San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    GE to drop CFLs, focus on LED bulbs:

http://gizmodo.com/ge-will-no-longer...lbs-1756344245

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    you have to be able to see the future.

thats why philips hue can shed some light on that.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    It's about time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.nature.com/nnano/journal/....2015.309.html

Brief:

Tailoring high-temperature radiation and the resurrection of the incandescent source

Ognjen Ilic, Peter Bermel, Gang Chen, John D. Joannopoulos, Ivan Celanovic & Marin Soljačić
    AffiliationsContributionsCorresponding author
    Nature Nanotechnology (2016) doi:10.1038/nnano.2015.309
    Received 24 July 2015 Accepted 25 November 2015 Published online 11 January 2016
    Article tools
    Citation
    Reprints
    Rights & permissions
    Article metrics
    In solar cells, the mismatch between the Sun's emission spectrum and the cells’ absorption profile limits the efficiency of such devices1, while in incandescent light bulbs, most of the energy is lost as heat2. One way to avoid the waste of a large fraction of the radiation emitted from hot objects is to tailor the thermal emission spectrum according to the desired application. This strategy has been successfully applied to photonic-crystal emitters at moderate temperatures3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, but is exceedingly difficult for hot emitters (>1,000 K)9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14. Here, we show that a plain incandescent tungsten filament (3,000 K) surrounded by a cold-side nanophotonic interference system optimized to reflect infrared light and transmit visible light for a wide range of angles could become a light source that reaches luminous efficiencies (∼40%) surpassing existing lighting technologies, and nearing a limit for lighting applications. We experimentally demonstrate a proof-of-principle incandescent emitter with efficiency approaching that of commercial fluorescent or light-emitting diode bulbs, but with exceptional reproduction of colours and scalable power. The ability to tailor the emission spectrum of high-temperature sources may find applications in thermophotovoltaic energy conversion15, 16, 17, 18 and lighting.

Subject terms: Optical materials and structures Photonic devices Technology
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2...m-more-effici/

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Been roasting alot of Sulawesie lately. My wife's fav. Big thanks for the recommendation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Been roasting alot of Sulawesie lately. My wife's fav. Big thanks for the recommendation.
    Most welcome. Where do you get the beans?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    down here the council/govt was handing out free led energy efficient lights/downlights....the catch is? they costs like $25-$45 each for replacement...so what u do is tell the installer to give u twice or spares since its free anyway...

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Most welcome. Where do you get the beans?
    Lavanta Coffee Beans via Amazon. They've been very, very good quality this far. Just finished roasting another pound tonight.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Energy Policy and Conservation Act of 1975, as amended by the EnergyIndependence and Security Act of 2007 (EISA 2007), requires that, effective beginning January1, 2020, the Secretary of Energy shall prohibit the sale of any general service lamp (GSL) thatdoes not meet a minimum efficacy standard of 45 lumens per watt. This is referred to as theEISA 2007 backstop. The U.S. Department of Energy recently revised the definition of the termGSL to include certain lamps that were either previously excluded or not explicitly mentioned inthe EISA 2007 definition. For this subset of GSLs, we assess the impacts of the EISA 2007backstop on national energy consumption, carbon dioxide emissions, and consumerexpenditures. To estimate these impacts, we projected the energy use, purchase price, andoperating cost of representative lamps purchased during a 30-year analysis period, 2020-2049,for cases in which the EISA 2007 backstop does and does not take effect; the impacts of thebackstop are then given by the difference between the two cases. In developing the projectionmodel, we also performed the most comprehensive assessment to date of usage patterns andlifetime distributions for the analyzed lamp types in the United States. There is substantialuncertainty in the estimated impacts, which arises from uncertainty in the speed and extent of themarket conversion to solid state lighting technology that would occur in the absence of the EISA2007 backstop. In our central estimate we find that the EISA 2007 backstop results in significantenergy savings of 27 quads and consumer net present value of $120 billion (at a seven percentdiscount rate) for lamps shipped between 2020 and 2049, and carbon dioxide emissionsreduction of 540 million metric tons by 2030 for those GSLs not explicitly included in the EISA2007 definition of a GSL.

https://ees.lbl.gov/sites/default/fi...07090-rev2.pdf

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    [6450-01-P]DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY10 CFR Part 430RIN 1904-AE26Energy Conservation Program: Energy Conservation Standards for General ServiceLampsAGENCY: Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy, Department of Energy.ACTION: Notice of proposed rulemaking and request for comment.SUMMARY: On January 19, 2017, the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) published two finalrules adopting revised definitions of general service lamp (GSL), general service incandescentlamp (GSIL) and other supplemental definitions, effective January 1, 2020. DOE has sincedetermined that the legal basis underlying those revisions misconstrued existing law. As a result,DOE is issuing this notice of proposed rulemaking (NOPR) proposing to withdraw thedefinitions established in the January 19, 2017, final rules. DOE proposes to maintain theexisting regulatory definitions of GSL and GSIL, which are the same as the statutory definitionsof those terms.
    https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/fi...ition-nopr.pdf

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    HAPPY NOW DARRIN?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just when you thought it was safe to turn on a light ...

The war on lightbulbs is back! Oh, the things Republicans obsess about.

Remember all the way back to
    2011, and 2012, and of course 2013, when Republicans were dramatically clutching their incandescent lightbulbs to their chests as the last vestiges of freedom?

In case you missed all the fun earlier this decade, Republicans were incensed over a new law and regulations from the George W.

Bush administration (yes, he started it)

that were continued and built upon by the Barack Obama administration and changed lightbulb standards to make them more energy-efficient.

So the Trump administration has officially rolled back rules passed under that efficiency law by the Obama administration

and applied to bulbs other than the traditional lamp lights—recessed lights, chandeliers, etc.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/1883387

Trash and his team must have looked at all the stuff Obama did to reverse all of it. petty pricks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In our central estimate we find that the EISA 2007 backstop results in significantenergy savings of 27 quads and consumer net present value of $120 billion (at a seven percentdiscount rate) for lamps shipped between 2020 and 2049
    Translation:

The new energy standards would have saved a hundred and twenty billion dollars in present day dollars over a 19 years period. I believe earlier in this thread I pointed out that LEDs are cheaper by a substantial margin.

So basically the Trump administration is reversing a rule that saved people money, for the sole reason that it was passed by the administration of The Scary Black Guy.

Darrin

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I ALWAYS LOOK ORANGE. SO DO YOU.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am "Number one, to me, most importantly"

yep, that's all that matters to the mentally deranged bag asshole, who psychological slogan is "Me First" not America First.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.energysavers.gov/your_hom.../mytopic=11980

Nationwide, artificial lighting consumes about 10% of a household's electricity use. Use of new lighting technologies can reduce lighting energy use in homes by 50%–75%. Upgrading 15 of the inefficient incandescent light bulbs in your home could save you about $50 per year.
    Upgrading 15 incandescent bulbs

Cost $750

Savings $50

I'll pass
    So I did an update at the local Home Depot.

The halogen (incandescent bulbs) lasted a 1,000 hours
    The LEDs lasted 15,000 hours.

The LEDs were a bit under three times as expensive on the shelf, but you would have to buy 15 of them for the same light.

The LEDS were therefore about 1/5 the cost over the same period, just for the bulbs.

Cost of electricity:
    Halogen 72w
    LED 7w

Bluebonnet Residential Service = $0.033047 per kWh

72w*15kh= 1080kWh * .033047= $35.00 worth of electricity
    7w*15kh = 105kWh * .033047= $3.47 worth of electricity

Total cost of LED bulb was about $7
    Total cost of incand. was $52.5

The most efficient incandescent bulbs are 7.5 times more expensive than the LEDs, which have, as predicted vastly come down in price.

The economics haven't changed.

Neither has the fact that you lack critical thinking skills.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    whatever is progressive, scientific, healthful, better, cheaper, sustainable, etc, etc, etc.

any and all of it incites ignorant, reflexive (anti-thinking) contrariness in ignorant rightwingnutjobs.

There is no value in discussing ANYTHING with these mofos, but hearing their is educational in trying to understand how they "think" and why they vote in Repug to themselves and everybody over (except the oligarchy).
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 09-18-2019 at 10:41 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My entire home has LED bulbs. Costs are substantially lower and quality control is much better now.

I took the L a long time ago.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some of the early ones I bought failed though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Points out a missed variable in my calculation. My comparison was for 1000 lumen bulbs. Generally more lumens = more $$

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My entire home has LED bulbs. Costs are substantially lower and quality control is much better now.

Yet you didn't really evaluate where or how you got your information, even after it failed you, and still don't seem to try critical thinking any more than you did then.

Just like you haven't changed your mind on climate change, despite the continuing march of evidence I pointed out would be the case almost a decade ago.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Well good for you for admitting it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some of the early ones I bought failed though.
    Innovation can be bumpy, cheers!

Thread Information