Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Drachen does it play mkvs?
    That is one of the biggest selling points of the WDs, they play EVERYTHING. Well everything outside of FLVs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I will say this though, I installed the Boxee software onto my laptop and it seems to be pretty awesome. It makes me want to buy a boxee box especially since I have read that the PC software is far inferior to what is on the boxee box, and it is still pretty good.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Why not build a HTPC + NAS. Then run XBMC on it.

btw XBMC>>>>>>>>Boxee

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why not build a HTPC + NAS. Then run XBMC on it.

btw XBMC>>>>>>>>Boxee
    I don't really know anything about XBMC. Correct me if I am wrong, but it is a full PC, right? Does it automatically find all of the TV shows available online and place them within the UI without you having to go to the individual websites to find them like Boxee does? (BTW I have a 2GB NAS hooked up to the network... it is where the WDs pull from)

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    robino, I think you would need to install custom firmware on the WDTV live plus to use it as a media server. I personally have it with stock firmware, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't do that (the Hub supposedly does, from what I read). I think Drachen has a live plus with custom firmware so he should be able to tell you.
    Yea, if you install wdlxtv live plus (the only custom firmware that I am aware of for the WDs) you can access whatever storage is plugged into the USB port on the WD from the network (among dozens of other added featurs). I can barely remember, but I have a vague recollection of being able to add/subtract files from the USB on my WD live with stock firmware (this was before I had my plus) using ftp to push the files. A bit of a pain, but if you are scared of the custom firmware, then it is an option. I do, however recommend the custom firmware in which case, you can save yourself the money you would spend on the hub.
    By no means am I saying either of y'll are wrong - actually I quite appreciate the feedback. In doing a little searching, I did run into someone saying they were able to have a WD Live Plus in one room (call it WD1) with a HD (HD1) hooked up to it and then another WD Live Plus in another room (WD2) and they were able to pull movies from HD1 onto WD2 as long as the sharing was set up appropriately. Now, in my case, I wouldn't have the multiple WD boxes - I'd be using my 360/PS3 in one room and a Sony HTIAB in another room. I'm almost thinking about picking up a WD Live Plus from Best Buy ($130 I believe) this weekend and trying it out to see if it works. Either way I'd take it back, if it works, buy the Live Plus from Amazon (~$85 right now).

If it didn't work, I was planning on doing the Live Hub but I'm open to the custom firmware route if you'd be willing to point me in the right direction (I'll search around on it a little too). Either way - thanks again for the info.

***Edit - nevermind on the wdlxtv stuff... pretty easy find and actually one of my coworkers is using it as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By no means am I saying either of y'll are wrong - actually I quite appreciate the feedback. In doing a little searching, I did run into someone saying they were able to have a WD Live Plus in one room (call it WD1) with a HD (HD1) hooked up to it and then another WD Live Plus in another room (WD2) and they were able to pull movies from HD1 onto WD2 as long as the sharing was set up appropriately. Now, in my case, I wouldn't have the multiple WD boxes - I'd be using my 360/PS3 in one room and a Sony HTIAB in another room. I'm almost thinking about picking up a WD Live Plus from Best Buy ($130 I believe) this weekend and trying it out to see if it works. Either way I'd take it back, if it works, buy the Live Plus from Amazon (~$85 right now).

If it didn't work, I was planning on doing the Live Hub but I'm open to the custom firmware route if you'd be willing to point me in the right direction (I'll search around on it a little too). Either way - thanks again for the info.

***Edit - nevermind on the wdlxtv stuff... pretty easy find and actually one of my coworkers is using it as well.
    You could be right. It has been a long time since I tried that (Like I said I have a WD worldbook NAS that is wired through ethernet to my router, that is where everything is stored. I have an old 320 GB usb drive that I will plug into the live (not plus, because it is on stock firmware) and check for you. Also, the Live Plus is on BB.com for only 99 bucks (I saw it in the store a few weeks ago for the same when I was returning my otterbox for my evo 3d).... Besides, you want the custom firmware since it allows you to use the remote control android (and presumably apple) app.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digita...ef=pd_sbs_op_2

Holy crap how had I not seen this before??? Definitely going to pick one up for 85 bucks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's what I have. It's a nice little box.

I think the reason I didn't pick up a Boxee was that it was more expensive at the time. The price difference didn't seem to justify what I was going to use it for.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's what I have. It's a nice little box.

I think the reason I didn't pick up a Boxee was that it was more expensive at the time. The price difference didn't seem to justify what I was going to use it for.
    Yeah, it is more expensive. Basically it looks like a better version of a roku (great internet streaming) with a slightly worse version of the WD (local content access without quite as much support for codecs). If you look at it that way it is like buying 2 devices for about 60-70 percent more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The price bumps up to 97 when I include the USB N internet adapter but thats not really a big deal.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The price bumps up to 97 when I include the USB N internet adapter but thats not really a big deal.
    can't just plug it in?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What do you mean internet adapter? The thing has an ehternet + USB plug built in. Or do you mean wifi?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, it is more expensive. Basically it looks like a better version of a roku (great internet streaming) with a slightly worse version of the WD (local content access without quite as much support for codecs). If you look at it that way it is like buying 2 devices for about 60-70 percent more.
    tbh, I'm pleased with the WD replacing my old Popcorn hour. I didn't even bother with the custom FW since it does what I need to do with the stock FW.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wifi. I don't want to run wires as this will be in my bedroom. I have the PS3 on my main TV and thats wired.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wifi. I don't want to run wires as this will be in my bedroom. I have the PS3 on my main TV and thats wired.
    ahh ok, i prefer to wire when I can.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really with a good N connection I find it uneccessary. I can stream 1080p quality files over an N connection and its typically just fine.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Grabbed the live plus tonight at BB - you're right, it was $99 there. Will still likely take it back even if it works and go through amazon... $110 after tax w/ BB, $85 w/o tax at Amazon.

Will try the streaming stuff eventually this weekend. Still playing with the best way to rip a dvd and "compress" (I know it's not technically compression) it down into a .mkv or whatever that will be as universal as possible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really with a good N connection I find it uneccessary. I can stream 1080p quality files over an N connection and its typically just fine.
    I have watched planet earth HD (1080p) on the live plus using that particular wireless N dongle. It works great.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    I'm getting the revuentomorrow.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't play around with it too much last night but was unable to get the Live Plus to push to other equipment using standard settings. Kinda leaning towards just going with the Live Hub... I'd likely buy another hard drive if I stuck with the live plus anyway - so why not just pay the money for the plus + the hd to get the live hub and know it'll work like I want.

At least that's the thought process for now. Could easily change.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Grabbed the live plus tonight at BB - you're right, it was $99 there. Will still likely take it back even if it works and go through amazon... $110 after tax w/ BB, $85 w/o tax at Amazon.

Will try the streaming stuff eventually this weekend. Still playing with the best way to rip a dvd and "compress" (I know it's not technically compression) it down into a .mkv or whatever that will be as universal as possible.
    I bought one of the new Apple TVs last year, mainly because of the capability to push stuff from my phone to the TV, and to use my iPhone as a fully functional remote for it. I have ripped around 100 DVDs and Blu Rays in the last year.

The best way I have found to rip regular DVDs is with Handbrake - you go from a regular DVD, where the video file is anywhere from 2GB to 8GB depending on the movie. Using Handbrake, I can get that file down to under 3GB as an m4v or mp4, which the WD Live should easily play. mkvs I download I also use handbrake to convert, and it generally halves the file size, which is great for saving space (and the Apple TV upconverts to 720p which is all my tv does anyway). There are a bunch of presets and customization options available if you're not concerned with saving space though. If you are ripping a movie with sub les, make sure you add them into the file under the sub le section though. It won't do it by default.

For Blu Rays, there is a more complicated way and a simple way. They are much more protected than regular DVDs, and you would likely need AnyDVD HD just to rip the image, then demux it by running it through TS Muxer, then recombine and remux the files together with another program. It's not terribly hard, but it does involve multiple steps.

http://lifehacker.com/5559007/the-ha...ray-collection

Alternatively, you can just use Make MKV and make mkv files in a few clicks - and it's still free since it is in beta, and it works great:

http://makemkv.com/
    Last edited by leemajors; 08-20-2011 at 10:02 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The best way I have found to rip regular DVDs is with Handbrake - you go from a regular DVD, where the video file is anywhere from 2GB to 8GB depending on the movie. Using Handbrake, I can get that file down to under 3GB as an m4v or mp4, which the WD Live should easily play. mkvs I download I also use handbrake to convert, and it generally halves the file size, which is great for saving space (and the Apple TV upconverts to 720p which is all my tv does anyway).
    any clip thats in mkv format 720/1080 around 2gb+ is worth the dl...hate fkn tools who rip them down to 500mb looks then avi....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I bought one of the new Apple TVs last year, mainly because of the capability to push stuff from my phone to the TV, and to use my iPhone as a fully functional remote for it. I have ripped around 100 DVDs and Blu Rays in the last year.

The best way I have found to rip regular DVDs is with Handbrake - you go from a regular DVD, where the video file is anywhere from 2GB to 8GB depending on the movie. Using Handbrake, I can get that file down to under 3GB as an m4v or mp4, which the WD Live should easily play. mkvs I download I also use handbrake to convert, and it generally halves the file size, which is great for saving space (and the Apple TV upconverts to 720p which is all my tv does anyway). There are a bunch of presets and customization options available if you're not concerned with saving space though. If you are ripping a movie with sub les, make sure you add them into the file under the sub le section though. It won't do it by default.

For Blu Rays, there is a more complicated way and a simple way. They are much more protected than regular DVDs, and you would likely need AnyDVD HD just to rip the image, then demux it by running it through TS Muxer, then recombine and remux the files together with another program. It's not terribly hard, but it does involve multiple steps.

http://lifehacker.com/5559007/the-ha...ray-collection

Alternatively, you can just use Make MKV and make mkv files in a few clicks - and it's still free since it is in beta, and it works great:

http://makemkv.com/
    Yeah, this is a pretty cool feature, the WDs have been able to do that for a pretty good while with DLNA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    any clip thats in mkv format 720/1080 around 2gb+ is worth the dl...hate fkn tools who rip them down to 500mb looks then avi....
    they don't look like converted with handbrake on the computer, and the Apple TV upscales to 720p pretty well. I used some other tools before that that did look like though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ordered the WD and adapter today. Will report back this week.

Thread Information