My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I have Verizon Fios internet and they provide a free modem and router for their service. The only problem is that it sucks... lol

It is fine for wired connections, but for wireless it is lacking to say the least. If I want to make the signal better and faster, would I get another router and hook it up or could I buy a wireless extender?

I was looking at this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833168045

Mr Robinsons hood denizen Creepn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What do you mean "lacking". The router has a very weak signal even if you are in the next room?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    correct. And sometimes it would disconnect. I would never be more than 20ft away

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    brad2217 is a got

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Google the model number, maybe you'll find a firmware update, or some other solution.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Its a shi**y verizon one made by motorola. I have tried to update the firmware and changed the channel settings etc, same problem.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    brad2217 is a got
    no

Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Viva Las Espuelas's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe it's your wifi adapter.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Its a shi**y verizon one made by motorola. I have tried to update the firmware and changed the channel settings etc, same problem.
    you just dont know what the you are doing

dumbass

on instagram, str8 flexin DUNCANownsKOBE's Avatar
    My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    lol Brad
    lol cool name

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    lol Brad
    lol gy name

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    PC WIFI adapters are fkn compared to whats installed in laptops....

Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Viva Las Espuelas's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    PC WIFI adapters are fkn compared to whats installed in laptops....
    Really? Why's that?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the issue is affecting multiple machines/devices, and you have tried firmware updates, different channels, and resetting, then yes, it's probably the router.

If that router was given to you by Verizon, then you may be able to contact them and about the performance to the point where they will give you a new/different one. Perhaps performance on that one will be better.

If all of their routers just happen to suck, then yes, your next best bet would be to buy a wireless router to use as your wireless access point. I've never had a whole lot of luck with extenders, especially if your initial signal is weak. If you do add a 2nd router into your network though, keep in mind that either your Verizon FIOS device, OR the router you purchase, will need to have routing /DHCP services disabled. If you have two devices trying to handle the routing, you will get Double-NAT errors and won't be able to connect reliably.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    correct. And sometimes it would disconnect. I would never be more than 20ft away
    where is your router? there are many other devices that can screw with your router such as cordless phones, fridge, microwave, steel frames ever lead paint

bandwagon hater
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    where is your router? there are many other devices that can screw with your router such as cordless phones, fridge, microwave, steel frames ever lead paint
    This... Just being centralized in your home isnt good enough... but I think you need to clarify... is it your computers that are dropping their connection, or the router itself dropping its connection, or is it the modem itself thats dropping the connection. You need to check that first.

If its the computers, and not the router, it may be your router placement or it may be your wireless adapter in your PC.

If its the router losing internet connection, you might still have access to your LAN. This may be the modem itself losing connection or you may have a ty router.

If your losing internet connectivity, make sure the modem is still connected (should have a ready light). If not, call your internet provider and request a firmware push to the modem. If that doesnt fix it, take it in for a replacement.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This... Just being centralized in your home isnt good enough... but I think you need to clarify... is it your computers that are dropping your connection, or the router itself dropping its connection while being directly connected to the modem?
    yeah I just rolled out on a trouble call for poor internet speed and I get out there and the dude had his router 2 rooms away under a desk.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    If the issue is affecting multiple machines/devices, and you have tried firmware updates, different channels, and resetting, then yes, it's probably the router.

If that router was given to you by Verizon, then you may be able to contact them and about the performance to the point where they will give you a new/different one. Perhaps performance on that one will be better.

If all of their routers just happen to suck, then yes, your next best bet would be to buy a wireless router to use as your wireless access point. I've never had a whole lot of luck with extenders, especially if your initial signal is weak. If you do add a 2nd router into your network though, keep in mind that either your Verizon FIOS device, OR the router you purchase, will need to have routing /DHCP services disabled. If you have two devices trying to handle the routing, you will get Double-NAT errors and won't be able to connect reliably.

I never thought about it being my laptop. Ill have to try it on the PS3 and see what the connection is like. I get 20down 5 up when im plugged in but only like 6down .1up when I am wireless (on the laptop) and the connection issues right now.

Thanks for the help!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This... Just being centralized in your home isnt good enough... but I think you need to clarify... is it your computers that are dropping their connection, or the router itself dropping its connection, or is it the modem itself thats dropping the connection. You need to check that first.

If its the computers, and not the router, it may be your router placement or it may be your wireless adapter in your PC.

If its the router losing internet connection, you might still have access to your LAN. This may be the modem itself losing connection or you may have a ty router.

If your losing internet connectivity, make sure the modem is still connected (should have a ready light). If not, call your internet provider and request a firmware push to the modem. If that doesnt fix it, take it in for a replacement.
    Wireless interference can be a real .

One of the better stories I've heard of was about an Apple customer that would call in because every day, their wireless signal from their Airport router just went to . During the day, no devices could connect. At night, it seemed to work fine. Tried resetting, changing channels, no luck. If they brought it in and tested it at the Apple store, worked fine during the day. As soon as they got it home, back to crap. Replaced the Airport, same thing.

Turns out that they lived across the street from a big hangar at an Air Force base, and every day from like 7a-7p they would open up the hangar doors facing directly towards the house. Apparently there was enough interference being generated and funneled right at them that it just totally put them in a dead zone....well, during the day, at least.

What I want to know is how many questions did that support guy have to ask before they finally narrowed it down to that?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    lol Brad
    lol gy name
    You are a fuc*ing g*t. Burn in h*ll you stupid son of a bi*ch!

Thread Information