Seeking the quiet mind desflood's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Schiavo Autopsy Finds No Sign of Trauma

By MITCH STACY
    The Associated Press
    Wednesday, June 15, 2005; 11:41 AM

LARGO, Fla. -- An autopsy released Wednesday found no evidence to contradict the diagnosis that Terri Schiavo was in a persistent vegetative state after her 1990 collapse, backing up her husband's contention that she would not have recovered if she was given additional therapy as her parents requested.

"There's nothing in her autopsy report that is inconsistent with a persistent vegetative state," said Dr. Stephen J. Nelson, a medical examiner who assisted in the autopsy.

Pinellas-Pasco Medical Examiner Jon Thogmartin, who led the autopsy team, concluded that there was no evidence of strangulation or other trauma leading to her collapse. He also said she did not appear to have suffered a heart attack and there was no evidence that she was given harmful drugs or other substances prior to her death.

Thogmartin said that Schiavo's brain was about half of its expected size when she died March 31 in a Pinellas Park ho e, 13 days after her feeding tube was removed in a wrenching right-to-die dispute that engulfed the courts, Congress and the White House and divided the country.

He said she would not have been able to eat or drink if she had been given food by mouth as her parents' requested.

"Removal of her feeding tube would have resulted in her death whether she was fed or hydrated by mouth or not," Thogmartin told reporters.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The religous right can take that and shove it up their ass. Bas s.

See you when it burns SWC Bonfire's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That doesn't justify having someone starve to death, but it verifies what a normal person could see - that she wasn't ever going to recover. Her husband was unfairly villified for seeing this, but rightfully villified for letting her slowly die. They wouldn't even let a dog die like that without someone being prosecuted and/or sued. Did she feel pain? Who knows. But please, put her out of her misery.

I guess a fair question to ask is: how large would her brain had been if she wasn't dehydrated? I don't think it would have mattered.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That doesn't justify having someone starve to death, but it verifies what a normal person could see - that she wasn't ever going to recover. Her husband was unfairly villified for seeing this, but rightfully villified for letting her slowly die. They wouldn't even let a dog die like that without someone being prosecuted and/or sued. Did she feel pain? Who knows. But please, put her out of her misery.

I guess a fair question to ask is: how large would her brain had been if she wasn't dehydrated? I don't think it would have mattered.
    The courts are the ones that let her die slowly. Her husband took the case to a court and gave up all his authority when he did so, allowing the courts to decide what she wanted.

Why is it that even after this played out, people still can't grasp the way the legal system works in this case?

And if you want to point a finger at someone for letting her die as well, that finger can be squarly pointed at the religious right again. The same people who don't allow assisted suicide because they want the right to tell me when and how I can not only live my life, but end it.

Free indeed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The religious right doesn't want to tell everybody how to live their lives...

except you, Manny. You should do exactly as you are told.

Guess Who's Back?
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And Manny wonders what motivates the Christian Right's obsession over sanc y of life issues...

Abortionist accused of eating fetuses

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And Manny wonders what motivates the Christian Right's obsession over sanc y of life issues...

Abortionist accused of eating fetuses
    Please. I know what motivates the RR. That wonderful book of stories they have and read out of every Sunday.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    for the 99% of the country that didnt give a , we say "so what?"

SW: Hot As Hell
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    She's still dead, right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manny, I don't honestly believe everyone that might include themselves as being in the "religious right" would agree that what happened was wrong.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manny, I don't honestly believe everyone that might include themselves as being in the "religious right" would agree that what happened was wrong.
    No, the religious right is a cultural evil which must be combated at every turn.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, the religious right is a cultural evil which must be combated at every turn
    There are elements within the RR, like Randall Terry and this NY bozo who wants to put warning label on gays, which are pure evil, and unfortunately more moderate religious voices are being drowned out by these religous fanatics.

It's almost identical to the call here from right-wingers for moderate Arabs to denounce world-wide terrorism, and to a large degree they have, but the only thing you ever see on the corporate news is fundamentalist fanatics like Terry.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You rarely apply something 100% to a group of people, but that doesn't change the fact that the religous - christian actually - right is the force behind trying to legislate from the bible. There is no denying this when they don't deny it but are in fact proud of it.

Excuse me if I don't want my laws coming from one of the many man made books of god.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, the religious right is a cultural evil which must be combated at every turn.
    No, the religous right is a segment which wants it's way enforced on everyone in the name of rightousness. What's that saying about the road to being paved in what?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You rarely apply something 100% to a group of people, but that doesn't change the fact that the religous - christian actually - right is the force behind trying to legislate from the bible. There is no denying this when they don't deny it but are in fact proud of it.

Excuse me if I don't want my laws coming from one of the many man made books of god.
    See there's the problem Manny, you are stereotyping. The few make the group look bad.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, I hate to say it, but as someone who has grown up in the Church ... while most of the moderate Christians I have known do not actively fight for "religious" legislation, I would bet a great majority of them wouldn't mind seeing a lot of it come to pass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But there in lies the difference. Those are the people that wouldn't mind a society that reflects their values, but aren't the type of people to push their values on society.

Guess Who's Back?
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    An autopsy performed on the Brain Damaged Florida Woman, or "Terri Schiavo" as her ignorant parents call her, confirms that she is in fact brain dead, and chances of a full recovery are slim at best. This must be tragic news for the right-wing cons who have maintained all along that she was a living human being, and thus deserving of the same rights to life and liberty typically reserved for cop killers and terrorists. Science trumps supers ion once again.

Progressives: 9,974, Religious Zealots: 0.

But I'm afraid it's too soon to celebrate. The struggle to preserve the fundamental right of all Americans to Die with Dignity is far from over. Republicans claim to be against government interference in our lives, but even as we e Terri Schiavo's frito-sized brain into the endzone and form a conga line around her grave, heartless repugs are working diligently to undermine all of our deaths. Malicious rhetoric from right-wing polemicists like the Pope has done serious damage to the Right to Die crusade, but there's still a glimmer of hope for those longing for death - either their own, or of a loved-one whose continuing existence has become an inconvenience to everyone. Courageous Democrats in congress have taken up the battle flag of our forefathers, who valiantly gave their lives so that future generations could die in peace, free from the prying hands of unscrupulous doctors who seek only to prolong life. But they cannot win the war against the coming Bush Theocracy alone.

The question our generation faces will decide the future of America: Do we want to live in a Republican dystopia of moral absolutes, where men are men, women are women, and our children curse us for forcing them to be born? Or a Progressive Utopia where they thank us for allowing them to die?

The choice is yours.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i just heard the shindler family, terry's parents are disputing the autopsey
    ??
    i feel bad for these people, but they are insane

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    See there's the problem Manny, you are stereotyping. The few make the group look bad.
    Dude, thats like saying I would be stereotyping the Nazi's by saying they wanted to kill Jews.

The Religous Right I refer to is a political sect. It's not everyperson who finds themselves in a christian church on Sunday. It is the people who use the bible in a political arena with one goal; legislation of the bible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, I hate to say it, but as someone who has grown up in the Church ... while most of the moderate Christians I have known do not actively fight for "religious" legislation, I would bet a great majority of them wouldn't mind seeing a lot of it come to pass.
    Most moderate Christians would not be considered part of the religous right. Also, I would argue that complacency when it comes to moral legislation simply because it fits your morality is still just as ty in my book. But hey, who reads my book?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But there in lies the difference. Those are the people that wouldn't mind a society that reflects their values, but aren't the type of people to push their values on society.
    It's one thing when a society comes to reflect their values on their own, it's quite another they have no choice due to laws.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Religous Right I refer to is a political sect. It's not everyperson who finds themselves in a christian church on Sunday. It is the people who use the bible in a political arena with one goal; legislation of the bible.
    manny comes correct again
    although my support probably hurts manny because i'm an off the deep end liberal, sorry dude

Seeking the quiet mind desflood's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So then, when the fifteen-year-old daughter of conservative parents has an abortion without their knowledge and dies, wouldn't there be liberal morals and values forced upon somebody without their consent, in the form of law?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So then, when the fifteen-year-old daughter of conservative parents has an abortion without their knowledge and dies, wouldn't there be liberal morals and values forced upon somebody without their consent, in the form of law?
    Wait, didn't the girl choose to get an abortion? Isn't that her choosing what to do? I don't know any liberal - or conservatives to be fair - who want to force a girl to have an abortion.

Thread Information