Page 5 of 42 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes when he shifted his arguement from being that we wouldn't save a lot of energy over to monetary savings then to the non-effects of rising population and rates on individual energy savings if he were to switch then he finally made a true statement. Unfortunately, no one was aware that he had made the switch from money to individual energy savings.
    Yep, he slid around a bit until he finally hit something right

I'm not surprised that the last switch went unnoticed, just felt like helping clarify things.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see -- thanks for that, fyatuk. I don't entirely understand why Darrin changed his tack to one that had very little bearing on the conversation we were having up until then (or, alternatively, why I thought we were discussing something we weren't), but at least I see what's happened.
    Last edited by admiralsnackbar; 05-18-2011 at 02:16 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes when he shifted his arguement from being that we wouldn't save a lot of energy over to monetary savings then to the non-effects of rising population and rates on individual energy savings if he were to switch then he finally made a true statement. Unfortunately, no one was aware that he had made the switch from money to individual energy savings.
    Actually, I started with money and shifted to % energy saved. The assinine argument about population growth came from admiralsnackfart.

start here: http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/show...4&postcount=69

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Actually, you started with a flawed premise (again) and upon being called on it, you began furiously obfuscating and rephrasing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually, you started with a flawed premise (again) and upon being called on it, you began furiously obfuscating and rephrasing.

"furiously obfuscating" --lol

Meh, go yourself. I'll stock up on the soon-to-be-outlawed bulbs. By the time I run out, maybe the LEDs will be worth it. Right now, they are not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who do you think you're fooling Darrin? I brought up market forces to allay your baseless paranoiac posts that Big Green Brother was going to force you to spend money on lightbulbs you couldn't afford. Considering this, I'm not sure why you're crowing like the victor when somebody else had to explain your response to my original statement which, as it turns out, has little to do with your original point and nothing to do with mine.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who do you think you're fooling Darrin? I brought up market forces to allay your baseless paranoiac posts that Big Green Brother was going to force you to spend money on lightbulbs you couldn't afford. Considering this, I'm not sure why you're crowing like the victor when somebody else had to explain your response to my original statement which, as it turns out, has little to do with your original point and nothing to do with mine.

I like having choices. If I want to buy a huge, gas-guzzling truck or SUV, that is my choice (for now).

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    "furiously obfuscating" --lol

Meh, go yourself. I'll stock up on the soon-to-be-outlawed bulbs. By the time I run out, maybe the LEDs will be worth it. Right now, they are not.
    You mean those Federally Mandated LED's, right?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Meh, go yourself.
    Nice. Your conversion to boutons is almost complete.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You mean those Federally Mandated LED's, right?

Federally mandated CFLs or LEDs. Vast choices you have.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Except there's no mandate. But other than that, yeah.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like having choices. If I want to buy a huge, gas-guzzling truck or SUV, that is my choice (for now).
    And that concludes another installment of Non-Sequitur Theater. And remember, kids: umbrella.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    And that concludes another installment of Non-Sequitur Theater. And remember, kids: umbrella.
    And remember to return your strawman to the full, upright position.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Darrin is just but hurt that no one buys his bull and his lies.

L - I - A - R.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And its you and others like you that shift the demand curve to the left Increasing equilibrium price. Also the government mandated standards not products. If your 100 year old horse can't keep up, maybe you should retire him from the race.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And its you and others like you that shift the demand curve to the left Increasing equilibrium price. Also the government mandated standards not products. If your 100 year old horse can't keep up, maybe you should retire him from the race.
    It is rather absurd to complain about the government setting efficiency standards, when they've been doing similar for decades with air quality, water quality, auto safety, etc.

Granted, it might be appropriate to complain about the government setting standards the eliminates an old technology (incandescent bulbs) before the replacement tech (LED) is ready for mass production. Probably could use a few more years before phasing out low efficiency bulbs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is rather absurd to complain about the government setting efficiency standards, when they've been doing similar for decades with air quality, water quality, auto safety, etc.

Granted, it might be appropriate to complain about the government setting standards the eliminates an old technology (incandescent bulbs) before the replacement tech (LED) is ready for mass production. Probably could use a few more years before phasing out low efficiency bulbs.
    LEDs, however, are not the only replacement tech. There are several different options to choose from which are ready for prime time. Also, if they shifted the deadline to two years from now, then we would be having this conversation 2 years from now.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LEDs, however, are not the only replacement tech. There are several different options to choose from which are ready for prime time. Also, if they shifted the deadline to two years from now, then we would be having this conversation 2 years from now.
    Quite true, although most of the other replacement techs have some big flaws. Like CFLs; a LOT of people I know can't stand the way they light, they often don't fit into covered fixtures, etc.

I'm not sure we would be having this conversation a few years from now. Another couple years with manufacturers knowing what's coming could really drop the price to the point where people wouldn't care. I think the fact that there's one lightbulb up for the prize when there's a bunch more manufacturers tells a big story. It's already been established that prices for LED bulbs are expected to drop drastically over the next few years.

I know nothing is guaranteed, but it's fairly obvious LED tech isn't quite ready for mass consumption, and that seems to be the tech with the fewest flaws going forward.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Quite true, although most of the other replacement techs have some big flaws. Like CFLs; a LOT of people I know can't stand the way they light, they often don't fit into covered fixtures, etc.

I'm not sure we would be having this conversation a few years from now. Another couple years with manufacturers knowing what's coming could really drop the price to the point where people wouldn't care. I think the fact that there's one lightbulb up for the prize when there's a bunch more manufacturers tells a big story. It's already been established that prices for LED bulbs are expected to drop drastically over the next few years.

I know nothing is guaranteed, but it's fairly obvious LED tech isn't quite ready for mass consumption, and that seems to be the tech with the fewest flaws going forward.
    Oh I think you misunderstand, I am saying that without this deadline, they wouldn't be this far along with the R&D. So we would just be having this conversation later. If Phillips was the only one who could pull it off, then this means that they were forward looking enough to have already started the research on this before the prize was announced, or that they have a spent the time/money on a far more capable research department than any of their compe ors... Either way, they are about to be rewarded for such long term thinking.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Then it's a good thing they are taking a few more years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The greens in the govt.

And I only have to go to Lowes or Home Depot to recycle my spent CFLs? How convenient.
    You don't have to. Can you point out where you're required to do so?

God, you people really miss the point.
    Government issuing egregious regulations isn't new.
    In this particular case, this just isn't an egregious regulation (phasing out incandescent bulbs).
    Last edited by ElNono; 05-18-2011 at 06:09 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Darrin, what is your point?

It certainly isn't that the federal government is mandating LED bulb, because that is a lie.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Then it's a good thing they are taking a few more years.
    DOH! you are correct. It is only 100 watts next year right? or is it going to other way?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Federally mandated CFLs or LEDs. Vast choices you have.
    Actually this is another lie -- but you would have to go to Home Depot to find out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Darrin, what is your point?

It certainly isn't that the federal government is mandating LED bulb, because that is a lie.

That is his point.

Thread Information