Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Live by what you Speak. DarkReign's Avatar
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    I am going to have this problem with my wife and child soon enough.

Unfortunately for my wife, the likelihood of me going to church for anything but a funeral or wedding are somewhere between never and impossible.

Honestly, this is the one gray area of our very long relationship that barely gets addressed. My son will not be attending any church or be indoctrinated by fairy tales.

Then again, I could play the pacifist and let him come to his own conclusions about God, which I would suspect will coincide with his revelation about the existence of Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and leprechauns.

Naw... it. He'll know earlier than that on our walks together.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Honestly, this is the one gray area of our very long relationship that barely gets addressed. My son will not be attending any church or be indoctrinated by fairy tales.

Then again, I could play the pacifist and let him come to his own conclusions about God, which I would suspect will coincide with his revelation about the existence of Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and leprechauns.

Naw... it. He'll know earlier than that on our walks together.
    You never know... holding him back from church might lead him to think there's a reason you're hiding church from him and make him want to be religious even moreso.

It's off a video game. lazerelmo's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you know instead of subjecting yourself and children to church you could just let them be exposed to religion in school...

Oh that's right, we can't have religion in schools anymore. Why is that? Could it be?

Athiests?!? <in church lady voice>

My Team
    Miami Heat
    Post Count
    My son will not be attending any church or be indoctrinated by fairy tales.

your right there is enough of that already in our schools

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count

Children's Book. Never was written as factual history. Same category as Sesame Street, The Wonder Pets and the Mr and Ms books.

Evolution happens and is well-do ented in all species. The only "mystery" about evolution are what triggers it.

Sorry, non-fiction section.

Shakespeare? Seriously?!

The English language perfected? Also a work of near-perfect fiction to boot?!

Ok, mouse.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I believe in God, but don't go to any church. But, I also don't go to any meetings of atheists (assuming such events exist). My kids are smart enough to figure it out for themselves.
    I find it mildly amusing that you and I share appear to share the same outlook on this.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    You never know... holding him back from church might lead him to think there's a reason you're hiding church from him and make him want to be religious even moreso.
    Somehow, I went my whole life without my father ever once taking me to church and at no point did I suspect he was hiding something from me.

Before he died at age 54, plenty of conversations were had about such things and never once did it devolve into popular dogma as a realistic alternative to individual spirituality.

I, personally, do not believe in any God. Christ, his Father (apparently He and Christ are one), Allah, Buddha, Flying Spaghetti Monster, etc.

I believe reality as we see it is an illusion of concentrated energy we call matter, or less specifically, the material world.

I believe our universe is one very insignificant layer of a multiverse that has infinite others much like, evertying in between and exactly opposite anything resembling ours.

I believe blackholes are the creation of another universe as seen from the "backside". One collapse here is another Big Bang there.

I believe the only truth in life is the way in which you choose to live it.

Good, bad, great and evil are terms ascribed to those attributes and behaviors with which one does not identify with as acceptable to their value of life.

There is no punishment for mass murder in the after-life just as there is no reward for "good behavior" either. We are walking, talking temporary energy containers who will either return to a network of some source of energy that is not God with consciousness intact, or we wont.

Death is not scary, bad or tragic for the dead. You will be born, you will live, you will die. Those are 3 phases of this existence you are aware of. I am betting since I dont remember anything before birth, the chances of me remembering anything after death isnt too high.

I dont seem to mind too much that I didnt exist before I was born, I suspect I wont mind too much when I dont exist after death, if thats the case.

Such. Is. Life.

Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Viva Las Espuelas's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is there a higher rate of child molestation at churches because obviously quite a bit of it goes on there.
    And universities.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Somehow, I went my whole life without my father ever once taking me to church and at no point did I suspect he was hiding something from me.

Before he died at age 54, plenty of conversations were had about such things and never once did it devolve into popular dogma as a realistic alternative to individual spirituality.

I, personally, do not believe in any God. Christ, his Father (apparently He and Christ are one), Allah, Buddha, Flying Spaghetti Monster, etc.

I believe reality as we see it is an illusion of concentrated energy we call matter, or less specifically, the material world.

I believe our universe is one very insignificant layer of a multiverse that has infinite others much like, evertying in between and exactly opposite anything resembling ours.

I believe blackholes are the creation of another universe as seen from the "backside". One collapse here is another Big Bang there.

Good, bad, great and evil are terms ascribed to those attributes and behaviors with which one does not identify with as acceptable to their value of life.

There is no punishment for mass murder in the after-life just as there is no reward for "good behavior" either. We are walking, talking temporary energy containers who will either return to a network of some source of energy that is not God with consciousness intact, or we wont.

Death is not scary, bad or tragic for the dead. You will be born, you will live, you will die. Those are 3 phases of this existence you are aware of. I am betting since I dont remember anything before birth, the chances of me remembering anything after death isnt too high.

I dont seem to mind too much that I didnt exist before I was born, I suspect I wont mind too much when I dont exist after death, if thats the case.

Such. Is. Life.
    the goods

Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Viva Las Espuelas's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you know instead of subjecting yourself and children to church you could just let them be exposed to religion in school...

Oh that's right, we can't have religion in schools anymore. Why is that? Could it be?

Athiests?!? <in church lady voice>
    Wasnt she found in a barrel?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they express a desire to go i could understand not forbidding it but I will never let me my children be compelled to go to.

Its not hard. I just sat down and read 1st and 2nd Timothy. Do that with your children. its a good laugh. Ask stuff like: what do you think Mom would think about what Paul says is a woman's place? Or do you think that do you think that blindly accepting something and being unwilling to listen and discuss alternate viewpoints is a good thing?

Or better yet read the Gospels and then read Paul's and play compare and contrast. That line of reasoning is even better going back to the Old Testament.

Letting your kids be taught the way they teach that at Sunday school with coloring books and absolutely not even the slightest attempt at analysis just seems irresponsible to me.

And just think if one of them does rape your child chances are the leadership will try and cover it up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Such. Is. Life.
    +1

That is about what I have come to believe.

I kinda wish I could live a lot longer. Being a self-aware chunk of dead stars is fun.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wasnt she found in a barrel?
    Something like that. A gruesome end. She was murdered over money, if memory serves.

Her relatives or whatnot had her body cremated and the ashes scattered, to keep people from praying over her corpse/grave.

Sad, all around.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At least we know that Sandusky is going to be buttraped in prison for a very long time and Paterno and his athletic directors are being outed in disgrace.

That being said, the culture that the NCAA has created in college athletics is disgusting exploitation.

Churches statistically do not have a higher chance of molestation. Its all about how they handle it after the fact.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For who?

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    +1

That is about what I have come to believe.

I kinda wish I could live a lot longer. Being a self-aware chunk of dead stars is fun.
    With the way technology is going, there's always a chance about downloading our brains onto a wire some 60 years from now... at least, that's what I'm hoping for. Death on MY terms damn it!

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With the way technology is going, there's always a chance about downloading our brains onto a wire some 60 years from now... at least, that's what I'm hoping for. Death on MY terms damn it!

Good morning LnGrrrR 2.0...

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count

Good morning LnGrrrR 2.0...
    When you're an atheist, "something" is almost always better than "nothing".

Or at the least, better to have some form of control than not. Humility my ass.

All Hail the Legatron The Reckoning's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    id prefer to be nothing for eternity than pixels, but thats a personal preference i guess. better yet, id prefer to be a good story and nothing more.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    With the way technology is going, there's always a chance about downloading our brains onto a wire some 60 years from now
    I predict your 5mb of brain knowledge will take at 20 seconds to download.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I went for a while until one day I was looking at my watch and looking outside and thought "why am I here?" and I got up and left. Then I remembered I rode with someone else. That was awkward.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I believe in some sort of afterlife. I don't believe in a particular God, but I believe there's something beyond the material world. I had one encounter with what I believe was a spirit. I could be wrong, but I believe otherwise.

Here's one interesting story: when my grandmother was dying my mom asked her to "let her know she's around" after she's died. My grandmother said she'd ring the doorbell to the house 3 times. It happened a couple years after her death. Ding dong ditchers? Maybe. But I believe not.

Billy Bob
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Such. Is. Life.
    +1
    wow, so you mean that Hitler never got punished for his crimes in ?
    So this means that we could bone any hot chick off the street and justify our behavior by telling them that we live in a multiverse, string theory, universe and are temporary walking en ies made of energy.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I used to be mildly religious, but just couldn't buy it anymore, and finally made the leap a year or so ago. I feel much better for having done so.
    That's interesting to me. I've gone from mildly atheistic to moderately religious as I've grown older. I've found no downside in choosing to believe in something greater than myself. What is it that makes you feel better for becoming atheist?

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count

Children's Book. Never was written as factual history. Same category as Sesame Street, The Wonder Pets and the Mr and Ms books.
    I take it you haven't seen the real story: Just a "B" movie, but I thinks it's a good one.

IMDB: Jack and the Beanstalk: The Real Story

Netflix: Jack and the Beanstalk: The Real Story

Thread Information