San Antonio Spurs
    bought a gym set at home, after one month lost motivation to continue

now collecting dusts under my bed

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    You shouldn't have given me the knife, now i got four weapons these, my , and this

Strange segue, but still. Props.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    i don't have the right type of build for squats. it's not my fault that i have bad form. hard to explain but it's just not possible for me to have perfect form with the way i'm built. long femur in proportion to the lower leg imho. what it is, the knee is never supposed to come forward in front of the ankle whenever you go down, but in my case i can't prevent it.
    Ah gotcha. Yeah, sucks when genetics limit you in different ways. In my case, I have an allergy to alcohol, so I can't really drink.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    bench,deadlift and squats -- I suggest Bill Starr's 5x5 beginners but what do I know
    This. 5x5 is a GREAT starting point.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    wtf squats and deadlift in recreational (non-sports) training regimen? you training to invade cambodia?
    Squats and deadlifts are probably the two most important weightlifting exercises to do. Both work out virtually every muscle group in the body.

Just because you lift weights, doesn't mean you are trying to get a monster body like Arnold or something. You can lift weights, and still have a slender frame/build. Look at basketball players. A lot of them can lift an incredible amount, despite the fact that they aren't particularly muscular. People say Earl Boykins benches over 300 lbs, and he's tiny. Kobe benches well over 300 as well, and he's not particularly big either.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I think you will find this program to be very useful, Leetonidas. It did wonders for me within just a couple months. Trying keep it up for a full year. I've done a number of different types of workout/weight lifting routines, and none have gotten me the results that this program has.

http://stronglifts.com/

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    dont ever neglect compound lifts

Squats (most important of all)
    Bench Press
    Barbell Row
    Deadlift
    Overhead Press

People waste so much time doing iso exercises.

I skip the BB rows because my form is bad, just the way my body is I can never get the right form so I do iso with db's.

I'll add chin ups to that list.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    Texas Longhorns

People waste so much time doing iso exercises.

I skip the BB rows because my form is bad, just the way my body is I can never get the right form so I do iso with db's.

I'll add chin ups to that list.
    Yeah, I would throw chin-ups and dips in as well.

above average height mavs>spurs's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    good old fashioned pullups can get you big as . there are some videos on youtube of guys who do some crazy workouts with just a pullup bar, and look like body builders. you'd really have to build up to some of the stuff they do, though.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I think you will find this program to be very useful, Leetonidas. It did wonders for me within just a couple months. Trying keep it up for a full year. I've done a number of different types of workout/weight lifting routines, and none have gotten me the results that this program has.

http://stronglifts.com/
    That's a nice program. Many many years ago when I was younger I spent alot of time lifting weights trying to bulk up without much progress (I was naturally skinny when I was younger). Finally a big dude at the gym told me to just stick with almost that exact routine except he recommended 8 sets/5-10 reps. I put on around 25 lbs of muscle in under a year just doing that. The suprising thing was how much easier it was. My workout went from 1 1/2 hours of doing all kinds of iso and machine exercises to about 30 minutes with much better gains.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    That's a nice program. Many many years ago when I was younger I spent alot of time lifting weights trying to bulk up without much progress (I was naturally skinny when I was younger). Finally a big dude at the gym told me to just stick with almost that exact routine except he recommended 8 sets/5-10 reps. I put on around 25 lbs of muscle in under a year just doing that. The suprising thing was how much easier it was. My workout went from 1 1/2 hours of doing all kinds of iso and machine exercises to about 30 minutes with much better gains.
    Yup, its amazing how such a simple routine can have such great results. Like you said, its awesome how it cuts you down to a 30-45 minute workout, when in the past it may have been well over an hour.

I will do an occasional full body iso workout to exhaustion, just to keep some of my different support and stabilizing muscles well worked, but I pretty much stick to those main 5 compound lifts, with some pull-ups and dips mixed in.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    bought a gym set at home, after one month lost motivation to continue

now collecting dusts under my bed
    Send it on over!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    College
    Oregon State Beavers
    How much ya bench?!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    bench,deadlift and squats -- I suggest Bill Starr's 5x5 beginners but what do I know
    You know more than most.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    is it possible to gain weight without doing any form of weights? and just drink protein whey and carb skakes?

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    is it possible to gain weight without doing any form of weights? and just drink protein whey and carb skakes?
    you but it wont be muscle, unless your doing some form of body exercise like pull ups or push ups

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Yeah, fat.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    College
    Oregon State Beavers
    God damn I love that avatar!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    dont ever neglect compound lifts

Squats (most important of all)
    Bench Press
    Barbell Row
    Deadlift
    Overhead Press

As long as you do those regularly with proper form, your entire body will grow bigger and stronger, faster than if you do a bunch of isolation crap or machine exercises.
    Also, don't listen to gots who tell you "dont squat so low that your hips are below your knees or you will mess your knees up" or "don't let the bar touch your chest on the bench press or your shoulders will be messed up".

Those are bull . Keeping your hips above your knees messes them up more than going past the knees. And on the bench press, make sure your grip is wide enough that your forearms are perpendicular to the bar when you touch the chest. Your gains will increase faster and your stabilizing muscles will become infinitely stronger. Trust me. And if you haven't been doing that already, then I would suggest starting to do so, but deload on the weight you have been doing, so that you can let the stabilizing muscles catch up in strength.

Those are my regular exercises and you're right about all that, my bro I train with is a super fitness nerd and he has told me all the same

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    the key isn't how much exercise you do but how much you eat imho. say you may do exercise full-loaded at daytime but you'll eat an awful lot at dinner and end up gaining more weight.
    Sons this is true. If you wanna build muscle you needa eat a lot. Not ing Hostess twinkie's and funyuns but lot's of tasty burgers with just meat and delicious wheat breads. It's funny, if you wanna eat a lot, just lift a lot.

Ina world of hype, we win IronMexican's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    USC Trojans
    Squat lower, tbh

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    So I hear that if you workout at Planet Fitness, they won't let you deadlift a load of weight or grunt and exhale (which is scientifically proven to help you under stress) and if you do they'll kick you out while sounding some Hulk alarm or some ? If so I wish to test this

Ina world of hype, we win IronMexican's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    USC Trojans
    Lunk alarm tbh.

They don't let you deadlift at all.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    Texas Longhorns

Those are my regular exercises and you're right about all that, my bro I train with is a super fitness nerd and he has told me all the same
    Good to hear

Sons this is true. If you wanna build muscle you needa eat a lot. Not ing Hostess twinkie's and funyuns but lot's of tasty burgers with just meat and delicious wheat breads. It's funny, if you wanna eat a lot, just lift a lot.
    Yeah, basically as long as you work out on a regular basis, and eat more calories than you burn, you will grow.

So I hear that if you workout at Planet Fitness, they won't let you deadlift a load of weight or grunt and exhale (which is scientifically proven to help you under stress) and if you do they'll kick you out while sounding some Hulk alarm or some ? If so I wish to test this

I think its a bit annoying when people are basically screaming when they grunt/exhale, because it pretty much seems like a cry for attention. I definitely let out a hearty exhale when I'm tired, but not to the point where everyone in the damn gym is looking at me. That's just obnoxious.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Yes it's true. I had membership there for the summer when I couldn't go to my university gym. They prohibited one dude from doing deadlifts. They would also give me the evil eye when ever I did a few sets. Furthermore, there are no squat racks or a bench press, only smith machines. Also, the dumbbells go as high as 75 lbs.

The Planet Fitness I went was the only one in the city with a regular bench press but no squat rack. That's the only reason I went there for a few months because I would take the barbell from the bench for deadlifts, rows, push presses, and front squats. Most Planet Fitness gyms might not have barbells to do deadlifts.

Thread Information