Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    There have been some pretty good duos of players who weren't necessarily considered the unquestioned #1 on their team throughout the history of the NBA. To list some of the more well known ones...

Shaq/Kobe (stfu if you are going to whine "kobe is NOT a #1 ")
    Magic/Kareem (early years)
    Lebron/Wade
    Pierce/Garnett
    Kareem/Oscar
    Stockton/Malone
    Erving/Malone
    T-Mac/Yao
    Dirk/Nash
    Mourning/Hardaway
    Nash/Amare
    Payton/Kemp

IMO, these are generally duos that both were about on par with each other in terms of importance to their team. If you could choose one of those duos (or name your own as I'm sure there are plenty I've missed) to build around with both players being in their primes, who would you take, and why?

Honestly, I find it hard to pick against Shaq and Kobe, although I would love to see a duo of Garnett and Pierce in their primes playing together...

that shit i don't like rayjayjohnson's Avatar
    My Team
    Denver Nuggets
    Post Count
    Watching this here thunder team,you can add Durrant/Westbrook. I expect big things for them

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    duncan/manu

we got like 1 year of healthy prime manu

My Team
    Denver Nuggets
    Post Count
    Westbrook is underrated. I know that sounds re ed, but he is. Watching the FB he ran wit the bounce pass to Harden then the oop to KD was a thing of beauty

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kareem was 1a early in Magic's career

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Watching this here thunder team,you can add Durrant/Westbrook. I expect big things for them
    Yeah, I thought about them, although IMO Durant is MUCH more important to the teams success than Westbrook.

My Team
    Denver Nuggets
    Post Count
    Right now, but the rate Westbrook is developing he will be at that level in under two years

My Team
    Denver Nuggets
    Post Count
    And these clearly no issue between kd and Westbrook. I would guess they're prett close and can get away with being chippy with one another, but watching them play, they're on the same wavelength

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I thought about them, although IMO Durant is MUCH more important to the teams success than Westbrook.
    go look at your list again, almost all of them were a small guy and a big for a reason. If Durant had a dominant big the league would be ed

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Westbrook is underrated. I know that sounds re ed, but he is. Watching the FB he ran wit the bounce pass to Harden then the oop to KD was a thing of beauty
    IMO Westbrook is so incredibly flawed in the halfcourt game. He either needs a defensive breakdown to score, or has to be hitting his jumpshot. Against elite teams, that simply will not work. He's as good as any player in the NBA on the fastbreak, but that only works so much come playoff time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shaq/Kobe.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IMO Westbrook is so incredibly flawed in the halfcourt game. He either needs a defensive breakdown to score, or has to be hitting his jumpshot. Against elite teams, that simply will not work. He's as good as any player in the NBA on the fastbreak, but that only works so much come playoff time.
    Amen

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    There have been some pretty good duos of players who weren't necessarily considered the unquestioned #1 on their team throughout the history of the NBA. To list some of the more well known ones...

Shaq/Kobe (stfu if you are going to whine "kobe is NOT a #1 ")
    Magic/Kareem (early years)
    Lebron/Wade
    Pierce/Garnett
    Kareem/Oscar
    Stockton/Malone
    Erving/Malone
    T-Mac/Yao
    Dirk/Nash
    Mourning/Hardaway
    Nash/Amare
    Payton/Kemp

IMO, these are generally duos that both were about on par with each other in terms of importance to their team. If you could choose one of those duos (or name your own as I'm sure there are plenty I've missed) to build around with both players being in their primes, who would you take, and why?

Honestly, I find it hard to pick against Shaq and Kobe, although I would love to see a duo of Garnett and Pierce in their primes playing together...
    Didn't see Oscar/Kareem but my guess they were the best on paper.
    Kareem and Magic were the best I have seen even better than Kobe and Shaq. It's close, but by the time Kobe started hitting his prime their issues were starting to bubble over. Hard for me to pick any of these other duos since they didnt win rings. As far as one and done duos I like Pierce/KG, Hakeem/Clyde over Moses/Erving. Dr.J's best days were long gone by 1983 inho ...(i know Clyde was old too) but Hakeem made up for it and Drexler wanted that ring bad.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    And these clearly no issue between kd and Westbrook. I would guess they're prett close and can get away with being chippy with one another, but watching them play, they're on the same wavelength
    Yeah I don't think they have that much of an issue with each other. Most duos have their times where they get pissed with each other. It's just part of basketball. What matters is how they respond on the court, and they generally respond well. They just both are not great half-court players.

Right now, but the rate Westbrook is developing he will be at that level in under two years
    If he develops a consistent jumpshot, he might end up being the best scoring-PG in the league. But considering how poor his mechanics currently are on his jumper, I can't see him ever being able to do much more than just hit the open jumpers, which isnt going to help him much once his athletic ability fades.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    INot saying they were the best but I loved GP and Kemp. What a waste that Kemp let himself get fat. His Finals against the Bulls and Rodman is very under rated. Many thought rodman was a GOAT defender but Kemp owned him.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    go look at your list again, almost all of them were a small guy and a big for a reason. If Durant had a dominant big the league would be ed
    Can't argue with this. Heck, you have to wonder what would have happened if the Thunder ended up getting Tyson Chandler a couple years back...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    INot saying they were the best but I loved GP and Kemp. What a waste that Kemp let himself get fat. His Finals against the Bulls and Rodman is very under rated. Many thought rodman was a GOAT defender but Kemp owned him.
    Kemp got fat in Cleveland

the Sonics for getting rid of him for that pussy Vin Baker

And yes, 1 on 1 Kemp bukkaked Rodman

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I LOVED watching this duo too. Kemp was such a monster.

It just seems like all great defenders have certain guys that just seem to match up well with them. I always remember seeing Bruce Bowen do work against so many elite SG/SFs throughout the league, but for some reason, Josh Howard (before he turned re ed) would consistently find ways to get his against the Spurs, without having to force a bunch of tough shots either, the way Kobe and Rayray and VC would have to against Bowen.

IIRC Penny Hardaway used to murder MJ too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I LOVED watching this duo too. Kemp was such a monster.

It just seems like all great defenders have certain guys that just seem to match up well with them. I always remember seeing Bruce Bowen do work against so many elite SG/SFs throughout the league, but for some reason, Josh Howard (before he turned re ed) would consistently find ways to get his against the Spurs, without having to force a bunch of tough shots either, the way Kobe and Rayray and VC would have to against Bowen.

IIRC Penny Hardaway used to murder MJ too.
    Yup

Virtually nobody was able to stop a young Duncan, but PJ Brown had his number.

And Penny used to murder both MJ and Pippen

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Kemp got fat in Cleveland

the Sonics for getting rid of him for that pussy Vin Baker

And yes, 1 on 1 Kemp bukkaked Rodman
    he got real fat in cleveland but his decline started with his contract squabbles in Seattle. He was underpaid, but he let that affect his play. Once he got the dough he started to eat too much of the fried dough with powder and sprinkles.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he got real fat in cleveland but his decline started with his contract squabbles in Seattle. He was underpaid, but he let that affect his play. Once he got the dough he started to eat too much of the fried dough with powder and sprinkles.
    " I have to feed all my illegitimate kids "

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I did not start following the NBA closely until 1995. Of the 1a/1b combos I have seen since then Shaq and Kobe are the best. Their true potential and the team's true potential showed in the 2001 playoffs went they went 12-1. They were unstoppable. Kareem and Oscar and Kareem and Magic would be others I would think might be at the top, but all I have to go by on them are stats. I believe Oscar was near the end of his career when he played with Kareem.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    [QUOTE=mercos;5610333]I did not start following the NBA closely until 1995. Of the 1a/1b combos I have seen since then Shaq and Kobe are the best. Their true potential and the team's true potential showed in the 2001 playoffs went they went 12-1. They were unstoppable. Kareem and Oscar and Kareem and Magic would be others I would think might be at the top, but all I have to go by on them are stats. I believe Oscar was near the end of his career when he played with Kareem.[/QUOTE]

Great point and Kareem was amazing but not in his prime yet, so if that is the case I feel more confident with Shaq/Kobe.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Shaq & Kobe vs Magic & Kareem is hard to say. Shaq was hands down unarguable and Kobe was a scoring machine. In 2001, nobody could do against that team, it took AI everything he had just to squeeze one game and avoid a complete sweep.

Although, you have Kareem & Magic who were perfect for each other. They just seemed to do everything right, sans Magic's notable brain fart. You have a scoring machine in Kareem and a bonafied leader who made his teammates better in Magic. That coupled with Magic's sheer versatility made the combination extremely hard to contend with.

tough call

above average height mavs>spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    monosylab1k and young husband

Thread Information