Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Engadget reports that Sprint has announced a rollover from WiMAX to LTE for its 4G needs. The company is 'converting its 1900MHz holdings and LightSquared's 1600MHz spectrum ("pending FCC approval") to LTE,' and also re-purposing the section of 800MHz spectrum that was set aside for the defunct iDEN push-to-talk network. 'The company plans for a rapid deployment of this new 4G, with the first LTE markets and handsets to hit in mid-2012 with the full rollout mostly completed by 2013. Current subscribers signed up for WiMAX plans won't have to worry, as their devices will continue to be supported throughout 2012.'"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lower frequencies are definitely a welcome change.

Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Viva Las Espuelas's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why's that?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They're also upgrading their 3g networks. Sprint is likely going to have the best network in the nation in the near future.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They're also upgrading their 3g networks. Sprint is likely going to have the best network in the nation in the near future.
    If they sell enough iPhones...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL! True. Or else one of the others will have that network.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lower frequencies give better penetration through walls/buildings. Should give stronger connection strength.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lower frequencies = less volume too though. But since they're probably retaining the higher freq, then I guess they'll be ok.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    I'm assuming this will cause a price hike on sprint products,plans and such? I got a letter saying they are doing away with the "sprint premier" for other plans which cost more. Or something to that extent,I was to upset to read the rest. bad days

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The premier program allowed you to pay a fixed monthly fee and basically upgrade phones for free ever year. Obviously, they have to sell phones now, that's why it's going away.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lower frequencies give better penetration through walls/buildings. Should give stronger connection strength.
    Lower frequencies = less volume too though. But since they're probably retaining the higher freq, then I guess they'll be ok.

What are your opinions on infrastructure though. In terms of implementation, is one easier to build or support than the other? I don't know much about them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The premier program allowed you to pay a fixed monthly fee and basically upgrade phones for free ever year. Obviously, they have to sell phones now, that's why it's going away.
    You never paid for it. It was a VIP/loyalty program. My 10+ year old account loses good benefits

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You never paid for it. It was a VIP/loyalty program. My 10+ year old account loses good benefits
    Aha... thanks for the info. I left sprint a few good years ago.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

What are your opinions on infrastructure though. In terms of implementation, is one easier to build or support than the other? I don't know much about them.
    A cell tower is a cell tower, lower frequencies mean less towers for same coverage though, but also less volume of data per tower. What gets hard for Sprint is that calls from different towers get routed through the wireline. Obviously, VZN and AT&T already have much of that infrastructure in place for homes. Not sure what Sprint does, if it rents carrying that or roll their own.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well I hope when they stop wimax they give me a early upgrade in a year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's right. Didnt you post that you got the S2? How is it? And, yeah. I wonder how they'll work that towards the end of the contract. If they get off Wimax and your phone is basically useless on the LTE network, would that be considered a breach of contract?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's right. Didnt you post that you got the S2? How is it? And, yeah. I wonder how they'll work that towards the end of the contract. If they get off Wimax and your phone is basically useless on the LTE network, would that be considered a breach of contract?
    I'm sure they'll let you switch to one of these for free:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Screw those RAZR's. But, seriously. Isn't that what the article is stating? "Current subscribers signed up for WiMAX plans won't have to worry, as their devices will continue to be supported throughout 2012." Well, if I get a phone tomorrow from them "with the first LTE markets and handsets to hit in mid-2012" that means I'll have it well into 2013.......
    Maybe I'll go scare a Sprint salesperson in the morning
    I doubt they even know this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm pretty sure the network will still WIMAX after 2012

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Current subscribers signed up for WiMAX plans won't have to worry, as their devices will continue to be supported throughout 2012."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like my phone and I used 4g wimax about 5% of the time so I really wouldn't miss it but it is nice to have when I want to show off a HD YouTube video. That is how I see it now but in a year when everyone is posting fast speed test I may have a different tone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Current subscribers signed up for WiMAX plans won't have to worry, as their devices will continue to be supported throughout 2012."
    Yes, I read that. Doesn't mean much though. Sprints towers are still going to have WiMax hardware.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm pretty sure the network will still WIMAX after 2012
    Probably, but how long? Maybe 2 more years after that? They're going away from it, so switching those people to LTE is going to have to happen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, I read that. Doesn't mean much though. Sprints towers are still going to have WiMax hardware.
    IMO, the idea is to switch over so they don't have to maintain both standards.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How hard is it to maintain it? I figure the idea is to swtich over so not to have to put up a whole WiMax network when you could just put up LTE but once the equipment is there (and I think they also access Clear's network) then its probably not a big deal. I would be surprised to see them just shut it down and I know Clear isn't switching to LTE.

Thread Information