NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    "Stalking Men On Facebook is a 24/7 Job"

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    The Expanse was great. Really looking forward to the final book. The show is pretty good as well.

Recently finished The Stand. What a terrible ing ending. The starting and middle parts were absolutely brilliant, but the ending pretty much ruined the book for me.

About to finish the first book of Licanius Trilogy. I kinda expected more based on the mostly positive reviews this series has garnered. It's just good enough to keep my pique curiosity, but nothing special so far.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    The Expanse was great. Really looking forward to the final book. The show is pretty good as well.

Recently finished The Stand. What a terrible ing ending. The starting and middle parts were absolutely brilliant, but the ending pretty much ruined the book for me.

About to finish the first book of Licanius Trilogy. I kinda expected more based on the mostly positive reviews this series has garnered. It's just good enough to keep my pique curiosity, but nothing special so far.
    Was it the extended cut, or, the regular book? Read both versions and much enjoyed the extended one. Read it twice in fact.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    Continued...

The Burning by Evan Winter is a great (ongoing)series. I think this is the only series I've ever read that's based on African culture. Would definitely recommend it.

The Murderbot Diaries is another series that I'd highly recommend. This is the perfect pop-corn sci-fi series.

Loved the Mistborn Era 2 books a lot more than Era 1. Although this is almost entirely due to how bad the pacing is in The Well of Ascension.

The Sun Eater series is a fairly high quality space opera. But I'd only recommend this to those who prefer more of the hard sci-fi genre.

The Sword of Truth series was just awful. I should've DNF'd the series during the 2nd book but my OCD wouldn't let me.

Ready Player Two was a show. Again, I should've just DNF'd this one at around 20 pages in but...

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    Was it the extended cut, or, the regular book? Read both versions and much enjoyed the extended one. Read it twice in fact.
    Extended version. I've never read the original cut.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Glad to see this thread is back. I read the four books in Jemisin's Inheritance series. You can definitely tell that they are written before Broken Earth. It some of the same artistic flourishes, but it's way less refined and as a result somewhat more distracting. I've read the first six books of The Expanse. I heard the series is a trilogy of trilogies, so I stopped at what I think was a stable place. The Murderbot Diaries was a fun and short series. I know more books are being added, but the first four novellas were basically a full arc. A couple of series I've been interested released second books recently. David Wong put out a sequel to his Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits novel. That was really good, though the first was better. Drew Hayes put out the second Villians' Code book, which I like a bit more. I also read the Mortal Engines and Alterworld series. Both were a mix of good and bad. They were interesting, but ME is such a stupid premise and it often would come up and ruin my immersion, and Alterworld is fascist propaganda that gets worse the longer the series goes on.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

x2 on the Stand. But you could say the same thing about a ton of King books. Great storytelling until the finish. Then it deus ex machina. I've always thought his best stories were the ones that didn't involve the supernatural.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I just started Billy Summers.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Continued...

The Burning by Evan Winter is a great (ongoing)series. I think this is the only series I've ever read that's based on African culture. Would definitely recommend it.

The Murderbot Diaries is another series that I'd highly recommend. This is the perfect pop-corn sci-fi series.

Loved the Mistborn Era 2 books a lot more than Era 1. Although this is almost entirely due to how bad the pacing is in The Well of Ascension.

The Sun Eater series is a fairly high quality space opera. But I'd only recommend this to those who prefer more of the hard sci-fi genre.

The Sword of Truth series was just awful. I should've DNF'd the series during the 2nd book but my OCD wouldn't let me.

Ready Player Two was a show. Again, I should've just DNF'd this one at around 20 pages in but...
    Sanderson puts books out at a ridiculous pace for how long they are. I am enjoying Stormlight Archive.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Good timing on the name drop.

I just downloaded the entire series of Sanderson's Cosmere books plus the Wheel of Time in audio format. Want to start it sometime this weekend.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I need to get back to reading more. Was hoping to read a book a month but that fell apart after February. I recommend the following:

Killers of the Flower Moon : history of the Comanches (and specifically Quanna Parker) and the conflict they had with the white man. I don’t read much non-fiction but this was incredibly well written and is an easy read. 8/10

Nickel Boys : novel based on true events about a reform school in Florida. Pretty sad but a great book with a little twist at the end (bend over, I’ll give you a twist in the end). Also 8/10

Currently reading Mosquito Coast. Was going to watch the series but then came across the book. Pretty good so far. An inventor moves his family to Honduras. So far, it’s pretty interesting. I’ve never read anything by this author (Paul Theroux) but I like the way he writes and will probably check out some of his other books when I’m done.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    10587693[/URL]]I just started Billy Summers.
    I wasn’t even aware of this new King book. That’ll be next up for me.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    How is this? It generally has good reviews but the negatives all mention how it's over the top in attacking Trump. Not that I don't think he earned it but the when I read, I pretty much want to get away from real world .

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    How is this? It generally has good reviews but the negatives all mention how it's over the top in attacking Trump. Not that I don't think he earned it but the when I read, I pretty much want to get away from real world .
    I will finish it later, it's good. There are a couple Trump disses, but they are in passing (a half sentence here or there, no rants) just referencing rich pieces of . I wouldn't think it was worth a mention, personally. He's never hidden his political leanings.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I will finish it later, it's good. There are a couple Trump disses, but they are in passing (a half sentence here or there, no rants) just referencing rich pieces of . I wouldn't think it was worth a mention, personally. He's never hidden his political leanings.
    Thanks. I assume that those reviews might have been from pro Trump readers. I don't mind a few mentions. As long as it's the book isn't a diatribe on politics.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Thanks. I assume that those reviews might have been from pro Trump readers. I don't mind a few mentions. As long as it's the book isn't a diatribe on politics.
    Yeah pretty snowflaky.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    The ending was great, FYI.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    Recently came back to the First Law universe after reading the OG Trilogy almost 3 years ago and I've just finished binging my way through all the standalones and Age of Madness books..

WOW!

I'd really forgotten how good JA is at writing interesting characters. Most of his characters are varying degrees of assholes but you can't help but root for them when things get tense. That's just good writing. It's true many of the twists were easy to see coming but they were just executed so well that they took absolutely nothing away from the quality of the ride. And the ride was thrilling all the way through.

By the end of the Age of Madness series I've been thoroughly corrupted by JA.

SPOILERS!!!!!!

Considering how my boy Orso got done drity, I'm straight up backing Team Bayaz in the future books. When he and Hildi comeback to burn down the new Union, I'd be more than happy to douse it in gasoline and hand them the ing match box.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Recently came back to the First Law universe after reading the OG Trilogy almost 3 years ago and I've just finished binging my way through all the standalones and Age of Madness books..

WOW!

I'd really forgotten how good JA is at writing interesting characters. Most of his characters are varying degrees of assholes but you can't help but root for them when things get tense. That's just good writing. It's true many of the twists were easy to see coming but they were just executed so well that they took absolutely nothing away from the quality of the ride. And the ride was thrilling all the way through.

By the end of the Age of Madness series I've been thoroughly corrupted by JA.

SPOILERS!!!!!!

Considering how my boy Orso got done drity, I'm straight up backing Team Bayaz in the future books. When he and Hildi comeback to burn down the new Union, I'd be more than happy to douse it in gasoline and hand them the ing match box.
    I really liked the books of those I read. I am reading Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache books, they are excellent.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes

This mf is straight crazy, but I'll allow it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...f-picks-newest

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Mormons write at a ridiculous pace, tbh. I wonder when we will get the new Stormlight Archive.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    Mormons write at a ridiculous pace, tbh. I wonder when we will get the new Stormlight Archive.
    Prolly in mid/late 2024. We've got the final novel Mistborn era 2 coming out in November this year. I'm guessing he'll start working on SLA 5 after he's done refining/editing these 4 new books.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    This was very good. Seems like it would be perfect for a series.
    Was going to start the Inspector Gamache series but decided to start reading King's, Later.
    Only a few chapters in but enjoying it. Seems like it's going to be a quick read.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    This was very good. Seems like it would be perfect for a series.
    Was going to start the Inspector Gamache series but decided to start reading King's, Later.
    Only a few chapters in but enjoying it. Seems like it's going to be a quick read.
    I'll check that one out, thanks!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    Finished Liveship Traders Trilogy over the weekend. It was mentally exhausting, but fantastic at the same time.
    Robin Hobb's characterization is simply top notch.
    It's a bit wild that her Elderlings saga doesn't qualify as "grimdark" on technical aspect of lacking amoral or morally ambiguous protagonist/characters. Cuz the world she pens is definitely grim af and she also puts her characters through some real dark .

Read Troy Saga by David Gemmell and really loved that series as well.
    Historical/Mythological retelling can be tricky because the readers already know how it ends but David managed to make this one pretty hard to put down.

I'm also going through Discworld books in the publishing order and most have really great.
    Reaper Man, Small Gods and Men at Arms are prolly my favorite so far. These books are perfect to sneak in between heavier reads.

Green Boone Saga by Fonda Lee is another fantastic series.
    The first book was average at best, but the 2nd and 3rd really knocked it outta the park for me.
    The setting is quite unique as well. It's like the 70/80s Urban Fantasy within a Mafia/Yakuza family.

Raven's Blade Duology by Anthony Ryan was all-right.
    While it was definitely a step up from the disastrous book 2 & 3 of Raven's Shadow books, it still fell short of high bar set by Blood Song.

Cradle by Will Wight is pretty good YA Progression Fantasy.
    It's a perfect series to burn through when you need something light as an adult.
    Also a good recommendation for middle school kids, nephews or nieces in the family.

Thread Information