Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Green isn't good enough to worry about this, tbh..
    This is true.

There are two dozen Danny Greens in the league who pretty much go unnoticed because they don't get playing time.

I would rather get a good defender. Green is a poor man's George Hill. I like him, but he's not going to do much for us.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the Spurs will let him find an offer and decide if they'd match when they see one, meaning they won't be in a hurry to sign him barring a miraculous playoff showing, which is unlikely. Then some team will overpay for him for something like 3 years and 9 million and the Spurs won't match.

Kiwi, Advanced Stat Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Assuming RJ amnesty, they'll use cap space and address him after they've signed someone, as his restricted offer is so low. It'll probably be a wait and match approach, as Green's scoring in terms of PPG will probably indicate that he gets a relatively low contract, which he'd probably be worth. Whatever happens though, it's unlikely that his contract affects the FA plans.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Green is more valuable to the Spurs than any other team. He's sort of like a jack of all trades and master of none. He fills a glue guy role. Teams usually don't pay too much money for those type of players.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2 yrs / 4 M

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually, I like that idea and it's probably fair. Make the second year only partially guaranteed. This gives Danny some guaranteed bucks but also allows the Spurs to walk away pretty easily if hes just a flash in the pan. And by the time the contract is up Danny will still be young enough to sign a relatively lucrative deal, assuming he performs to a point deserving of it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually, I like that idea and it's probably fair. Make the second year only partially guaranteed. This gives Danny some guaranteed bucks but also allows the Spurs to walk away pretty easily if hes just a flash in the pan. And by the time the contract is up Danny will still be young enough to sign a relatively lucrative deal, assuming he performs to a point deserving of it.
    No way. 8-9 mil over 3 year, and 3rd year could be TO/PO/partially guaranteed. Spurs will keep a guy who is here almost 2 years, and know the system. Even if it costs 700k-1mil per year more.

NBAChamp..to be Continued SpurNation's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    8-9 mil over 3 year, and 3rd year could be TO/PO/partially guaranteed. Spurs will keep a guy who is here almost 2 years, and know the system. Even if it costs 700k-1mil per year more.
    Probably this only IF Green solidifies himself by the end of this season (playoffs) as a dependable, consistent, established rotation player.

Also,,,got to consider the new cba. Some players on roster this year for teams won't even be a consideration for roster (or get the same money as in the past) heading into the new cba when current contracts expire. Values for players according to their performances and expectations are yet to be determined heading into the new cba.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Green didnt prove him, or even choke badly, Spurs wouldnt want him anyway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Personally i think it will be something like 3y/7.5m at most, making it 2.5m per year.

Thabo Sefolosha, who is en elite defender with an outside shot makes 3.5m a year. Shane Battier gets 3m/year (even though he gave the Heat a discount to chase a ring). Tony Allen also makes 3m/year. And those guys are elite perimeter defenders in the NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Green should be coming off the bench. He deserves nothing more than 1 mil. After that, he's too pricey.

I think he's woth more than just 1 mil esp if matt bonner is makin like 4 mil a season. He plays solid D and is a streaky shooter. I like his energy on the defensive end. If he can keep this up and get into the rotation come playoff time, then he's worth paying.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Green's defense looks better than it actually is, because he's compared to the rest of the defensive players on the Spurs, which are mostly mediocre of worse..

He shows flashes of being a good defender, but he's inconsistent..he's a decent enough team defender, but he's average as a stopper, and he still struggles to get around screens..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Harlem, DMC, Timvp have all consistently sought to minimize Green's impact this entire season.

Funny thing is, the guy is starting on this team, and has averaged more minutes than anyone other than Parker in the last month.

So apparently Popovich doesn't share your "dime a dozen, fringe, one of two dozen" sentiments. Otherwise he wouldn't be on the court (for the 4th best record in the entire league by the way).

Lastly he's a character guy; the franchise thrives on this attribute. Please go ahead and list a player around the league making the same amount that you would want right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Harlem, DMC, Timvp have all consistently sought to minimize Green's impact this entire season.

Funny thing is, the guy is starting on this team, and has averaged more minutes than anyone other than Parker in the last month.

So apparently Popovich doesn't share your "dime a dozen, fringe, one of two dozen" sentiments. Otherwise he wouldn't be on the court (for the 4th best record in the entire league by the way).

Lastly he's a character guy; the franchise thrives on this attribute. Please go ahead and list a player around the league making the same amount that you would want right now.
    So what contract would you give him?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Wow, Green is a starter. I learn something new every day. I've always said good things about him, but in a less zealous, more realistic fashion than you seem to think.
    Roger Mason Jr says o.
    So do you want to discuss salary or attributes?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Personally i think it will be something like 3y/7.5m at most, making it 2.5m per year.

Thabo Sefolosha, who is en elite defender with an outside shot makes 3.5m a year. Shane Battier gets 3m/year (even though he gave the Heat a discount to chase a ring). Tony Allen also makes 3m/year. And those guys are elite perimeter defenders in the NBA.
    good info for contract comparisons elemento

I think the 3 yrs/7.5 mill sounds about right. Green really is nowhere near an elite level perimeter defender in this league yet. The reason he looks so good defensively to many on this board is that he plays hard on that end constantly, but realistically he is still a very flawed defender at times. He can overplay his man and has trouble with screens, but he certainly has the upside, and the environment, to improve enough to become a top defender.

If another teams offers Green anything north of 3 yrs/12 or even 4 yrs/15 mill no way the Spurs match. He is definitely the type of player that could end up looking very, very overpaid is he gets a big contract from a different squad and doesnt continue improving.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Danny Green was playing for Ljubljana some 3 months ago, a team that was quickly eliminated from the Euroleague picture.
    In this environment, Danny Green was OK, but nothing really more.
    He goes to SA, he is given a chance and makes use of it.
    He becomes a part of the rotation once Ginobili gets injured.
    And stays part of the rotation.
    He often, more often than not in fact, ends up being on the court at the end of close games.
    That's really the best indication of whether Pop likes him or not.
    Not whether he starts him. It's who finishes close games not who starts that matters.
    In the meantime, the first round pick Anderson is long forgotten at the end of the bench, and for good cause. In fact, the team does NOT pick up his option.

All this, while in the regular season, which is not the time which matters the most for the Spurs organization (bar Bonner).

At the end, Green will be mostly evaluated in PO games. If he keeps playing like he has, he'll be offered a decent enough contract, anywhere between 2-2,5 M per 2/3 years, and he better grab it, because he is the kind of player that looks better in Pop's organized system than he really is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

+1

I'm actually a little surprised by how much people around here undervalue Green. From what I've seen out of him this season, there's no way we have the record we have now without him. After TD, Duncan and Tiago, Green has been the most important piece imo. He's probably even ahead of Tiago in some aspects because he plays more minutes.

Sure he's streaky and inconsistent, but his effort out there is undeniable. And he brings intangibles that only Manu can top. If you watch Green, he's always making a play on the ball. I believe he's only going to get better. This is his first real season in the league.

I think he's undervalued because he does the things he does with seemingly such little effort.

There's a reason Pop has put him in the starting lineup and it's well deserved at this time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This. I was actually thinking 2ys / 3-4 mil.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Popovich has also liked and started: Keith Bogans, Roger Mason, 40 year old Michael Finley, etc..

Danny Green's shooting percentages have plummeted after a hot start..his 3-point % went from 45 to 37..he's now shooting 40% from the field, after being around 47-48 or so..

His adjusted +/- was around +8, one of the best on the team..it has plummeted to +1..

It appears that he has regressed to the expected norm..he's an 8th or 9th man on a le team, probably..

He has the ability to provide more in certain games, like most other players..his stock will rise if he plays well in the post-season, but as of right now, I'd actually say he's overrated on SpursTalk..

Inthe land of audiophiles angelbelow's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd probably do a 3 year 3 million with a team option for the 3rd. Depending on how good his agent is he might be able to squeeze out a 3 year 5 million dollar contract.

Thread Information