bring LED bulbs down in price.
    Planning ahead is better than catching up.

By forcing efficiency we are moving the demand curve to the right and lowering the slope of the energy price increase equation.

It affects all of us, not just the ones who are happily paying for 4-6 times more electricity than they need.

Darrin: You are saying that they don't use that much electricity?
    The most popular bulb in the US is the 60 watt bulb. The standard bulb uses 60 watt hours or .06 Kwh and produces about 800 lumens.

Sylvania has a 60w replacement LED bulb which consumes .012 Kwh and produces about 810 lumens.

I recognize that in the grand scheme of things .048 Kwh is not a huge deal for an item which is on at most 5-7 hours a day (no source, just my own guess). This only really makes a difference of about 1 Kwh every 4 days (assuming the light is on 5 hours). Where it comes into play is the immense amount of bulbs that are in use in the US. I cant find the article but I read yesterday that there are 425 million 60 watt bulbs in use in the US. Assuming the average bulb is on an hour a day (energystar says the average bulb is on 3.13 hours per day, but that seems a little high to me so I am going more conservative). This would mean that by changing to LEDs the country would save 20,400,000 Kwh every day. My last bill from cps showed a charge of .09 cents per kwh which as you know is very low relative to the national price of electricity. Using this very low cost, that would mean that Americans would save 1,836,000 per day or 670,140,000 per year (much more if energystar is correct about how long the avg bulb is on/day). Also, the incandescents last about 750 hours to 1,000 hours and the LEDs last between 25,000 and 30,000 hours. The point here is that your assertion that this doesn't make a big difference is wrong. Also, remember, that I only used 60 watt bulbs. There are many other bulbs that would only serve to show even more benefit to the switch.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You have become quite boutons-esque of late.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.energysavers.gov/your_hom.../mytopic=11980

Nationwide, artificial lighting consumes about 10% of a household's electricity use. Use of new lighting technologies can reduce lighting energy use in homes by 50%–75%. Upgrading 15 of the inefficient incandescent light bulbs in your home could save you about $50 per year.

Upgrading 15 incandescent bulbs

Cost $750

Savings $50

I'll pass

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.energysavers.gov/your_hom.../mytopic=11980

Upgrading 15 incandescent bulbs

Cost $750

Savings $50

I'll pass
    Are you dying this year? Or are you going to just quit using light next year?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I guess I would get a return on my investment in 15 short years.

By the way, Phillips has a 60W equivalent for the low price of $40/bulb.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CGcQ8wIwAQ#

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Moreover, what makes Darren think the savings will only be $50 next year or thereafter? Last I checked, Earth's population was still increasing geometrically.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Moreover, what makes Darren think the savings will only be $50 next year or thereafter? Last I checked, Earth's population was still increasing geometrically.

So, the population increase will make the bulbs more efficient? Hmmm.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So, the population increase will make the bulbs more efficient? Hmmm.
    You aren't this dense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You aren't this dense.

Yes, if energy costs go up, it will "save" more money, but the % energy savings will be same.

Who's dense?

Thread Information