Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On Monday, Will Senators Stand With The 99 Percent Or With Big Oil?

The big five oil companies—BP, Chevron, ConocoPhillips, ExxonMobil, and S —combined made a record-high $137 billion in profits in 2011.

Meanwhile, the oil and gas industry has already contributed over $20 million in federal campaign contributions this election cycle, with 88 percent of all Big Oil contributions going to Republicans.

http://thinkprogress.org/green/2012/...rs-or-big-oil/

===========

iow, the oil division of UCA can finance every Congressperson's and President's campaign out of their petty cash.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure I get your point. These companies have hundreds of billions invested to make that return.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so why do they need accelerated write offs, subsidies, etc, etc?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even with those their profit margins are less than 10%.

GM made a big profit this year...why do you think their write offs and subsidies are OK...just because Obama supports them?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

GM made a big profit this year...why do you think their write offs and subsidies are OK...just because Obama supports them?

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How much profit should the US taxpayer guarantee oil companies, CC?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How much profit should the US taxpayer guarantee oil companies, CC?
    How much profit should the US taxpayers guarantee GM, Bouchump?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How much profit should the US taxpayers guarantee GM, Bouchump?
    I say none. I would have been fine with a more conventional bankruptcy for GM.

Please answer my question now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you support the US giving google a lot of tax breaks and credits when they have a 26% profit margin?

Oh, and to answer YOUR question, I wasn't aware that the US government guaranteed ANY minimum oil company profits...

link?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you support the US giving google a lot of tax breaks and credits when they have a 26% profit margin?
    No.

I'm also against the subsidies Apple is getting from the state, county and city here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I already answered it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Oh, and to answer YOUR question, I wasn't aware that the US government guaranteed ANY minimum oil company profits...

link?
    So your question about GM was bull too.

OK.

Are you in favor of all the oil company subsidies?

Yes or no.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So your question about GM was bull too.

OK.

Are you in favor of all the oil company subsidies?

Yes or no.
    I'm honestly not sure...I don't like the government picking winners and losers for government subsidies either but that is apparently a fact of life. Watching the Democrats try to politicize it and attack the oil companies now is a shallow and transparent attempt at political pandering to the ignorant...trying to spin the debate from Obama's overall anti-oil agenda to blaming high gas prices at the pump on "the evil oil companies" and "punishing" them by taking away their depletion allowance, which they will then immediately recover by adjusting their prices up in order to maintain their current profit levels and just pass the difference back to the consumer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm honestly not sure...I don't like the government picking winners and losers for government subsidies either but that is apparently a fact of life. Watching the Democrats try to politicize it and attack the oil companies now is a shallow and transparent attempt at political pandering to the ignorant...trying to spin the debate from Obama's overall anti-oil agenda to blaming high gas prices at the pump on "the evil oil companies" and "punishing" them by taking away their depletion allowance, which they will then immediately recover by adjusting their prices up in order to maintain their current profit levels and just pass the difference back to the consumer.
    Right, so why subsidize at all?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right, so why subsidize at all?
    Right.

So why are we subsidizing anything?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right.

So why are we subsidizing anything?
    You tell me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Holy .

It looks like we agree on something...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can see something for emerging technologies and the like, though you get the issue of picking winners like you said -- but a mature business like oil extraction seems pretty damn safe on its own right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As someone who is probably about to take advantage of some of those subsidies and put a $60,000 solar array on my roof I guess it sounds hypocritical, but I don't think they should subsidize either.

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The oil subsidies should go, but the republicans will shoot it down like they always do. Democrats don't mind though. They just want their talking point. If the democrats really wanted to get rid of oil subsidies, they'd have done it in 2009-2010 when the republicans were powerless to stop them from doing so. It's all just meaningless political theater.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The oil subsidies should go, but the republicans will shoot it down like they always do. Democrats don't mind though. They just want their talking point. If the democrats really wanted to get rid of oil subsidies, they'd have done it in 2009-2010 when the republicans were powerless to stop them from doing so. It's all just meaningless political theater.
    Yes. Sadly oil companies are the democrats' gays.

Rising above the Fray spursncowboys's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mic e Bachmann was the only one who wants to put all blue chip companies at a flat rate tax. to get them to pay the exact same.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

No one gives a about their profit margin. A completely meaningless metric in this context - probably fed to you by the oil companies to distract from the obvious: that they're making an absolute killing at your expense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mic e Bachmann was the only one who wants to put all blue chip companies at a flat rate tax. to get them to pay the exact same.
    lol Bachmann

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    On Monday, Will Senators Stand With The 99 Percent Or With Big Oil?

The big five oil companies—BP, Chevron, ConocoPhillips, ExxonMobil, and S —combined made a record-high $137 billion in profits in 2011.

Meanwhile, the oil and gas industry has already contributed over $20 million in federal campaign contributions this election cycle, with 88 percent of all Big Oil contributions going to Republicans.

http://thinkprogress.org/green/2012/...rs-or-big-oil/

===========

iow, the oil division of UCA can finance every Congressperson's and President's campaign out of their petty cash.
    Do you realize what thet $137 billion is when you divide it by the number of shares of stock in play?

Do you realize that the $137B in profit was after paying over $100B in taxes already?

Please, by all means. Don't believe me. Look it up yourself instead of repeating propaganda.

Thread Information