Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think that's a fair assessment.

so .001% of the web
    As long it's bigger than zero, you're going to need a platform that works, and HTML5 can't deliver that. Especially since they're amongst the most popular sites out there (Hulu is top 50 in the US).

of course. I was referring to Adoble Flash Plugin and it's web presence. And I agree Flash video and Silverlight video will remain in some fashion for a tad bit longer, but will be gone eventually.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    using Hulu the flavor of the week as cornerstone to your argument

http://mobilitydigest.com/flash-is-d...rule-them-all/
    Flash is Dead, Silverlight is Dead: HTML5 To Rule Them All

So HTML5 is going to be the ubiquitous plasma to the blood that runs all operating systems. Well at least we can stop talking about how good/bad Flash is and move back to software companies providing the best tools and optimizing users experiences. And yes, this is mobile Flash but as the mobile world continues to pick up steam it’s hard to imagine that developers continue to embrace it as it’s a shrinking audience so this marks the beginning of the end of Flash.

This also aligns with Microsoft’s movements in Windows 8 where Flash will not work in the Metro/tablet Internet Explorer to optimize battery life and performance…

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nono that bridge in Brooklyn sound good to you?

Flash is dead. Long live HTML5.
    Adobe’s love affair with its Flash format has come to an end. Oh sure, Adobe said they were just killing development on mobile browser Flash in favor of HTML5, but seriously, do you think, that they’ll keep working on Flash on the desktop for much longer? If you do, I have a nice, lightly-used bridge in Brooklyn I’d like to sell you. No, the end of Flash is in sight and HTML5 is now the one true future for Internet video.

ElNono

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/networking...ive-html5/1633

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    using Hulu the flavor of the week as cornerstone to your argument
    I simply know the technology, and HTML5 can't do it. Maybe that'll come up with HTML6, but until then, Flash/Silverlight/Plugin/App it is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course, Adobe isn’t just saying forget about Flash. Adobe wants to bring all the Flash goodness it can to HTML5.

In speaking about the desktop, Winokur said, “We will continue to leverage our experience with Flash to accelerate our work with the W3C and WebKit to bring similar capabilities to HTML5 as quickly as possible, just as we have done with CSS Shaders. And, we will design new features in Flash for a smooth transition to HTML5 as the standards evolve so developers can confidently invest knowing their skills will continue to be leveraged.”

The writing is on the wall. While Adobe programmers will be able to use their same Adobe software development tools, the end-product is clearly going to be HTML5 video. Flash is now a legay format.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By this time next year, I expect Adobe will have announced that, except for legacy support, all Flash development will have come to an end.

ElNono

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And lol @ aligning with metro/internet explorer tablet. How many of those MSFT sold, hater?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By this time next year, I expect Adobe will have announced that, except for legacy support, all Flash development will have come to an end.

ElNono
    I expect
    hater

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And I agree Flash video and Silverlight video will remain in some fashion for a tad bit longer

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    those are quotes from the ZDNET article. btw

I simply know the technology, and HTML5 can't do it. Maybe that'll come up with HTML6, but until then, Flash/Silverlight/Plugin/App it is.
    you simply don't know the technology. HTML5 has not been finalized yet, how the do you know if it will do what Flash does in 1 year? or 2?

HTML6? are you serious?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ”And, we will design new features in Flash for a smooth transition to HTML5 as the standards evolve so developers can confidently invest knowing their skills will continue to be leveraged.”
    Yep, looks like they're axing it...

can't read
    hater

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ElNono quote picking

this is another quote:
    The writing is on the wall. While Adobe programmers will be able to use their same Adobe software development tools, the end-product is clearly going to be HTML5 video. Flash is now a legacy format.

can't read

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even from his grave, Steve Jobs is still winning.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hater all you do is quote pick, and it's usually contradicted later in your source articles

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    those are quotes from the ZDNET article. btw
    You mean the blog post

you simply don't know the technology. HTML5 has not been finalized yet, how the do you know if it will do what Flash does in 1 year? or 2?
    I know what HTML5 can do right now, and I've had to write encrypted video streaming code, and it isn't coming anytime soon. It's not even a codec issue, it's entirely a security issue. And FWIW, in order to make HTML5 do everything Flash does will take a very long time. Simply the fact that Adobe has no control over the HTML5 standard slows down the process considerably.

HTML5 has been in development for 7 years. You'll easily need another 5+ to catch up to everything Flash does. At some point you have to make the standard final, and it's not going to be another 5 years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this is another quote:
    The writing is on the wall. While Adobe programmers will be able to use their same Adobe software development tools, the end-product is clearly going to be HTML5 video. Flash is now a legacy format.

can't read
    not a quote
    can't read

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You mean the blog post
    Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols
    Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols, aka sjvn, has been writing about technology and the business of technology since CP/M-80 was the cutting edge, PC operating system; 300bps was a fast Internet connection; WordStar was the state of the art word processor; and we liked it.
    His work has been published in everything from highly technical publications (IEEE Computer, ACM NetWorker, Byte) to business publications (eWEEK, InformationWeek, ZDNet) to popular technology (Computer Shopper, PC Magazine, PC World) to the mainstream press (Washington Post, San Francisco Chronicle, BusinessWeek).

vs.

ElNono
    Has 36,728 posts in Spurstalk.

just messing with you ElNono

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Adobe is only abandoning Flash in mobile browsers (which is great, it was a horrible idea), not Flash in the mobile platform altogether. There's a huge difference.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ElNono
    Has 36,728 posts in Spurstalk.

just messing with you ElNono
    Don't make me brag about myself
    My first modem was actually 150bps

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't make me brag about myself
    My first modem was actually 150bps
    My first modem involved tapping and beeps.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm just waiting for hater to comeback with "this was my first modem":

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    close

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^^^

Now we need Cobra to walk in and start talking about when he worked for AT&T and the flux capacitor

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not just mobile: Adobe is abandoning Flash on TVs as well

By Ryan Lawler Nov. 9, 2011, 2:24pm PT 8 Comments

• inShare124

Adobe announced Wednesday that it would be abandoning its work to enable rich applications on mobile devices through Flash, and would be focusing on HTML5 and Adobe AIR apps instead. But at the same time that it was working on bringing Flash video and applications to mobile devices, it was also hoping to bridge the divide between web video and what could be watched on connected TVs. So what happens to those efforts?
    While the market for TV apps is incredibly fragmented, it doesn’t appear that Adobe’s Flash will provide a solution. The company confirmed through a statement that like mobile, it will no longer focus on porting the Flash plugin into web browsers on CE devices, but believes developers should build native apps on those devices instead. An Adobe spokesperson writes:
    “Adobe will continue to support existing licensees who are planning on supporting Flash Player for web browsing on digital home devices and are using the Flash Player Porting Kit to do so. However we believe the right approach to deliver content on televisions is through applications, not a web browsing experience, and we will continue to encourage the device and content publishing community down that path.”
    Adobe’s efforts to bring Flash to connected TVs, Blu-ray players and other devices, like its mobile Flash plans, were part of its Open Screen Project, which aimed to create a consistent app runtime across multiple devices. The idea was that developers would be able to create a Flash application once and be able to distribute it across web browsers, mobile devices and TVs.
    Two-and-a-half years ago, Adobe announced a number of partnerships with OEMs and system-on-chip vendors such as Broadcom, Intel, STMicroelectronics, NXP Semiconductors and Sigma Designs to embed the Flash player into their silicon. But the number of TVs and other CE devices that support the Flash player have been limited to those from Sony and Logitech running the Google TV operating system. And Google TV has hardly been a success.
    Now, Adobe is taking a step back from those plans, but not abandoning the TV app segment altogether. Instead of pushing multi-screen browser-based Flash applications, Adobe is hoping to convince developers to create native apps on mobile and TV devices using the Adobe AIR framework. Already some developers are taking advantage of that framework, with publishers like CNet, Epix and YouTube building TV apps for Samsung TVs based on Adobe AIR.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    You know it's bad when I never even knew Flash was on TV.

Thread Information