Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    how about atheists who marry catholics and force to have a church ceremony or turn to catholic, but never goes to church on sundays after it....lmao@friends....

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    That's interesting to me. I've gone from mildly atheistic to moderately religious as I've grown older. I've found no downside in choosing to believe in something greater than myself. What is it that makes you feel better for becoming atheist?
    Who said it was anything about "feeling better"? I mean, I don't "feel better" for being an atheist anymore so than I "feel better" for liking Pepsi over Coke.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    +1
    wow, so you mean that Hitler never got punished for his crimes in ?
    So this means that we could bone any hot chick off the street and justify our behavior by telling them that we live in a multiverse, string theory, universe and are temporary walking en ies made of energy.

What do multiverses have to do with systems of morality?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who said it was anything about "feeling better"? I mean, I don't "feel better" for being an atheist anymore so than I "feel better" for liking Pepsi over Coke.
    RG did. Which is why I asked him to explain what he meant by it.

Billy Bob
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What do multiverses have to do with systems of morality?
    Everything! We do live in this Universe, o! But where does morality come from? And why do you'll Atheists follow it?(Im neither, so don't bother to label me. I don't give a ! God/religion and Atheists to) I would just go anarchy in this ass universe. We are just walking information of energy like you said that's starting again in a black hole in another dimension.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Everything! We do live in this Universe, o! But where does morality come from? And why do you'll Atheists follow it?(Im neither, so don't bother to label me. I don't give a ! God/religion and Atheists to) I would just go anarchy in this ass universe. We are just walking information of energy like you said that's starting again in a black hole in another dimension.
    I live in a house, but I don't think that reflects on my moral framework either.

And technically, you can't be "neither". You either have faith (theist) or you don't (atheist). You either have knowledge (gnostic) or you don't (agnostic).

Atheists follow morality due to various reasons. It's a good way to live in society, it's instilled by our parents, it feels like the "right" thing to do, etc etc.

(Oh, and DR mentioned the black hole thing.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    RG did. Which is why I asked him to explain what he meant by it.
    Ah, mea culpa. Rereading his comment, I assume he meant he felt better because he wasn't telling people he was a Catholic/Christian when deep inside his heart he didn't feel religious. Not necessarily feeling better for being an atheist, but for being true to his own beliefs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And technically, you can't be "neither". You either have faith (theist) or you don't (atheist). You either have knowledge (gnostic) or you don't (agnostic).
    Everyone has faith even if they don't admit it. Everyone is agnostic even if they don't admit it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everyone has faith even if they don't admit it.
    faith in what?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everyone has faith even if they don't admit it. Everyone is agnostic even if they don't admit it.
    So everyone is an agnostic theist? lol

What sort of faith do I have? Do tell because I missed the memo.

I think you just mistyped but......Agnosticism doesn't delve into whether or not you actually possess knowledge, rather it describes one's belief that said knowledge is possible/impossible.

Yeah, hair-splitting.....but an important distinction methinks. Else we are all, by definition, agnostic as Snakeboy stated.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    I think you just mistyped but......Agnosticism doesn't delve into whether or not you actually possess knowledge, rather it describes one's belief that said knowledge is possible/impossible.

Yeah, hair-splitting.....but an important distinction methinks. Else we are all, by definition, agnostic as Snakeboy stated.
    Yes, that's a more correct way to say it. I usually just simplify it, since the idea that one can be an agnostic atheist is enough to throw people.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Disagree. I've known Calvinists who were pretty gnostic, and I myself wouldn't say I have anything that I'd define as "faith". Maybe if you watered the word down quite a bit, but then it'd be a near useless term.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's quite scary to think of all the people who only behave in a moral/ethical manner because they believe in God.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, that's a more correct way to say it. I usually just simplify it, since the idea that one can be an agnostic atheist is enough to throw people.
    Indeed. I've had more than a few folks argue that point with me. The idea just requires a bit more thinking which, for some, can be quite painful.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I live in a house, but I don't think that reflects on my moral framework either.

Atheists follow morality due to various reasons. It's a good way to live in society, it's instilled by our parents, it feels like the "right" thing to do, etc etc.

(Oh, and DR mentioned the black hole thing.
    I think the argument can be made that our notions of morality are rooted in various religious beliefs/practices/mores.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Many people are taught the Christian thing through their parents. Parents or whatever setting we were raised in set our behavioral standards to a very high degree. I think people get confused about the two.

There are many means to social control. Empirical behavior is learned. What types of actions result in positive or negative feedback. There are a whole slew of cliches about it. Boy who cried wolf, once bitten twice shy, and pavlov's dogs.

If you think God is the only thing holding you back you are either a sociopath or have no idea of your surroundings which is either deluded or psychopathic.

Self control being a virtue does not need to be mandated by God. It is not for me.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    I think the argument can be made that our notions of morality are rooted in various religious beliefs/practices/mores.
    I would argue otherwise, that a system of morality must rise up as people cohabitate, to sustain the existence of society. Otherwise, why would various religions tend to the same basic tenets of morality?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    who originally came up with the various religious beliefs/practices/mores?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Presumably, a deity.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Presumably, a deity.
    That's kinda a weird thing to think about actually. Like, God is just chilling outside at his barbeque, thinking, "Damn this cow smells GREAT on the grill! Maybe I'll make some cows with arms and brains who can grill themselves. I don't see why more of this delicious burning scent could ever be a bad thing!"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's kinda a weird thing to think about actually. Like, God is just chilling outside at his barbeque, thinking, "Damn this cow smells GREAT on the grill! Maybe I'll make some cows with arms and brains who can grill themselves. I don't see why more of this delicious burning scent could ever be a bad thing!"
    If you read Leviticus and Deuteronomy with the idea that quite a bit of the mandates were about setting up a permanent barbeque for the priest class it starts making a lot of sense.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    If you read Leviticus and Deuteronomy with the idea that quite a bit of the mandates were about setting up a permanent barbeque for the priest class it starts making a lot of sense.
    Im gonna look into this priest gig. Free steak ftw.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Im gonna look into this priest gig. Free steak ftw.
    Yeah, but you can forget about pork ribs, sausage and bacon

Billy Bob
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ancient Alien Theorist believe that Aliens changed our whole genome (when we where hairy apes) and gave us the ten commandments, which the majority of our moral values descend from.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Ancient Alien Theorist believe that Aliens changed our whole genome (when we where hairy apes) and gave us the ten commandments, which the majority of our moral values descend from.
    Sumerian historical literature can be translated to mean that as well.

Thread Information