My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    lol @ the % being static.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn, Darrin actively wants to be stupid.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I'm sure the kwh rates will remain exactly the same..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, if energy costs go up, it will "save" more money, but the % energy savings will be same.

Who's dense?
    I guess I am. Explain how you get from your first clause to the second.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    90% is just not enough!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.energysavers.gov/your_hom.../mytopic=11980

Upgrading 15 incandescent bulbs

Cost $750

Savings $50

I'll pass
    You simultaneously suck at deduction and math.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Darrin, do you ever think it might be a good idea to cut your losses in a thread, or does what you perceive to be your internets rep force you to hold on to stupidly untenable positions until grim death?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess I would get a return on my investment in 15 short years.

By the way, Phillips has a 60W equivalent for the low price of $40/bulb.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CGcQ8wIwAQ#
    If only you would have looked a little further. Phillips is the favorite to win the L-prize which is for a 60w replacement bulb in which 75% of its parts must be manufactured here, 75% of it must be assembled here, it must produce in excess of 900 lumens, last 25000 hours, consume 10 w, and be priced at $22. It is similar to the one on sale right now but a little brighter a little more energy efficient and a little cheaper. They are in the testing phase at the moment.

Additionally, the link you posted doesn't specify LED bulbs. Heck it even has a picture of a CFL in the article... Go to solarfest next year and you can get a four pack for free. HEB gives them away sometimes for free too. If not free, they are pretty cheap. You can save your money on electricity and not have to spend whatever fairy tale amount you come up with. Also, by the time those CFLs burn out, you can probably buy 100w replacement led's for $5 after inflation.
    Last edited by Drachen; 05-18-2011 at 12:38 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If only you would have looked a little further
    Would have required reading. Darrin's allergic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol @ the % being static.

Assuming I turn on my lights for the same amount of time each day, how could my % energy saved be anything but?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If only you would have looked a little further. Phillips is the favorite to win the L-prize which is for a 60w replacement bulb in which 75% of its parts must be manufactured here, 75% of it must be assembled here, it must produce in excess of 900 lumens, last 25000 hours, consume 10 w, and be priced at $22. It is similar to the one on sale right now but a little brighter a little more energy efficient and a little cheaper. They are in the testing phase at the moment.
    Who said they weren't?

Additionally, the link you posted doesn't specify LED bulbs. Heck it even has a picture of a CFL in the article... Go to solarfest next year and you can get a four pack for free. HEB gives them away sometimes for free too. If not free, they are pretty cheap. You can save your money on electricity and not have to spend whatever fairy tale amount you come up with. Also, by the time those CFLs burn out, you can probably buy 100w replacement led's for $5 after inflation.

The link showed a picture of both and I won't be buying any CFLs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Assuming I turn on my lights for the same amount of time each day, how could my % energy saved be anything but?
    By having a light source that throws out equivalent lumens per watt (10w vs 60-100w) such that you burn dramatically less energy for as much or more light. What's hard about that concept?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who said they weren't?

The link showed a picture of both and I won't be buying any CFLs.

Then go Halogen incandescent. I don't know anything about them other than they are also part of the L-Prize.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By having a light source that throws out equivalent lumens per watt (10w vs 60-100w) such that you burn dramatically less energy for as much or more light. What's hard about that concept?

I understand that. What do MY INDIVIDUAL savings have to do with an increasing population?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow, you guys and Darrin are having completely different conversations at the moment...

The claim that started all this % BS got misconstrued somewhere, and Darrin (and I can't believe I'm saying this) was actually right in his statement.

Basically, he stated given that you replace a 60W incandescent with a 10W LED, the amount of energy you save there is static. Which is true. Just because more people use electricity, or energy costs more, doesn't mean that that one lightbulb is going to become more efficient. The actual amount of energy conserved is static (well, within a range that varies based on weather, solar flares, etc).

Not granted, at some point he oddly transitioned from talking about monetary savings to energy savings (and his monetary claims were just off), but he's correct in that the amount of energy saved from each lightbulb switched is static.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I understand that. What do MY INDIVIDUAL savings have to do with an increasing population?
    Higher population = greater demand = greater cost.

We can't control the right to reproduction, we can try to use better tech to make amenities we've become accustomed to (like electricity) more sustainable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow, you guys and Darrin are having completely different conversations at the moment...

The claim that started all this % BS got misconstrued somewhere, and Darrin (and I can't believe I'm saying this) was actually right in his statement.

Basically, he stated given that you replace a 60W incandescent with a 10W LED, the amount of energy you save there is static. Which is true. Just because more people use electricity, or energy costs more, doesn't mean that that one lightbulb is going to become more efficient. The actual amount of energy conserved is static (well, within a range that varies based on weather, solar flares, etc).
    Thanks. For a minute a thought I was talking to a bunch of zombies.

Not granted, at some point he oddly transitioned from talking about monetary savings to energy savings (and his monetary claims were just off), but he's correct in that the amount of energy saved from each lightbulb switched is static.
    Well, I stopped talking dollars because the cost of energy and the value of the dollars is, admittedly, not static.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Higher population = greater demand = greater cost.
    sigh

We can't control the right to reproduction, we can try to use better tech to make amenities we've become accustomed to (like electricity) more sustainable.

God, I should hope not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Please expand on this -- I'm having trouble following how there is an equivalence in efficiency between 10 and 60 watts, be it on an individual household level, or a national one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Instead of sighing, you could make your argument intelligible. Try it -- I'm open to learning something.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Just remember, this whole thread was predicated on Darrin's delusional Federal Mandate of LED bulbs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yes when he shifted his arguement from being that we wouldn't save a lot of energy over to monetary savings then to the non-effects of rising population and rates on individual energy savings if he were to switch then he finally made a true statement. Unfortunately, no one was aware that he had made the switch from money to individual energy savings.

It is true if you purchase one of these bulbs you will be using 1/6th of the electricity that you are now on the lighting from that socket. No amount of population increase or rate rise will push you from that fantastically efficient standard to an even better spectacularly efficient standard all other things being equal.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Please expand on this -- I'm having trouble following how there is an equivalence in efficiency between 10 and 60 watts, be it on an individual household level, or a national one.
    It's not an equivalence of energy. It's a static ratio.

He's saying this:

{Amount of Energy used by 10W LED} / {Amount of Energy used by 60W incandescent} = a constant number (X).

Real energy savings would be X * light usage.
    Real monetary savings would be X * light usage * price

The X stays the same.

Thread Information