Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    on instagram, str8 flexin DUNCANownsKOBE's Avatar
    My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    no

Lebron is the starting SF on his team and he's a 6'8" nigbeast. He does absolutely nothing to disprove my PG theory just because he handles the ball a lot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no

Lebron is the starting SF on his team and he's a 6'8" nigbeast. He does absolutely nothing to disprove my PG theory just because he handles the ball a lot.
    A Derrick Rose by any other name...

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    huh?

One of the main reasons behind my theory is height i.e. a team built around the shortest player on the court is destined to fail. Derrick Rose is 6'3", Lebron is 6'8".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A player who runs the point more often than not is just as much the PG as the one they call PG.

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    no, the PG is the player who plays point guard, which nearly all the time is the shortest player on the court for the team. Not the player who handles the ball a lot. He might be a point forward, but he's not a point guard. The straws you're grasping at to disprove my theory only strengthen it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The fact that there are exceptions to your "theory" already nullify it prebirth. What you are now doing is saying "most often a team led is scoring by a PG cannot win a championship". "Most often" propositons are not theories, just observations.

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    rofl so now you want to play semantics with the definition of the term "theory" as if this is some scientific hypothesis rather than a basketball observation

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    rofl so now you want to play semantics with the definition of the term "theory" as if this is some scientific hypothesis rather than a basketball observation
    It's your word, not mine. As a college student I would think you would hold the word to a higher standard.

You have an observation: Teams led by PGs most often have failed to win a ring

However, the ty play of Harden must factor in here. If the Thunder end up winning the series, will you say Westbrook is another exception or will you say the team wasn't led by their PG?

Obviously a PG can win a game for a team. It's been done.

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Chris Paul is CARRYING the point guard position tbh... ring coming next year...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A player who runs the point more often than not is just as much the PG as the one they call PG.
    Set the plays,handles the ball,run the team.....

Yes,he's the PG of the team sometimes....not every play but he's playing PG.....even Harden is guarding him.

He's more PG than Chalmers tbh.

Magic wasn't the shortest player of the team on the court either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's like giving the football to a halfback who throws a touchdown. He doesn't become a QB, but if they do that on almost every play, he's playing the role of the QB.

Semantics indeed.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lebron has been running the majority of his plays in the post, mid-post, and mid-wing area of the floor, in this series..generally, a PG would not run an offense through these spots on the floor..

Miami has actually been more successful with Lebron playing more of a big man role, which plays into DOK's theory..

Also, Mario Chalmers has virtually no ability to play the PG position..he can't dribble, he makes bad decisions, he's a poor passer..yet he just left an imprint on a Finals win, similar to Derek Fisher, all those years prior..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is he joining the Heat?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Chlmers proved that PG is a flukey position

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The loss was more about Harden and the rest of the team not getting stops, not scoring and making dumb moves than it was about their starting PG. Still, Brooks knows damn well what happens when RW goes full on hero mode.

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    It's your word, not mine. As a college student I would think you would hold the word to a higher standard.
    Then you expect too much from someone posting on an NBA message board

You have an observation: Teams led by PGs most often have failed to win a ring
    I'll take it a step further: teams led by PGs (as in the PG is the best player on the team) have almost never won a ring with very rare exception)

However, the ty play of Harden must factor in here. If the Thunder end up winning the series, will you say Westbrook is another exception or will you say the team wasn't led by their PG?
    The Thunder are led by Durant. They wouldn't weaken my "observation" or "theory" or whatever if they won it. The fact Westbrook dominating the ball and making re ed plays for his team down the stretch only demonstrates how hard it is to win a championship when the PG is playing a significant role. It goes from hard to nearly impossible when the PG is the best player.

Obviously a PG can win a game for a team. It's been done.
    A PG hasn't "led" a team to a championship in over 20 years. There's no way to dispute that.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    DOK's theory or observation is sound. I wondered the same, but never put it or broke it down the way he has. In HS ball, AAU etc. The best PG's do a LOT of winning. Most state championships in NY, LA or TX (states I have lived in) been led by great PG's. When I started watching ball Magic, Isiah won les as lead PG's. It has been a while and doesnt look like it will happen this year either.

Harden wanted no part of open shots in that game. And the combination of Battier and Lebron's defense is impacting the ability for OKC to get the ball to durant in his sweet spots. He WANTS the ball late, but he aint doing with it since Game 2. The Heat are packing the paint and Harden is shooting like Game 7 John starks or Kobe in 2010. I cant blame Wesbrook for trying to keep them in it. His turnover late was bad as was his foul. But durant failing to secure that rebound was equally damning. that ball was in his airspace an dhe made a feeble attempt to get it. Battier went after that tip like it was his last meal. It seems, the heat may not only be a better team (not more talented) but they just WANT it more. Most le teams lately have that veteran (mavs had several) looking for that first ring. You see it in his play. OKC doesnt have that. Fisher and Perk both have rings, though know what it takes, but nobody wants this more than Lebron, Battier and Bosh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Then you expect too much from someone posting on an NBA message board
    Understood, but if it's repeated often enough it becomes the standard even though it's wrong.
    I'll take it a step further: teams led by PGs (as in the PG is the best player on the team) have almost never won a ring with very rare exception)
    We said the same thing basically. The term "best player" can mean many things. It doesn't necessarily mean best scorer. Are you saying best player as best scorer or generally accepted as the best player, because KD is the best player on that team. Do you mean best player for that game, for that series or for that year?
    The Thunder are led by Durant. They wouldn't weaken my "observation" or "theory" or whatever if they won it. The fact Westbrook dominating the ball and making re ed plays for his team down the stretch only demonstrates how hard it is to win a championship when the PG is playing a significant role. It goes from hard to nearly impossible when the PG is the best player.
    That's a bit of confirmation bias. Westbrook did enough to win the game and made one boneheaded move at the end. Meanwhile those who didn't rebound that ball (everyone else) get off scott free.

I do agree that score first PGs are a detriment to their teams, even if they are great scorers though, because the ball has to make the defense work. When they saw that James was hurt, they should have attacked him with ball movement. Instead RW just kept doing the same things.

A PG hasn't "led" a team to a championship in over 20 years. There's no way to dispute that.
    Tony Parker and Chauncey Billups both won Finals MVP. I don't know how else you would determine "led". If you mean a scoring leader, then you have to say so. Otherwise, Kidd was the leader of the Mavs last year. He ran the offense. Dirk made the shots and got the MVP, but Kidd was the leader of the offense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This.

Pippen was the real PG of the Bulls

My Team
    Miami Heat
    Post Count
    Still stands true. Sorry Spurs fans...

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    If only

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still stands true. Sorry Spurs fans...
    There's not a large separation between Parker and Duncan in terms of their importance to the team's success. The fact that SA had two bigs to defend two bigs cannot be ignored. The Spurs scored well in the paint, but not because Tony is far and away the best player on the team. It's because they play team basketball. Teams that are far and away led by smaller PGs are, of course, not as built to win it all as are teams who have bigs as the best players on the team. That's because the concept of being the best player entails that the team runs the offense through you, and they funnel to you on defense. You get the shots, you get the stops, ergo you're seen as the best on the team. When your team's system has a Steph Curry chucking the ball from 30' instead of attacking the paint or playing inside out, the PG is going to be seen as the best on the team because he has the ball most often. Of course you'll be destroyed when your shots don't fall or if anyone shows on you and you have to try to hybrid in a post game mid series.

These are things we know.

Oh, and lol post Decision registrants..

Die hard Heat fans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no, the PG is the player who plays point guard, which nearly all the time is the shortest player on the court for the team. Not the player who handles the ball a lot. He might be a point forward, but he's not a point guard. The straws you're grasping at to disprove my theory only strengthen it.
    At least the theory remains intact...

Thread Information