Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    I'll check it out. I probably recommended it before, but Robin Hobb's Realm of the Elderlings series is one of my favorites. I'm gonna read Age of Myth by Sullivan soon, and the newest Laundry Files by Charles Stross.
    If you want to get into The Cycle, make sure to start with Cycle of Arawn, which is a different series in name only. Galand absolutely depends on the reader reading Arawn first.

I have Age of Myth, but I'm holding out for Sullivan to release the whole series first. A new one drops at the end of the year, I think.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    Name
    benefactor
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    So a good friend of mine is in jail and reads fast as . Need some stuff that's good and relatively cheap. Anything fantasy.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    So a good friend of mine is in jail and reads fast as . Need some stuff that's good and relatively cheap. Anything fantasy.
    Here it really is all about the authors.

Lin Carter
    Fritz Leiber
    Robert E.Howard
    H.P.Lovecraft
    Edgar Rice Burroughs
    Otis Kline

Own over 100 books by that gang, and found them all at yard sales/thrift shops.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    E-books or paperback only?

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    Name
    benefactor
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    E-books or paperback only?
    Paperback

I've actually started reading again for the first time in 10 years. 11/22/63 by Stephen King. I'm about 450 pages in and really enjoying it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Paperback

I've actually started reading again for the first time in 10 years. 11/22/63 by Stephen King. I'm about 450 pages in and really enjoying it.
    I read that a few years ago. Maybe the only King book that I enjoyed in 15 years. I think.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Anything by Lord Dunsany.

Edward Plunkett, 18th Baron of Dunsany

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
    "Lord Dunsany" redirects here. For the peerage, see Baron of Dunsany.
    "Edward Plunkett" redirects here. For other uses, see Edward Plunkett (disambiguation).
    The Right Honourable
    The Lord Dunsany
    Edward JMD Plunkett
    Lord Dunsany (18th Baron)
    Born (1878-07-24)24 July 1878
    London, England
    Died 25 October 1957(1957-10-25) (aged 79)
    Dublin, Ireland
    Pen name Lord Dunsany
    Occupation Writer (short story writer, playwright, novelist, poet)
    Nationality Irish, British
    Genre Crime, High fantasy, Horror, Science fiction, Weird
    Notable works Early short story collections, The King of Elfland's Daughter
    Edward John Moreton Drax Plunkett, 18th Baron of Dunsany (/dʌnˈseɪni/; 24 July 1878 – 25 October 1957) was an Anglo-Irish writer and dramatist; his work, mostly in the fantasy genre, was published under the name Lord Dunsany. More than eighty books of his work were published, and his oeuvre includes many hundreds of published short stories, as well as successful plays, novels and essays. He is best known for his 1924 fantasy novel The King of Elfland's Daughter. He achieved great fame and success with his early short stories and plays, and during the 1910s was considered one of the greatest living writers of the English-speaking world.
    Born and raised in London, to the second-oldest le (created 1439) in the Irish peerage, Dunsany lived much of his life at what may be Ireland's longest-inhabited house, Dunsany Castle near Tara, worked with W. B. Yeats and Lady Gregory, received an honorary doctorate from Trinity College, Dublin, was chess and pistol-shooting champion of Ireland, and travelled and hunted extensively. He died in Dublin after an attack of appendicitis.
    Last edited by Avante; 08-30-2017 at 11:32 PM.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    If you want to get into The Cycle, make sure to start with Cycle of Arawn, which is a different series in name only. Galand absolutely depends on the reader reading Arawn first.

I have Age of Myth, but I'm holding out for Sullivan to release the whole series first. A new one drops at the end of the year, I think.
    The White Tree was good.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I read that a few years ago. Maybe the only King book that I enjoyed in 15 years. I think.
    Wind Through the Keyhole and the Bill Hodges trilogy were top notch.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    The White Tree was good.
    I got the complete trilogy as a bundle, so I don't even remember the second book's name. I'd say White Tree has the weakest climax of the three, but it gets you into the action faster. I'm glad you liked it.

I'm on the Viridian Gate Archives right now. It's pretty good, though I'm not used to Lit RPGs. Dawn of Wonder was a very fascinating first book, and the hope the rest of The Wakening series turns out as good as it's shaping up to be. I also read Andrew Rowe's three books. They're all pretty good. Cephrael's Hand was pretty good, but it felt derivative.

Got to finish the Broken Earth trilogy when The Stone Sky came out. A bit disappointed in the finish, but the series was so different from everything I've read that it almost felt like a palette cleanser.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I started reading Pandora's Star. A book that I bought like 5 or so years ago.

I'm not into science or space stuff but this book is gripping. Cant stop reading it.

I'm going to buy the rest of these books.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    Yo...is the Red Rising series worth reading? I started the first one but got sidetracked.
    A bit late here. But, YES!

I'd say it's prolly my favorite series I've ever read.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    Just finished the 2nd book of Kingkiller Chronicle. Loved both books despite the main character being somewhat of a Gary Stu.

The description of Kvothe in synopsis is actually the main reason why I ignored reading this series for as long as I did. But I simply couldn't ignore it's high ovr rating on goodreads any longer and gave in. And I'm happy to say that my only regret is waiting as long as I had. I found both Patrick's world building and the story Kvothe's adventures quite gripping.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Just finished the 2nd book of Kingkiller Chronicle. Loved both books despite the main character being somewhat of a Gary Stu.

The description of Kvothe in synopsis is actually the main reason why I ignored reading this series for as long as I did. But I simply couldn't ignore it's high ovr rating on goodreads any longer and gave in. And I'm happy to say that my only regret is waiting as long as I had. I found both Patrick's world building and the story Kvothe's adventures quite gripping.
    Check out Slow Regard of Silent Things, too. It's about Auri.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    It's always more about authors.

Olaf Stapeldon......a must read.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    Check out Slow Regard of Silent Things, too. It's about Auri.

Will do

Name
    Bruno
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Just lower your expectations because SRoST is nothing like the other books, there's no "real" characters other than Ari, and will only show how she thinks and her day-to-day activities...There will be 2 or 3 actually relevant information about the series.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies

Wise Men's Fear is such a long-ass book that manages to pretty much go nowhere at the same time. I liked a whole lot about it, despite the tone of my criticism. I just think Patrick is struggling to reconcile the lack of development in that book with the idea that everything is supposed to be completed by the end of the next one. Sure, Kvothe is probably still a teenager when he's telling the story, but there is still likely years between where we are in the narrative and when the framing device occurs.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    Wise Men's Fear is such a long-ass book that manages to pretty much go nowhere at the same time. I liked a whole lot about it, despite the tone of my criticism. I just think Patrick is struggling to reconcile the lack of development in that book with the idea that everything is supposed to be completed by the end of the next one. Sure, Kvothe is probably still a teenager when he's telling the story, but there is still likely years between where we are in the narrative and when the framing device occurs.
    It honestly feels like this is a prequel trilogy. Patrick says Doors of Stone is suppose to take us from ending of WMF to "Kvothe's life arrived to where he is now". Considering the final exchange between Bast and the Chronicler, it doesn't seem like Kvothe has dealt with the Chandrian before he met the chronicler.

Otoh, PR has also said that Doors of Stone is suppose to draw an end to Kvothe's arc. So... wtf? Does that mean that DoS suppose to cover Kvothe's life from the end of WMF to Waystone Inn + the final showdown vs Chandrian?

If so, how ing big will it be?

If not, do the following books follow Bast instead? Because PR has has confirmed that he will continue writing about this world. But he hasn't given any indication as to what it will be out.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    It honestly feels like this is a prequel trilogy. Patrick says Doors of Stone is suppose to take us from ending of WMF to "Kvothe's life arrived to where he is now". Considering the final exchange between Bast and the Chronicler, it doesn't seem like Kvothe has dealt with the Chandrian before he met the chronicler.

Otoh, PR has also said that Doors of Stone is suppose to draw an end to Kvothe's arc. So... wtf? Does that mean that DoS suppose to cover Kvothe's life from the end of WMF to Waystone Inn + the final showdown vs Chandrian?

If so, how ing big will it be?

If not, do the following books follow Bast instead? Because PR has has confirmed that he will continue writing about this world. But he hasn't given any indication as to what it will be out.
    I wouldn't put too much stock into what he says. I really do think he feels he messed up when writing WMF, and that's why DoS has taken so long. The idea that Kvothe or whatever name he takes henceforth could have more books written about him after this one makes a ton of sense, though I don't know how well fans will take the news that DoS doesn't resolve the conflicts.

If I had to pick, I'd say Kvothe legit believes his story is done at this point. He's telling Chronicler everything as if it's a three-act play, but it really does feel like a four-act structure, with whatever terrible happening in DoS being the "black moment" that begins the final act. I'd rather that happen than have the plot rushed to the ending just because it was originally billed as a trilogy. There are legit ways to end things in this book, but unless those things make sense, it would be better to just split the rest of the story into two or three more books.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Don Winslow's Power of the Dog series is pretty good, last book just came out and I am almost done with the second. Like reading a more in depth Narcos:Mexico.

Master of Information Dr. Gonzo's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    TAMU-CC Islanders
    I like Murakami books. Kafka on the Shore was really good. 1Q84 was a fantastic read.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    Finished the Malazan series last night. That was a proper beast right there. I was completely immersed into the series up until The Bonehunters(#6). Kinda started losing interest in the characters after that because of how bloated the books/series had become due to the ridiculous amount of fillers in there. I slogged through the rest of the series because the overall quality was still good, but it was just really hard to keep caring about the characters the way I did in the first half of the series. Idk if that makes any sense, but it's how I felt.

Next up I'm starting The Expanse series.
    I've also gotta re-read Stormlight Archives in preparation for RoW release.
    And then I'd like to knock out the stand alone books in The First Law series before the end of the year. I loved the Trilogy and have heard nothing but great things about the stand alone books.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Life and times of the

Thunderbolt Kid

by Bill Bryson

I was at my fathers and had not noticed it in his library before. He said good book but dated and I found it absolutely hilarious. Good book for these times.
    This guy is an incredibly good writer. I laughed out loud at night and was asked nicely to go into another room. I wish I had grown up during the 50s-60s in the Midwest.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I read all of James Lee Burke's Robicheaux books, all 23 of them were great.

Thread Information