SW: Hot As Hell
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would like suggestions for a free hard drive recovery program. I have a laptop with an unrecoverable corrupted Windows 7 install. I am trying to get some files off it. So far I have been able to boot from a USB stick with either a Linux or Windows PE s and can then access the drive with demo recovery software, but to actually copy the files, they want you to purchase them. It's only $70, but I am doing this as a favor for a third party. The files are visable but all of the free software/trialware allows for only a max of 60kb file size for reovery, which of course leaves a lot out.

Any ideas? Just s out for the program? Any Linux software out there?

I do have an external USB case to put the 2.5 SATA drive in to work off another computer if that makes a difference.

Any help is appreciated.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i have had luck in the past just opening my pc case and connecting drives without an external case, just plugging in IDE or SATA and pulling stuff off that way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

SW: Hot As Hell
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    leemajors

I can't do that becuse its a 2.5 latop drive and I don't have a laptop that supports two hard drives at once. The connector isnt the same as the 3.5 desktop SATA cable. Maybe there is a converter cable? Will check.

ElNono

I tried that one, but it wouldn't detect the hard drive, and the portable USB version isn't free. I'm going to try and use it with the drive in the external USB case on another machine and see if that works. I've noticed many of the "FREE" programs come with catches. But I guess I should expect that.

Thanks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've used this one in the past and was able to recover files but it's a bit tricky to use.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Read the do entation on the bottom as this program doesn't have a nice gui (all DOS based) or meant for the everyday person.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ahh that sucks, i guess i was lucky.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    leemajors

I can't do that becuse its a 2.5 latop drive and I don't have a laptop that supports two hard drives at once. The connector isnt the same as the 3.5 desktop SATA cable. Maybe there is a converter cable? Will check.
    There might be an adapter that is stuck on the laptop drive itself that slides off to reveal a standard SATA port.

Thread Information