bandwagon hater
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First: Beta is not open to the public, so I will not name my friend who had access to it...

Second: This is an account from me, Phyzik, not an article from Gamespy or anything like that.

I will try not to spoil it but I may drop a few here and there.

It plays pretty much through the first several missions (didnt complete them all.) in Detroit city. It ends when you start to head to Shangri La.

So The first part of the game, you start out as a "pure" human. No augments. goes down and you are lead down a definate linear course to start out. Basically an extended tutorial. You end up getting your ass trashed pretty bad at the end of the first part. 6 months later, your augmented and get sent on another mission, although just a little bit less linear.

This is the second "augmented Tutorial" mission. Dont watch if you dont want spoilers, but even so, I found many different paths while playing through it that where not shown in the video....

What options you pick in the first "augmented tutorial" will affect what weapons you start out with. I dont know all the options as I only played through it twice, but highlight the rest of this quote to see what I learned: Generally, picking the agressive option with long range gives you a sniper rifle, a sub-machinegun and a shotgun.... picking the non-agressive route with close range gives you a stun gun, a shotgun and a tranq rifle (i think).

It was at this point I got pretty discouraged, thinking the game was just a series of "missions" and not like the Deus Ex I remember. Thankfully, I was wrong.

After you complete the "tutorial" and the second "augmented Tutorial" you are thankfully given access to Detroit City. Now, its not Grand Theft Auto big, not by a long shot, but its a decent size and there are multiple paths to different area's.

There where multiple side quests, a few of wich I couldnt complete, either because I didnt have the augments, or just didnt know how to cir vent the obvious route (which is most likely the case).

The graphics are a bit disappointing but any Deus Ex fan (or any fan of solid, awesome gameplay) should be able to forgive this. Also, there where a TON of bugs in the beta version I played. Hopefully, they dont translate to the release version. I doubt they will, they where pretty minor. Things like models popping out of the floor suddenly, text in the tutorial video's being text from conversations of NPC's instead of the sub le for the tutorial video itself and static models of supposed-to-be Dynamic models.

The game really does make you feel like a bad-ass augmented super-spy once you get passed the first few missions and get some good augments. I highly recommend playing as a stealth/hacker character. You get to see some interesting playing that way instead of the typical run-and-gun meat head.

All-in-all, after playing through the beta, I pre-ordered right after. It's Deus Ex thru and thru.

If anyone doubts I played the beta, I will gladly PM you the details of each mission, their discriptions, and how I completed the beta. Unless you played the beta though, you wont be able to believe me until you have played it yourself and see the mission descriptions yourself.

Needless to say, I think this is going to be an awesome addition to the Deus Ex franchise. Cant wait for the full release.
    Last edited by phyzik; 08-07-2011 at 11:56 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    looking forward to it

These aren't the droids you're looking for jman3000's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I loved the first and even though the second received a lot of flak, I enjoyed it as well.

This, Rage, and BF3 are the les I have the highest hopes for this year, but I'm thinking at least one of those will disappoint.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is pretty much mandatory when i see this game le:

bandwagon hater
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forgot to mention a few things since I was pretty tired when I posted this....

The keyboard/mouse controls where a bit confusing and the beta tutorials obviously favored a 360 controller (like press "A" to jump instead of spacebar).

Hopefully this is adressed in the final release and the tutorials recognize what control setup your using. Besides that, it was easy enough to go check the keyboard layout and change it to your liking.... I ended up playing it with a 360 controller even though Im a hardcore keyboard/mouse guy. Didnt want to waste time fiddling with key mappings.

Suprisingly, it controlled pretty well with the controller when your not running and gunning though I think I'll stick to keyboard and mouse once released.

The voice acting is OK... Not terrible but not great either. It's a mixed bag. Some of the voice acting is pretty damn good (The boss of Sarif industries, I think his name is Michael Sarif, I thought was done quite well), but there are other characters throughout the game that cover a wide spectrum from downright bad to pretty good.

As far as graphics go, I was running on a system with 8gb of RAM, an AMD Phenom II black edition @ 3.2GHz with an HD4890 Radeon card. Graphics where maxed out and had no noticable frame skipping.

I cant stress enough how many multiple "routes" you can take to complete missions or to gain access to certain area's. The police precinct alone had more vent shafts than I could begin to explore.

The coolest aug for me was the stealth aug and it can be used to great effect even if you end up in a big firefight. At one point while playing I made a mistake of being noticed while hacking a computer after crawling through some vent shafts and like 10 enemies where taking cover and taking pot shots at me. I went into stealth/invisibility and managed to go around them... They still kept shooting at my previous location thinking I was still there. I was then able to creep up behind each one of them and take them out.... all the while their buddies kept firing at my previous position... It was pretty freaking cool.

This is how Alpha Protocol should have been.

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    Day 1 buy for me.
    Deus Ex 1 is legendary.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ How is it?

Live by what you Speak. DarkReign's Avatar
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Read a couple reviews.

Sounds like the size of the city-hubs was downsized to accommodate consoles, along with anything resembling depth or difficulty.

I'll pass until its $20 on Steam.

hope and change
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ing consoles, they were largely to blame for the failure of invisible war too

Thread Information