Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I read that, guess they are going with HTML 5 going forward. Good for them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hater

Testify !!!!!

Do you see what Apple has done ?

Kooler than Jesus Nathan Explosion's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Take the whole "doesn't play Flash" off the con list for iOS then. I'm surprised it happened because of how entrenched Adobe was with flash.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    they aren't pulling it entirely, just not developing it further. it's still a valid point if you want flash on your mobile device

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    they aren't pulling it entirely, just not developing it further. it's still a valid point if you want flash on your mobile device
    For now. But as things advanced, Flash will become a thing of the past on mobile devices and apps and the argument will become moot. Unless Android wants to keep putting an outdated plugin on their future devices.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, I am still happy that I am able to view the entire internet currently on my phone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For now. But as things advanced, Flash will become a thing of the past on mobile devices and apps and the argument will become moot. Unless Android wants to keep putting an outdated plugin on their future devices.
    I agree

lol flash

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, I am still happy that I am able to view the entire internet currently on my phone.
    And I'm happy I don't have to worry about annoying videos popping up all the time. On my desktop I turn them off all the time, that is, if Kaspersky hasn't blocked them already. Once I got my iPhone, I realized how little I actually used Flash. There are times when I need it, but I'd say 90% of the time I don't, and 5% it isn't important anyway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    personally, I don't really care for flash on my PC either. it's one of the few things that crashes Chrome for me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    personally, I don't really care for flash on my PC either. it's one of the few things that crashes Chrome for me.
    Yeah, I get a message that A plugin has stopped working and asks it I want to stop it. 99% of the time, it's the Flash plugin.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hater

Testify !!!!!

Do you see what Apple has done ?
    LOL Lefty.

Microsoft had a presentation a couple weeks ago where they said their IE 10 Metro won't support ANY plugins.

2 weeks later Adobe goes kaput.

LOL they didn't give a about Apple for years. They care about what really matters, MSFT

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL Lefty.

Microsoft had a presentation a couple weeks ago where they said their IE 10 Metro won't support ANY plugins.

LOL they didn't give a about Apple for years. They care about what really matters, MSFT
    April 2010:

"New open standards created in the mobile era, such as HTML5, will win on mobile devices (and PCs too). Perhaps Adobe should focus more on creating great HTML5 tools for the future, and less on criticizing Apple for leaving the past behind."

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, they're dropping mobile Flash because Microsoft obviously enjoys complete domination on the mobile market...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not the point. They have to start somewhere and the Mobile part is obviously the 1st one to go.

LOL if you think Adobe Flash will still be around in browsers in 1 year and 1/2

face it. Microsoft released their strategy and 2 weeks later Adobe is done.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm pretty sure it will be available in desktop browsers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Adobe also announced layoffs yesterday:

In order to better align resources around Digital Media and Digital Marketing, Adobe is restructuring its business. This will result in the elimination of approximately 750 full-time positions primarily in North America and Europe. We expect to record in the aggregate approximately $87 million to $94 million in pre-tax restructuring charges. Included in these charges are (i) approximately $17 million to $19 million primarily related to the consolidation of leased facilities and (ii) approximately $70 million to $75 million related to employee severance arrangements. We expect to record approximately $73 million to $78 million of these charges in the fiscal quarter ending Dec. 2, 2011.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL Lefty.

Adobe cares a great deal about Apple, due to the amount of people who use their CS suites in MacOSX.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm pretty sure it will be available in desktop browsers.
    not about being available. Sites are moving away from Flash like the plague. Next year HTML5 is official even more so.

In 2 years Flash/Silverlight will be irrelevant even on desktops.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not about being available. Sites are moving away from Flash like the plague. Next year HTML5 is official even more so.
    Why would sites be moving away from Flash like the plague if MSFT only described their strategy two weeks ago?

In 2 years Flash/Silverlight will be irrelevant even on desktops.
    No way. But in order to understand why, you would need to understand why HTML5 simply can't do certain things Flash/Silverlight can do.

For example, you simply can't do encrypted streams in HTML5.

The reason it makes sense to drop Flash for mobile only is because content providers can monetize better through mobile apps. There just isn't an ecosystem like that on the PC side, and there won't be for quite a while.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would sites be moving away from Flash like the plague if MSFT only described their strategy two weeks ago?
    Huh, because their strategy does not include Browser Plugins in long term future plans?

No way. But in order to understand why, you would need to understand why HTML5 simply can't do certain things Flash/Silverlight can do.

For example, you simply can't do encrypted streams in HTML5.
    and what percentage of all sites use encrypted streams

The reason it makes sense to drop Flash for mobile only is because content providers can monetize better through mobile apps. There just isn't an ecosystem like that on the PC side, and there won't be for quite a while.
    Yup dropping Flash Mobile was the 1st step. Don't be fooled, that is just the begining of the bad news for Adobe.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Huh, because their strategy does not include Browser Plugins in long term future plans?
    Sites started moving away from Flash like the plague two weeks ago?

and what percentage of all sites use encrypted streams
    All the sites delivering premium content: ESPN3, League Pass, Hulu+, etc etc etc.

Yup dropping Flash Mobile was the 1st step. Don't be fooled, that is just the begining of the bad news for Adobe.
    Uh? Adobe is much more than Flash.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sites started moving away from Flash like the plague two weeks ago?
    I think that's a fair assessment.

All the sites delivering premium content: ESPN3, League Pass, Hulu+, etc etc etc.
    so .001% of the web

Uh? Adobe is much more than Flash.
    of course. I was referring to Adoble Flash Plugin and it's web presence. And I agree Flash video and Silverlight video will remain in some fashion for a tad bit longer, but will be gone eventually.

In the near future, I was referring to a typical Flash site (which 99% of flash web sites are)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Believe me, if you are making an interactive website and you are looking 2+ years in the future. It would be a stupid move to make a Flash website.

Thread Information