Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry, but yes it is. That card is functionally weaker than a 9800GT, which was released almost 4 years ago and wasn't top of the line back then. Any modern game is going to depend on your videocard being fairly robust, much more than any other aspect of your system, and Battlefield 3 is the most demanding game in existence at the moment. The 240 is a derivative of the 215 which is essentially one step up from an integrated chipset. It was never meant to even attempt running BF3.

Get yourself a 6870, 6950, or Ti560 and it won't even seem like the same game.
    I run a 6870 and the game still looks like . The only thing I like better about this game are the hit registrations. Everything else blows. You can't even say it's realistic because it's not at all. When people camp like that you can call in artillery or have mortars dropped on them. The game we're playing right now is basically a WW1 reenactment with bad graphics. It sucks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol

SW: Hot As Hell
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry, but yes it is. That card is functionally weaker than a 9800GT, which was released almost 4 years ago and wasn't top of the line back then. Any modern game is going to depend on your videocard being fairly robust, much more than any other aspect of your system, and Battlefield 3 is the most demanding game in existence at the moment. The 240 is a derivative of the 215 which is essentially one step up from an integrated chipset. It was never meant to even attempt running BF3.

Get yourself a 6870, 6950, or Ti560 and it won't even seem like the same game.
    But will this make the gameplay good? I don't feel it will based on playing the BETA. And I do play other games without problems all the time. (COD-BO, Crysis 2, MOH, Fallout NV, Mass Effect 2, etc.) Non of these games felt crippled like this one does, and it's not really just graphics that are doing it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I couldn't really focus much on gameplay, as the poor graphics from my twenty year old video card couldn't handle this cutting edge, not even released yet game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not sure the contract argument works when AT&T is always offering early discounted upgrades.

I can't speak for anyone else but the upgrade would cost me right around 340.00. If I can sell my iPhone 4 for 300-340, I'd probably do so.

As for being underwhelmed, I'm not sure why anyone is surprised based on Apple's release history.

All this spec bs gets old to me. My iPhone 4 does everything I throw at it, and I'm sure it will do SIRI too with some hacks. At this point we're sort of getting where PC's have gotten, which is to say nobody really needs a new one because there isn't much of anything software wise pushing the need for new hardware.
    lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I said from the beginning it was out of date. Yet I don't have these issues with other games just the BETA. I know it’s a BETA, but as others have questioned, why release something with so many bugs? I was just looking for a discussion about it, since I had been eagerly waiting for the release for a while and played it for the first time yesterday.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't think I had to say it but the obvious exception is gaming. There may be some exceptions for HD video editing and some Photoshop work.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You got me though, and you're right it is buggy even with a decent video card, but you did start by saying what I quoted, without my modifications obviously.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't think I had to say it but the obvious exception is gaming. There may be some exceptions for HD video editing and some Photoshop work.
    Yeah knew you didn't mean gaming, just getting back at you for laughing at my stoneage card. I guess I will have to look at upgrading sooner than later. Was look at the 560 that CH had mentioned. You or anyone have a good suggestion, bang for the buck, or even a twin setup?

I was looking at some on Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127608

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Useruser666; 10-05-2011 at 02:52 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Craigslist ftw? I used this Passmark link I got from here to help me out a bit and point me in the right direction.

The card I originally had was ranked 76th, the one I upgraded to which cost me 125.00 on Craigslist - 50.00 that I sold my old card for which equals 75.00, anyhow that card is ranked 15th. The card you linked to ranks 9th, and the card you had ranks 102.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Craigslist ftw? I used this Passmark link I got from here to help me out a bit and point me in the right direction.

The card I originally had was ranked 76th, the one I upgraded to which cost me 125.00 on Craigslist - 50.00 that I sold my old card for which equals 75.00, anyhow that card is ranked 15th. The card you linked to ranks 9th, and the card you had ranks 102.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php
    Thanks for the link. I'm not sure about Craigslist, though I've had good experience with Newegg and the return policy and may stick with them. Plus I usually sell MY junk on Craigslist. Lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By all means, whatever works for you.

These aren't the droids you're looking for jman3000's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    General benchmarks are generally useless. That ranks the 6850 ahead of the 6870, but I can tell you from first hand experience having owned both that the 6870 is much superior.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it's useful generally speaking as a guide. Sometimes naming conventions can be confusing, and sometimes the highest quality last generation card is better than the lowest quality next generation card, so something like this can help.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The spawning in this game is ing dreadful, even at the base spawns it's just a spawn killing fest.

Kooler than Jesus Nathan Explosion's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The spawning in this game is ing dreadful, even at the base spawns it's just a spawn killing fest.
    I felt that way as well. Get in a squad and spawn on a teammate in a safe area or one squad member can set up a safe mobile spawn point. That's how I get around the terrible default spawn point.

I'm actually having fun playing this game. I may add it to my wishlist, behind MW3 and GOW3 of course.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But will this make the gameplay good? I don't feel it will based on playing the BETA. And I do play other games without problems all the time. (COD-BO, Crysis 2, MOH, Fallout NV, Mass Effect 2, etc.) Non of these games felt crippled like this one does, and it's not really just graphics that are doing it.
    DICE has openly stated that this Beta was a TRUE beta, as in, an engine that was over a month older than their most recent build. They also said that they were releasing it for people to test out and find bugs, not to play the game. They apologized for all the glitches, and said they would be fixed by the time the game releases. They have stated with certainty that the "falling through map" glitch, the latency problems, and all other major issues will not ship with the full game. Some of the problems are going to be hotfixed with the beta, but others will only be ready for the full release.

How much truth there is in that statement is open to interpretation, but I trust DICE, they tend to not take customer feedback lightly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DICE has openly stated that this Beta was a TRUE beta, as in, an engine that was over a month older than their most recent build. They also said that they were releasing it for people to test out and find bugs, not to play the game. They apologized for all the glitches, and said they would be fixed by the time the game releases. They have stated with certainty that the "falling through map" glitch, the latency problems, and all other major issues will not ship with the full game. Some of the problems are going to be hotfixed with the beta, but others will only be ready for the full release.

How much truth there is in that statement is open to interpretation, but I trust DICE, they tend to not take customer feedback lightly.
    I sure hope so....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kinda funny how the meaning of beta has changed over the years. People complaining about buggy Betas make me LOL.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kinda funny how the meaning of beta has changed over the years. People complaining about buggy Betas make me LOL.
    The thing is, how often are Betas released 1 month before the game is coming out? Usually its the demo that comes out with that time frame. I hope they have everything worked out by then. I will probably wait for a few months anyway as there are too many games coming out/came out to play right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah I'll probably be picking this up around Christmas when the price has gone down little.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    its already been reported this beta is a old code like 3 months old. the reviewers got to play the newest version. they said thats really good and cleans up all the problems. i think dice thought they could handle it and then at the last second said " it just release it. good enough and we keep our promise"

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Anyone know if it has gone gold yet?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i think ppl dunno what beta vs demo is...

Thread Information