Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    above average height mavs>spurs's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    honestly people that limit calories are doing something wrong or just have a metabolism. if you're eating nothing but lean healthy food, meals spaced out evenly, you can pretty much afford to eat as much as you like.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    i never understood limiting calorie intake. whenever i was working out, i always ate as much as humanly possible for maximum growth. everyone i know who is big does the same, if you're active and do your cardio i don't see why a healthy young lifter would eat anything under 3k calories per day.
    My goal isn't to get particularly big though. You can still gain strength without getting huge (for instance, Kobe isn't particularly big, but reportedly benches well over 350). I'm currently trying to make strength gains while losing fat. I want to get down and hit a level of 6-8% body fat (not maintain, just reach it) by fall of this year, and starting winter, I'm going to focus on bulking up a bit more.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    honestly people that limit calories are doing something wrong or just have a metabolism. if you're eating nothing but lean healthy food, meals spaced out evenly, you can pretty much afford to eat as much as you like.
    Well, I'm not just sitting around counting calories. I'm moreso just eating less than I usually would eat, on non-workout days, and eating my normal amount (or slightly more) on workout days.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    My goal isn't to get particularly big though.
    well there you go

You can still gain strength without getting huge (for instance, Kobe isn't particularly big, but reportedly benches well over 350). I'm currently trying to make strength gains while losing fat. I want to get down and hit a level of 6-8% body fat (not maintain, just reach it) by fall of this year, and starting winter, I'm going to focus on bulking up a bit more.
    you know you can still eat as much as you want and lose body fat right? whats much more important is what you're eating, if you're eating nothing but lean chicken and many servings of fruits and vegetables every day with no junk or bad carbs like white breads and things, and working out/doing your cardio, you're going to naturally get leaner and stronger regardless no matter how much you eat. the key is what, not how much, and cardio. cardio is the key to being lean. guys who bulk do less cardio and eat 5k calories, i'd say 3k-3.5k for you.

point is, you don't have to limit your portions really, you can eat as much as you like as long as its the right things.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    If you really like milk, you could try the GOMAD diet (Gallon Of Milk A Day), although that might be overkill. I'd say a half gallon a day would more than fit most people's needs.
    LOL, I'm married to a lipidologist...she'd kill me if I started drinking that much milk a day. She's actually the one who got me to switch to a vegan diet (except when we go out to eat) by making me watch this movie...

http://movies.netflix.com/Movie/Fork...nives/70185045

Worth watching.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    well there you go

you know you can still eat as much as you want and lose body fat right? whats much more important is what you're eating, if you're eating nothing but lean chicken and many servings of fruits and vegetables every day with no junk or bad carbs like white breads and things, and working out/doing your cardio, you're going to naturally get leaner and stronger regardless no matter how much you eat. the key is what, not how much, and cardio. cardio is the key to being lean. guys who bulk do less cardio and eat 5k calories, i'd say 3k-3.5k for you.

point is, you don't have to limit your portions really, you can eat as much as you like as long as its the right things.
    Oh yeah, I know that. And it's not like I'm starving myself or struggling to get through the day. I still feel fine doing so, and have been able to lose fat at a very steady pace. I don't really eat much junk, and try to avoid drinking calories, unless it's milk. On non-workout days, I still eat at least 2000 calories, and on workout days I definitely hit the 3k mark.

I play basketball a couple times a week as well, and do light jogging/elliptical work from time to time to keep cardio up. I fully intend to increase it heavily soon though, probably in a month when it gets warmer. Especially since I'm in one of those stupid weight-loss contests at work, and if I win, I get like $300. I'm currently in the lead, and I haven't really tried hard to actually lose weight.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    My body is superior to your bodies

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    man i can't WAIT for it to get warmer. i need to get back into shape. rough breakup really ed my world up and i'm not half the athlete i used to be. been playing basketball a couple times here and there when i get the chance. basketball is really the best cardio you can do.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    man i can't WAIT for it to get warmer. i need to get back into shape. rough breakup really ed my world up and i'm not half the athlete i used to be. been playing basketball a couple times here and there when i get the chance. basketball is really the best cardio you can do.
    hoops is the best medicine after a rough breakup tbh

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    hoops is the best medicine after a rough breakup tbh
    Yup

Nothing heals rough breakups like holes

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    it really is, i use it to get away for a little while whenever i'm stressed out about school or something or just need a break. its easy to forget about everything else while you're playing basketball.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    i never understood limiting calorie intake. whenever i was working out, i always ate as much as humanly possible for maximum growth. everyone i know who is big does the same, if you're active and do your cardio i don't see why a healthy young lifter would eat anything under 3k calories per day.
    Obviously I'm not limiting my calories but eating as much as I can, but how the eff do you guys keep track of this ? Like how can I be certain I'm getting at least the 3000 - 3500 I need every day?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    rough breakup really ed my world up
    lol

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Obviously I'm not limiting my calories but eating as much as I can, but how the eff do you guys keep track of this ? Like how can I be certain I'm getting at least the 3000 - 3500 I need every day?
    Either you can get one of those apps where you can input all the food you eat and it estimates the calories you have taken in, or you can just eat till you feel full like 4-5 times a day, and that should probably be enough calories.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    it's usually a rough estimate, but every food label has the calorie content on it. the rest you can get off of some websites, broken down by volume for instance 8oz of chicken = X calories etc. they even have phone apps and programs that track this sort of stuff.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I've tried a phone app or two but they suck. I do t eat out much somi have to calculate 4 slices of turkey, 1 slice of cheese, 4 strips of bacon, mayo, mus , two slices of whole wheat bread, hand full of potato chips, pickle. Wtf, how do you calculate all that ?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    the package tells you how much is in each slice of turkey, cheese, etc. you just estimate where you have to and add it all up.....obviously you can't really calculate for the mus and but everything else it will tell you on the package.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I use the deli, can I get that info from them?

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Why do you need it to be warm to get back into shape?

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I use the deli, can I get that info from them?
    Boars head or any other brand should have info on their website or packaging.

All Hail the Legatron The Reckoning's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    If you really like milk, you could try the GOMAD diet (Gallon Of Milk A Day), although that might be overkill. I'd say a half gallon a day would more than fit most people's needs.

kidney stones

Ina world of hype, we win IronMexican's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    USC Trojans
    GOMAD? Get the off /fit/. stretch.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Boars head or any other brand should have info on their website or packaging.
    Thanks brotha

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Hit 400lbs on my deadlift today

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Utah Jazz
    Instead of deadlifting, I've been doing powercleans like we used to do in football.

I don't take my chances with squatting, that's a herniated disc waiting to happen.

I usually do 4 sets x 6 reps bench three times a week and add 2.5 pounds on each side every week. On Mon/Wed I do 4 sets x 6 reps powercleans and add 5-10 pounds on each side every week. Then 3x12 of leg press, 4x10 bicep curls and 3x30 forearm curls. On Fridays I do bench, incline, tricep curls, leg press and calf raises. Tues/Thurs I do a ton of bicycle kicks and pullups. Saturdays I swim laps. I feel ing good.
    Last edited by IWantsACuatro; 04-11-2012 at 08:32 PM.

Thread Information