Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Wojo:

James Harden Turned Down Four-Year, $52M Extension Offer

By Adrian Wojnarowski

With a Wednesday deadline looming for a contract extension for James Harden, general manager Sam Presti and agent Rob Pelinka have been meeting for the past two days in Oklahoma City trying to work out a deal, sources told Yahoo Sports.

Harden, 23, recently turned down a four-year offer worth about $52 million, league sources told Yahoo! Sports. Harden, last season's Sixth Man of the Year, has been pushing for a maximum contract extension of four years, $60 million.

Nevertheless, the fact the two sides are still negotiating suggests there could be a deal to be made somewhere between the Thunder's latest offer and Harden's desire for a max contract.

As the Thunder did in Serge Ibaka's four-year, nearly $50 million contract extension, sources said management will try to sell Harden on incentive clauses that could get his deal closer to the $60 million he wants.

Presti and Pelinka have talked frequently in the weeks leading up to Wednesday's midnight deadline, sources said. Pelinka knows Harden will likely command a maximum contract on the open market as a restricted free agent, and has little motivation to settle for much less.

As one league executive with relationships on both sides of the talks said, "You're asking a player to take less money and remain a non-starter. Harden can start and go make more money. …That's a tough sell."

What the Thunder have to sell is simple: a chance to stay with a championship contender and play with a core of young stars for whom he has great affection. Oklahoma City signed Ibaka in August. For the Thunder to pay Harden the maximum, they would push well into a luxury-tax scenario that owner Clay Bennett doesn't want to pay – for now, anyway.

The NBA's deadline for players in the draft class of 2009 to sign extensions is Wednesday. If not, Harden can become a restricted free agent on July 1. Several teams with salary-cap space, including the Phoenix Suns, are strong candidates to offer Harden a maximum contract.

If Harden doesn't sign the extension, several league executives believe Presti could begin to explore trades for Harden sooner than later. Most believe it would be riskier to overhaul the Thunder – a championship contender – near the Feb. 21 trade deadline because it's too close to the start of the playoffs.

Nevertheless, Oklahoma City's insistence that it won't pay a third player beyond Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook a max contract could ultimately be a bluff. The Thunder could simply insist that now, only to cave later and match an offer sheet in the summer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    can't believe I missed this gem last season
    Dude..Bonner sucks..we all know that. But that was right after a streak of winning 4 games in a row for us. If we were going to get rid of his ass, that would have been the time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol overrated Harden

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    someone needs to take this Al-Qaeda bas out

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    OKC

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

Oklahoma City has traded James Harden to the Houston Rockets, league sources tell Y! Sports.

wow

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The Rockets send Kevin Martin, Jeremy Lamb and future draft considerations to the Thunder for Harden, sources tell Y! Sports.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

The Rockets send Kevin Martin, Jeremy Lamb and future draft considerations to the Thunder for Harden, sources tell Y! Sports.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And with that, OKC just dropped to the 3rd or 4th seed

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    @WojYahooNBA: Along with All-Star guard James Harden, the Thunder will send Cole Aldridge, Lazr Hayward and Daquan Cook to the Rockets, source tells Y!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wtf that's crazy

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Small Market Teams.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ... just lock in Heat-Lakers finals now.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Wojo: Talks on an extension broke down between the Thunder and Harden on an extension, and Presti moved quickly to trade him.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    ESPN has this on too.

Marc Stein: Houston Rockets close to acquiring James Harden from Oklahoma City in deal headlined by Kevin Martin, sources tell ESPN

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ESPN with the slow bads per the usual. Woj already has an article up and Stein is still saying talks are happening

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are the Rockets high?

Believe.
    My Team
    New York Knicks
    Post Count
    Um, how is this a bad trade for OKC? They got better. Jeremy Lamb is a stud. Kevin Martin is an expiring who will be a good bench player. They locked up Ibaka who is a rising star and will have draft picks to stash up on. OKC just got a whole lot better.

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count

That trade is ing stupid for both teams...

Rockets
    Thunder

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Ibaka is so overrated. Harden is the guy they should have locked up, not him.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Um, how is this a bad trade for OKC? They got better. Jeremy Lamb is a stud. Kevin Martin is an expiring who will be a good bench player. They locked up Ibaka who is a rising star and will have draft picks to stash up on. OKC just got a whole lot better.
    These are the quotes that will be of high entertainment value come the playoffs.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Yeah buddy! DWIGHT WHO?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    These are the quotes that will be of high entertainment value come the playoffs.
    Believe.

Thread Information