My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    It’s the quiet ones you have to worry about, and from the beginning of this mess, Oklahoma has been way too quiet. Finally, there’s speculation the Sooners have a wandering eye. If OU goes, the Big 12 is dead.

As we’ve learned the last 18 months, these things happen quickly. The Big 12 could last another year or two, or it could be gone by sundown. This isn’t a big deal to Texas or Texas Tech, but it has to be terrifying to Baylor.

And it would just about end any chance SMU and Houston have of joining a BCS Conference.

Among the scenarios being floated this morning are Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas and Texas Tech joining the Pac 12. Accordingly, if that happens, the Longhorn Network would be merged into the Pac 12 network, and a super conference would be born.......

........In his column, Kirk Bohls speculates that the Longhorns would love to leave for the Pac 12, but need OU to take the first step given the sensitive nature of damage that would be done to Baylor. If OU goes first, the Big 12 is no longer viable, and Texas must decide whether to play as an independent or join the Pac 12. DeLoss Dodds consistently has maintained that being an independent would be the least attractive option for Texas.

http://blog.chron.com/sportsjustice/...t-of-business/

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count

The point of the last paragraph was really meant to point out what DeLoss has said about being independent.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

The point of the last paragraph was really meant to point out what DeLoss has said about being independent.
    I hope that at this time next year, Aggy is securely in the SEC and Tech, Texas, OU, and OSU are in the Pac 16. Please let this happen. independence. Make it happen OU or Missouri. Just ing go.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    of course, there's this:

As if to add a tanker full of fuel to the fire of speculation, Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott issued a statement to Suzanne Halliburton of the American-Statesman that does not dismiss Bohls’ scenario. At all.

“While I cannot predict if and when this (Pac-12 expansion) might make sense for us, we will listen to and evaluate any scenario that would benefit our member ins utions, our student-athletes and our fans,” Scott told the paper.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...later/related/

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    of course, there's this:
    Larry Scott is what Dan Beebe could be if Dan Beebe had a penis with some testicles hanging below.

My Team
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    Post Count
    OU and OSU are a package deal. If they make the jump to the Pac-12 and the SEC adds A&M plus 1 I don't know if the Pac-12 would then add Texas and whomever.

I guess there are so many different scenarios/options out there that make this very interesting.

I'm curious what the Big 10 would do (if anything at all) if the SEC and Pac-12 go to 14 or 16 teams.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    OU and OSU are a package deal. If they make the jump to the Pac-12 and the SEC adds A&M plus 1 I don't know if the Pac-12 would then add Texas and whomever.

I guess there are so many different scenarios/options out there that make this very interesting.

I'm curious what the Big 10 would do (if anything at all) if the SEC and Pac-12 go to 14 or 16 teams.
    You don't know if the Pac 12 would add Texas if it also adds OU/OSU?

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    Yeah, OU has the ability to kill the conference. But they want to stick with Texas, which basically amounts to OU forfeiting their power to kill the conference. OU isn't going to the pac 12 without getting assurances from Texas that they want to join the pac 12 too.

My Team
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    Post Count
    You don't know if the Pac 12 would add Texas if it also adds OU/OSU?
    Ok, I'm not 100% sold that they would if there are still issues with the LHN. If concessions are made by Texas in regards to their LHN I think the Pac-12 would love to have Texas. Interesting how it will play out nonetheless.

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    Wouldn't they have to expand? If they don't, they're basically giving the SEC and Pac first dibs on picking teams for the superconference era. The ACC is going to want to get in on that action too.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Ok, I'm not 100% sold that they would if there are still issues with the LHN. If concessions are made by Texas in regards to their LHN I think the Pac-12 would love to have Texas. Interesting how it will play out nonetheless.
    Of course Texas would have to make concessions. And I don't see them doing this unless they're forced to. Which is why Oklahoma needs to step up.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Wouldn't they have to expand? If they don't, they're basically giving the SEC and Pac first dibs on picking teams for the superconference era. The ACC is going to want to get in on that action too.
    Once this goes down, Notre Dame is going to be forced to pick a side and the Big 10 is the logical choice for them. That will probably be their only move besides adding another team (Missouri?).

My Team
    Oklahoma Sooners
    Post Count
    Yeah, OU has the ability to kill the conference. But they want to stick with Texas, which basically amounts to OU forfeiting their power to kill the conference. OU isn't going to the pac 12 without getting assurances from Texas that they want to join the pac 12 too.
    OU dose wanna stay with texas, but make no mistake about it the Sooners will bolt on texas in a heart beat if it is good for the school.

The Sooners know they need to keep playing texas to be able to keep recruiting the state, but joining the pac whatever will open up Ca more than it already is in terms of recruiting and the Sooners have been able to pull a few kids over the years

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Seems to me immediately inviting Missouri, Kansas and even Iowa St would be the no-brainer.

As you've pointed out in the past, I would wonder about K St and their not being an AAU member.

I also wonder if Notre Dame still would say no to joining.

My Team
    Oklahoma Sooners
    Post Count
    If you believe all you read Oklahoma wants to be in the pac 10,12,14,16 more than they want to stay in the b12 but are being careful and waiting for the pac what ever to come to them

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    OU dose wanna stay with texas, but make no mistake about it the Sooners will bolt on texas in a heart beat if it is good for the school.

The Sooners know they need to keep playing texas to be able to keep recruiting the state, but joining the pac whatever will open up Ca more than it already is in terms of recruiting and the Sooners have been able to pull a few kids over the years
    I wonder what would happen if OU and OSU took off to the Pac 12 on their own.

My guess is that UT would go indy.

Tech, Baylor, Houston, SMU, Rice, UTSA, Texas St, New Mexico, Tulsa, Oral Roberts, Univeristy of Phoenix online and Southlake Carroll then form the new Big XII thanks to fast thinking from Dan Beebe.

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    Once this goes down, Notre Dame is going to be forced to pick a side and the Big 10 is the logical choice for them. That will probably be their only move besides adding another team (Missouri?).
    Big 10 definitely has to hold a spot for ND. The problem for the big 10 though is that the longer ND holds out, the greater the risk of losing someone like a Missouri to another conference. If the SEC is looking to expand their footprint, Missouri makes a lot of sense for them.

I agree that OU will do what's best for OU, but if bolting on Texas isn't what's best for OU, then they're not going to bolt on Texas. That pretty much puts Texas in the position of making decisions for the both of them, doesn't it?

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    I wonder what would happen if OU and OSU took off to the Pac 12 on their own.

My guess is that UT would go indy.

Tech, Baylor, Houston, SMU, Rice, UTSA, Texas St, New Mexico, Tulsa, Oral Roberts, Univeristy of Phoenix online and Southlake Carroll then form the new Big XII thanks to fast thinking from Dan Beebe.

My Team
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    Post Count
    Seems to me immediately inviting Missouri, Kansas and even Iowa St would be the no-brainer.
    No way Kansas and Iowa St see the Big 10 in my opinion. They would go after Virginia & Maryland before those 2 schools. Maybe Missouri, but I even think that is a stretch.

As you've pointed out in the past, I would wonder about K St and their not being an AAU member.
    Not sure about KSU's academic status, but the Big 10 would look for schools that fit in academically or very close to it. I know the AAU thing is important but it is not an end all be all, because they would take ND in a second.

I also wonder if Notre Dame still would say no to joining.
    If they only go to 14 I think ND stays independent, but if it goes to 16 I think ND caves in and joins the Big 10.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    No way Kansas and Iowa St see the Big 10 in my opinion. They would go after Virginia & Maryland before those 2 schools. Maybe Missouri, but I even think that is a stretch.
    why Virginia and Maryland?

My Team
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    Post Count
    why Virginia and Maryland?
    Both schools are strong academically for one. While not football powerhouses that expand the foot print of the Big 10 and open the DC market to the B1G. I know those schools have been on the B1G's radar for awhile. I am not to keen on them personally.

Adding Iowa St and Kansas does not do much for the BTN. Missouri has the best chance of the schools you mentioned. I think Missouri is more likely to tag along with A&M to the SEC.

I guess time will tell.

My Team
    Oklahoma Sooners
    Post Count
    Big 10 definitely has to hold a spot for ND. The problem for the big 10 though is that the longer ND holds out, the greater the risk of losing someone like a Missouri to another conference. If the SEC is looking to expand their footprint, Missouri makes a lot of sense for them.

I agree that OU will do what's best for OU, but if bolting on Texas isn't what's best for OU, then they're not going to bolt on Texas. That pretty much puts Texas in the position of making decisions for the both of them, doesn't it?
    Yes and no, if the school feels like they can leave texas behind and recruit Ca and keep the pipe line they have in texas than they would bolt on ut

Thread Information