Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    This book was excellent. The first was good, but this one was better. Read it a month ago. I also enjoyed The Bone Clocks. Never read Clout Atlas but I liked this one.
    Bone Clocks was crazy. That last story is so damned bleak. Thought it was a good book, though. Before I read The Cartel, I read a book called Angelmaker by Nick Harkaway. Takes a couple of chapters to get into, but once it picks up, it's awesome. Weirdest mix of concepts I've ever seen.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Everything by....

Lee Child
    James Lee Burke
    Robert E, Howard
    H.P.Lovecraft
    Jack London
    Hermann Hesse
    Edgar Allan Poe
    Max Brand
    Zane Grey
    Luke Short
    Louis L' Amour
    Olaf Stapeldon
    A. Merritt
    Ambrose Bierce
    Lord Dunsany
    Sax Rohmer
    Norman Mailer
    Harlan Ellison

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    College
    Oregon Ducks
    The Great War of our Time by Michael Morell.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Gone through about 40 more books since last updating. Just finished The Water Knife by Paolo Bacigalupi. That was a really good book. Kinda of The Road, but slightly more optimistic. Also got into the Kovac and Liska series by Tami Hoag. Those are just murder mystery novels, but they are easy listens. Ghostwritten was David Mitc 's debut novel, but it was also good. Had a lot of fun with John Dies at the End and This Book is Full of Spiders as well

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Gone through about 40 more books since last updating. Just finished The Water Knife by Paolo Bacigalupi. That was a really good book. Kinda of The Road, but slightly more optimistic. Also got into the Kovac and Liska series by Tami Hoag. Those are just murder mystery novels, but they are easy listens. Ghostwritten was David Mitc 's debut novel, but it was also good. Had a lot of fun with John Dies at the End and This Book is Full of Spiders as well
    Yeah...I like the David Wong books also. I have the newest one downloaded but haven't started it.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I'll check out the Water Knife and the Kovac and Liska stuff, love detective fiction. I've been rereading Reginald Hill's Dalziel and Pascoe novels for the last two months aside from the Fireman. Almost done with them, three left.

Name
    Frank Dux
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Everything by....

Lee Child
    James Lee Burke
    Robert E, Howard
    H.P.Lovecraft
    Jack London
    Hermann Hesse
    Edgar Allan Poe
    Max Brand
    Zane Grey
    Luke Short
    Louis L' Amour
    Olaf Stapeldon
    A. Merritt
    Ambrose Bierce
    Lord Dunsany
    Sax Rohmer
    Norman Mailer
    Harlan Ellison
    Good list.

I would expect you to also be a Larry McMurtry fan. Ever read Lonesome Dove, The Last Picture Show, etc?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Everything by....

Harlan Ellison
    Dude's a pretty talented narrator too.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Finally got around to reading The Watchmaker of Filigree Street. Surprisingly enough, this isn't the best clockpunk book set in England that I've read. Thought it was interesting, but even though it wants to be profound, it's not one of those books that makes you think. In fact, it kinda falls apart if you think about it too much. Probably would like it a lot less if I had read it. But listening to it while having one of those grind-it-out, not-look-up-from-your-desk-for-eight-hours allowed me to enjoy it as the author intended it to be rather than what it turned out to be.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I just finished End of Watch by Stephen King, the last book in the Bill Hodges trilogy. I really enjoyed the entire trilogy.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    I just finished End of Watch by Stephen King, the last book in the Bill Hodges trilogy. I really enjoyed the entire trilogy.
    On a book called Haunted House by Jack Kilborn. Hey, at least you don't have to wonder what it's about.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Just started Ashes to Ashes after finishing Lying On the Couch by Irvin D Yalom, which was great.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Just started Ashes to Ashes after finishing Lying On the Couch by Irvin D Yalom, which was great.
    Ashes to Ashes is a very interesting book, because I don't think Hoag knew it was going to be part of a series when she wrote it. The rest of Kovac and Liska is a little more standard for detective series.

Over the past month or so, I read through a few interesting books. I did Everyday by David Levithan, which is really the book he's been living off for years now. It's pretty good, but it gets mad preachy about 60 percent of the way through. Dawn Patrol is another Don Winslow/Ray Porter combo. It was pretty cool, though it got overly descriptive. Neal Asher's Transformation trilogy is shaping up to be pretty awesome. Book Three isn't coming out for another year, though. Edge of Lost was a nice little story about family and immigration (the happy-go-lucky Ellis Island kind). Also knocked out a spin-off of Kovac and Liska called Cold, Cold Heart. Was VERY different from the main series, though it was still good.

Having a hard time right now with books. I am crawling through Handmaid's tale. I tried NOS4A2 again, and again I put it away. Trying to get into BV Larson's Lost Colonies series, but that's slow as well. Hopefully at least one will pick up so I can get to more books. Still have 30-40 in my queue that I have already purchased, so I don't want to get out of the habit of listening to Audible on account of some dubious selections.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Ashes to Ashes is a very interesting book, because I don't think Hoag knew it was going to be part of a series when she wrote it. The rest of Kovac and Liska is a little more standard for detective series.

Over the past month or so, I read through a few interesting books. I did Everyday by David Levithan, which is really the book he's been living off for years now. It's pretty good, but it gets mad preachy about 60 percent of the way through. Dawn Patrol is another Don Winslow/Ray Porter combo. It was pretty cool, though it got overly descriptive. Neal Asher's Transformation trilogy is shaping up to be pretty awesome. Book Three isn't coming out for another year, though. Edge of Lost was a nice little story about family and immigration (the happy-go-lucky Ellis Island kind). Also knocked out a spin-off of Kovac and Liska called Cold, Cold Heart. Was VERY different from the main series, though it was still good.

Having a hard time right now with books. I am crawling through Handmaid's tale. I tried NOS4A2 again, and again I put it away. Trying to get into BV Larson's Lost Colonies series, but that's slow as well. Hopefully at least one will pick up so I can get to more books. Still have 30-40 in my queue that I have already purchased, so I don't want to get out of the habit of listening to Audible on account of some dubious selections.
    Yeah I am about 40% done, and I was wondering why the series was called Kovac and Liska, since she isn't one of the main characters at this time.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Yeah I am about 40% done, and I was wondering why the series was called Kovac and Liska, since she isn't one of the main characters at this time.
    Yeah, but the next book, Liska is at the same level as Kovac. It was sort of jarring for me, as I had read most of the series starting at book two and wasn't prepared for the difference with Ashes to Ashes when I looped back to it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    So I just knocked out Mark Lawrence's second trilogy, The Red Queen's War. I thought it was fantastic. They may be my favorite books of the year when taken as a set, though I still do like Water Knife more than any of the books individually. If your mind is open to SciFi/Fantasy, I'd recommend it highly.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    So I just knocked out Mark Lawrence's second trilogy, The Red Queen's War. I thought it was fantastic. They may be my favorite books of the year when taken as a set, though I still do like Water Knife more than any of the books individually. If your mind is open to SciFi/Fantasy, I'd recommend it highly.
    I've read all of his books, I liked them a lot. Didn't the two leads pass by each other in the Red Queen's War? I'm reading The Nighmare Stacks by Charles Stross, part of the Laundry Files. This series gets weirder with every book, but they are great reads.

Edit: I didn't see the final book of Red Queen's War came out, I will read that after Nightmare Stacks.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    I've read all of his books, I liked them a lot. Didn't the two leads pass by each other in the Red Queen's War?
    They're in the same bar in the Liar's Key in addition to Jalen almost agreeing to fight Jorg. But if you liked that scene, then you'll have something to look forward to when reading in The Wheel of Osheim. It's not really a spoiler, either, because it happens early on and doesn't affect the plot. It's just a fun little scene that I'm sure I'll appreciate more after reading Broken Empire.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Jorg is a trip.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    They're in the same bar in the Liar's Key in addition to Jalen almost agreeing to fight Jorg. But if you liked that scene, then you'll have something to look forward to when reading in The Wheel of Osheim. It's not really a spoiler, either, because it happens early on and doesn't affect the plot. It's just a fun little scene that I'm sure I'll appreciate more after reading Broken Empire.
    "We're all a disappointment to someone."

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    "We're all a disappointment to someone."
    I see you're well into Wheel at this point. I'm hesitant to read anything else right now. That happens when I binge on a series. I knocked out all three of the Red Queen's War books in like four-and-a-half days. Audible's daily deal today is The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. I picked it up since it seems like an interesting plot. We'll see how it goes.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I see you're well into Wheel at this point. I'm hesitant to read anything else right now. That happens when I binge on a series. I knocked out all three of the Red Queen's War books in like four-and-a-half days. Audible's daily deal today is The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. I picked it up since it seems like an interesting plot. We'll see how it goes.
    Finished it Saturday, it was definitely the best book in both series, and I enjoyed all of them - Snorri's story was fantastic . Lawrence also liked my review on goodreads.com haha, all I said is that it was simply amazing. Reading Dust to Dust now.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Finished it Saturday, it was definitely the best book in both series, and I enjoyed all of them - Snorri's story was fantastic . Lawrence also liked my review on goodreads.com haha, all I said is that it was simply amazing. Reading Dust to Dust now.
    I'm not gonna lie: The climax of Snorri's story is as close as I've gotten to tearing up over a book. It was built up so well over the course of the trilogy. Even the way the flashback was revealed was perfect.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I'm halfway through Dust to Dust and Conlan showed up This book is pretty damn good, thanks for the series recommendation Chinook

Backup Goddess, tbh. Gummi Clutch's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    "Beyond good and evil" friend said it just came out recently, supposed to be really good

Thread Information