My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's some ed up .

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/24/ga...ons-from-reta/

Hey, remember the free Deus Ex: Human Revolution OnLive code that comes with the retail PC version? If you bought your copy at GameStop, chances are you didn't get the code. It turns out that the retailer decided not to participate in the promotion ... by force.

GameSpy is reporting that GameStop employees received notice yesterday that they were to open new PC copies of Deus Ex and remove the free OnLive token. To repeat: GameStop employees were told to open new copies and remove contents intended to be sold with the game.

A GameStop representative confirmed to GameSpy that the company is removing the tokens, saying, "Square Enix packed the compe or's coupon with our DXHR product without our prior knowledge and we did pull and discard these coupons." Indeed, some of our own commenters claiming to be GameStop employees said the same thing in our post revealing the OnLive promotion yesterday.

Joystiq is currently investigating the issue, including the possible legal implications of tampering with a product and selling it as new.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's the letter

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man - thats shady as .

These aren't the droids you're looking for jman3000's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This has class action lawsuit written all over it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This has class action lawsuit written all over it.
    That, plus OnLive lawsuit on the way too. It's going to cost them more than giving the stupid vouchers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Uh did does gamestop not have a legal department?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now they've pulled all PC versions of Deus EX off the shelves.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/24/ga...s-from-shelve/

GameStop has apparently sent another message out to its retail locations, this time asking all of its stores to pull any PC copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution off of its shelves, and place them in the backroom, eventually to be returned to publisher Square Enix. This all after this morning's news that GameStop had directed its employees to pull coupons out of the boxes for the OnLive streaming service.

The latest email confirms that GameStop is indeed working on a competing service with its acquisition of Spawn Labs, and that because of an "agreement" with Square Enix, all of the game's copies will be recalled back to the publisher. The one exception is reserved copies, which will still be honored for purchase.

GameStop has also pulled the PC version of the game from its website, though the console versions are still for sale. Joystiq has confirmed with local stores that the memo was received and copies were being pulled. We're also contacting GameStop corporate for an official statement on the matter.

Thread Information