Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's also the fact that a lot of these companies didn't give a about their shareholders either. It's baloney to say "if the incentive wasn't there, they wouldn't have taken the risk". Well, you're supposed to know what kind of risks you're taking on even when there's an incentive. Obviously, some of that people didn't give a about it.
    http://www.sec.gov/answers/mortgagesecurities.htm

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keep posting, Darrin. Stupid talking points of 3 years ago that have been addressed time and time again only make you look like a genius. Its amazing how stupid you are. Flat out mind blowing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll give you a hint: Government backed MBS were never a problem. Privately formed derivates were. What you're doing is basically trying to say that T bills are bad because Greece is about to default.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Says a whole of a lot, to be quite honest.

Don't believe the hype... ChuckD's Avatar
    My Team
    New York Knicks
    Post Count
    Even if Congress caused it, which is debatable, it's the Congress that the banking industry paid for, so they still don't get out of responsibility. It's like hiring a hit man. You're still guilty of murder one, yourself.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Says a whole of a lot, to be quite honest.
    Yes, it does. What do you think it says?

Edit>. And maybe I'm old school, but I prefer les and units on axes.
    Last edited by DarrinS; 11-01-2011 at 09:54 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keep posting, Darrin. Stupid talking points of 3 years ago that have been addressed time and time again only make you look like a genius. Its amazing how stupid you are. Flat out mind blowing.
    It's amazing how dense you are. So what that the majority of assets lost in the mortgage crisis weren't from Govt guarnteed mortgages.

If it was only rich private investors who got ed in this whole mess none of us would have given a .

But it's because normal everyday people were sold the dream by Bush, Clinton, Carter, Reagan that owning a home was a perogative and that we the govt will insure it, is the reason to why we even give a now.

It's because the smiths lost their home, it's because regular people were ed, and it's because govt felt the need to bail out a whole financial sector.

But we wouldn't have this problem in a free market because no one would want to buy securities that aren't backed by govt agencies from broke ass people and we wouldn't have those people ed.

Who gives a that private investors lost billions and billions of dollars in subprime? Do you think they're gonna go back to those type of loans? Do we need govt to tell us that eating taste bad, or putting your hand near a stove will hurt?

Apparently you dumb s do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You have no ing clue how this happend, gtown. You and darrin are posting out of so much ignorance.

But we wouldn't have this problem in a free market because no one would want to buy securities that aren't backed by govt agencies from broke ass people and we wouldn't have those people ed.
    This is especially laughable. THEY did buy securities that weren't backed by the government. Why? Because those pieces of were given the same ratings AS securities backed by they government even though they were piles of garbage.

Who gives a that private investors lost billions and billions of dollars in subprime? Do you think they're gonna go back to those type of loans? Do we need govt to tell us that eating taste bad, or putting your hand near a stove will hurt?
    Um, LOL?

It's amazing how dense you are.
    You apparently don't know about the financial crisis, how it played out, or how it was caused.

Why the do you speak out of such blatantly obvious ignorance?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This is especially laughable. THEY did buy securities that weren't backed by the government. Why? Because those pieces of were given the same ratings AS securities backed by they government even though they were piles of garbage.

Are you saying that artificially lowering interest rates didn't allow for riskier investments???

lololololololol!!!!

Not to mention that all deposits are FDIC insured, and it is because precisely this problem that Glass Steagall was invented. We created one regulation because of another.

So we took away market discipline by insuring deposits, and then found out that we needed more regulation to prevent from the effects of the first regulation.

You're ing pathetic, you have done 0 economic research besides doing a cursory glance at a Huffington Post article about the bubble.

Come back to me when you're more informed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I said what I meant in very simple plain English. If you can't understand that people bought the crap securities because the 3 main ratings firms gave them all AAA ratings when they merited nothing of the sort then I don't know what to tell you. It has nothing to do with interest rates at all. You said that in a free market this would never happen when its pretty god damn obvious to anyone not sleeping with a free market dildo in their ass that it actually would.

When the people the free market entrusts to give them good information pretty much defraud them it will always happen. What in the does that have to do with interest rates?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But firms like AIG didn't know these securities were when they sold them. Thats why they ran about bought so many credit default swaps on the very piles of crap they were selling. Thats not indicative of a scam at all and thats not a conflict of interest, at all. But yeah, these guys wouldn't pull like this in a "free market".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I said what I meant in very simple plain English. If you can't understand that people bought the crap securities because the 3 main ratings firms gave them all AAA ratings when they merited nothing of the sort then I don't know what to tell you. It has nothing to do with interest rates at all. You said that in a free market this would never happen when its pretty god damn obvious to anyone not sleeping with a free market dildo in their ass that it actually would.

When the people the free market entrusts to give them good information pretty much defraud them it will always happen. What in the does that have to do with interest rates?
    because interest rates have alot to do with the ability for people to get loans and having low interest rates encourages lax restricitons on qualified applicants for loans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh here, buy this AAA rated bond full of great subprime loans and ignore the fact that I"m going to buy the 40 or so credit default swaps on that bond (which I no longer have any interest in - nice!) which will pay ME once that bond that I just sold you fails. Oh, you're going to lose everything you put into that bond? Well thats only because this is not a free market, not because I'm actively selling you a crappy bond that will make me a ton of money because it fails.

Obviously financial firms making money off of selling their customers bonds that fail WHEN they fail is not a conflict of interest and only happening because of too much regulation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If depositers don't give a what banks do with their money because it's backed by govt, how the is this going to stop banks from committing stupid lending????

the whole reason why banks can get away with it and consumers don't care is because govt encourages it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    because interest rates have alot to do with the ability for people to get loans and having low interest rates encourages lax restricitons on qualified applicants for loans.
    NOTHING I said has to do with loans. You REALLY need to go read up on this then come back and talk about the subject again.

When ratings agencies pass off bad investments as good investments THAT is not the fault of ANYTHING related to the government but a complete and utter failure of the financial system. THEY KNEW exactly what they were doing.

Whats worse was listening to these guys sit in front of congress and testify that their ratings should not be used for investment decisions. UM what?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If depositers don't give a what banks do with their money because it's backed by govt, how the is this going to stop banks from committing stupid lending????

the whole reason why banks can get away with it and consumers don't care is because govt encourages it.
    You really had the nerve to call me dense and keep with this? You don't seem to understand that I agree with you on much of this but where the disagreement lies - and at this point i'm attributing it mostly to ignorance - is that this was not the most important factor in why the financial crisis occurred.

Lets say that there were no CDS markets and that the financial ins utions had never leveraged themselves against the sub prime loans. Lets say that they actually wrote twice as many loans and thus the bubble was twice as big. If that happens, but there are no derrivates markets that are built off of the loans, do we still have the financial crisis we did? Yes or no?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Loans still get rated on the paying ability of the borrower, and are paid accordingly. You know, except when some fraudsters start passing ty rated loans as AAA loans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Then again, decisions made by Congress, the Bush and Clinton administrations and federal regulators in the years before the crisis also played a key role in allowing things to get so bad. From ill-considered deregulation of banking and derivatives to over-the-top encouragement of home ownership, Washington's fingerprints were all over the crisis.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's no doubt there was certain complicity from government. Actual regulators definitely were looking the other way at some point or another. You can't pull that kind of scam without some major lack of oversight.

That said, to put the entire blame on them when bankers couldn't pump /fraudulent mortgages fast enough is just being naive.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Bloombergs point was that the banks need regulation and thats why it was the governments fault then I agree. Too bad it wasn't so the quote you responded with is moot.

Yes, the government didn't babysit enough. Probably because they're in the financial sector's pocket. Thats not the financial sectors fault though. Its not their fault they lobbied against that regulation, is it, Darrin?

I swear its like you don't realize what the you're posting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's no doubt there was certain complicity from government. Actual regulators definitely were looking the other way at some point or another. You can't pull that kind of scam without some major lack of oversight.

That said, to put the entire blame on them when bankers couldn't pump /fraudulent mortgages fast enough is just being naive.
    Darrin just basically posted that the government is complicit because they didn't regulate properly. No one here is going to argue that outside of a partisan hack. Sadly, I don't think the point he's trying to make is that there needs to be more regulation. Rather, he saw blame and government in the same sentence and couldn't copy and paste fast enough.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It should also be pointed out that not all banks were on the scam. Some of them didn't even want the TARP money and were forced to take it. Which further proves the point that those who wanted to be responsible, actually were responsible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information