Page 4 of 96 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they haven't played any playoff games, how do you know he's making bad coaching mistakes
    Because we've seen enough playoff basketball to know that if your defense isn't good and your frontcourt's a liability you'll probably get ousted sooner or later. TP has been great and our wings are fantastic but our big rotation is still a problem.

That and we've seen Bonner at work during the playoffs. Given his history, relying on him to this extent is just not a sound strategy no matter what the results are. It's a gamble and for the sake of the team I hope it pays off.

The team could somehow take it all but they would be winning in spite of these moves. Pop's a great coach but this decision is making things harder on the team. He's making a mistake or if you prefer he's got a blind spot. It happens to even the best from time to time.

It happens with every fan base. The Laker fans used to be merciless on Phil when he would not call timeouts and let the team "work through it". On and on, even with the best coaches.

Imo, however, we get mixed up between the two. Calling Pop a bad coach because he did not play Splitter and Duncan together enough is absolutely ridiculous. Stating that is not a wise move try this pairing without declaring Pop a horrible coach is I believe a legitimate complaint. Of course we can all question individual decisions, but on the whole, people who think Pop is truly a bad coach are basically divorced from reality, possibly psychotic. (Probably had great success coaching on the YMCA level; so of course its all so clear.)
    Well said. Pop's one of the best in the business imo.

silverblk mystix
    If they haven't played any playoff games, how do you know he's making bad coaching mistakes
    Because he did the exact same thing last season and then he found himself being embarrassed by Lionel Hollins and a team that tanked to play the spurs knowing full well that they could demolish Blair and Bonner.

Pop helped Hollins by continuing with Blair and Bonner until the spurs were in a hole...and all his panicky moves to rectify what he ed up so badly...were not nearly enough and were way too late.

So did he learn anything?

He did the same (so far) this season...and the laker beatdown last week was another slap in the face to this idiot.

So now he goes to L.A ...changes a few things...(sound familiar?) and here we are....

I am happy that everyone can see this...but of course....you Pop supporters will not believe what you have witnessed with your own eyes. Incredible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because he did the exact same thing last season and then he found himself being embarrassed by Lionel Hollins and a team that tanked to play the spurs knowing full well that they could demolish Blair and Bonner.

Pop helped Hollins by continuing with Blair and Bonner until the spurs were in a hole...and all his panicky moves to rectify what he ed up so badly...were not nearly enough and were way too late.

He did the same (so far) this season...and the laker beatdown last week was another slap in the face to this idiot.

So now he goes to L.A ...changes a few things...(sound familiar?) and here we are....

I am happy that everyone can see this...but of course....you Pop supporters will not believe what you have witnessed with your own eyes. Incredible.
    Somebody needs a hug. Here ya go:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Okay... yeah...

Somebody definitely wanted to by bumping this thread up, ehh??

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Perfect. The funny thing is, some of them actually believe it.

silverblk mystix
    Okay... yeah...

Somebody definitely wanted to by bumping this thread up, ehh??

If you pay attention you would notice that someone bumped this to try and call me out...

Unfortunately, for you, Pop did exactly what I had been hoping he would do for two years now...

Don't need to be part of the sheeple crowd and I already said I would be happy to eat if Pop proves me wrong.

I am actually hoping like crazy that Pop plays his best players and the Spurs win the le and I will happily praise Pop and eat publicly .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you pay attention you would notice that someone bumped this to try and call me out...

Unfortunately, for you, Pop did exactly what I had been hoping he would do for two years now...

Don't need to be part of the sheeple crowd and I already said I would be happy to eat if Pop proves me wrong.

I am actually hoping like crazy that Pop plays his best players and the Spurs win the le and I will happily praise Pop and eat publicly .

Oy. Calm down. I have been paying attention. No need to continue to go postal. You'll only continue to feed the ones who are feeding off of you.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

His move to play Splitter might have even probably backfired. Splitter had no familiarity with the other guys and it showed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You ing idiots support a coach who's led a team to the best record in the West 2 years running with an "old" team and a group of "who the ?" players after having won 4 les with this team?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oy. Calm down. I have been paying attention. No need to continue to go postal. You'll only continue to feed the ones who are laughing at you.
    fify

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is true. The fact that pop had to switch to a lineup he never prepares to play against a likely playoffs match-up shows that he hasn't prepared the team for the playoffs.
    The move was also important psychologically. The fact that you have two quality big man backing you up can help your confidence. Think about it another way. It's like going into a battle with a water pistol. You just wouldn't feel that confident.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

WWWAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!! STOPPPPFFFFFFFITTTTTT, Mel!!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His move to play Splitter might have even probably backfired. Splitter had no familiarity with the other guys and it showed.
    I don't know about this.

Splitter was thrown into the fire and had a terrible game offensively but was still able to have enough of an impact that the Laker bigs couldn't take over from tip like they normally do. Plus I saw a fan on one of the other forums say that Splitter's pick and roll was playing a role in disrupting the Laker defense and causing their players to leave some of our shooters open in the first.

If Tim/Tiago is able to compete like that against Bynum/Gasol with Splitter having a really bad game, the ceiling of that frontcourt might be a little bit higher than we first thought. I think both of them are guys who do better when they're able to play with other bigs since it prevents either of them from having to do the heavy lifting as well.

With some chemistry and time to gel they could really build on that element of toughness and "you're not pushing us around"-ness that I saw in that first quarter. Not to mention how much better Tim looked vs. LAL when he wasn't guarding their frontcourt by himself...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

But if he doesn't start splitter and the Spurs lose, you'll be chomping at the bit to spam the board with a large amount of "see I told you so"

....injuries be damned....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chicago's defense makes me cry.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop is the best current coach in the NBA by far, and anyone that doesn't agree is delusional.

If he can't even get the respect he deserves from his own fanbase, where else is he gonna get it? Ridiculous.
    This^

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know about this.

Splitter was thrown into the fire and had a terrible game offensively but was still able to have enough of an impact that the Laker bigs couldn't take over from tip like they normally do. Plus I saw a fan on one of the other forums say that Splitter's pick and roll was playing a role in disrupting the Laker defense and causing their players to leave some of our shooters open in the first.

If Tim/Tiago is able to compete like that against Bynum/Gasol with Splitter having a really bad game, the ceiling of that frontcourt might be a little bit higher than we first thought. I think both of them are guys who do better when they're able to play with other bigs since it prevents either of them from having to do the heavy lifting as well.

With some chemistry and time to gel they could really build on that element of toughness and "you're not pushing us around"-ness that I saw in that first quarter. Not to mention how much better Tim looked vs. LAL when he wasn't guarding their frontcourt by himself...
    Sorry I was talking about the first round last year against the Grizzlies. Splitter is much better aclimated this season. I agree Tiago and Tim could be really good if Pop was committed to it. They're both good defensively and great passers.

silverblk mystix
    But if he doesn't start splitter and the Spurs lose, you'll be chomping at the bit to spam the board with a large amount of "see I told you so"

Well, if my Aunt had a she'd be my uncle...what is your point?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

In that case possibly. But it's not really about winning or losing with me. Sometimes you miss your shots or the other team is just better. My thing is that if the team has to lose I want them to do so with their best players on the floor and giving it their all. When you go away from the formula of playing your best players and instead start taking big risks that way then you had better win it all.

Sorry I was talking about the first round last year against the Grizzlies. Splitter is much better aclimated this season. I agree Tiago and Tim could be really good if Pop was committed to it. They're both good defensively and great passers.
    Ah. Gotcha. In that case I agree with you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, if my Aunt had a she'd be my uncle...what is your point?
    That you'll still be an idiot either way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In that case possibly. But it's not really about winning or losing with me. Sometimes you miss your shots or the other team is just better. My thing is that if the team has to lose I want them to do so with their best players on the floor and giving it their all. When you go away from the formula of playing your best players and instead start taking big risks that way then you had better win it all.
    What makes you think you know better than Pop who the best players on the floor are.

silverblk mystix
    That you'll still be an idiot either way.

lol ...coming from you...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol ...coming from you...
    Rofllll you were so certain I was ChumpDumper

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What makes you think you know better than Pop who the best players on the floor are.
    Pop probably knows that Splitter is one of his best players Blake.

The fact that Pop has gone from using the former Spanish League MVP as a garbage man to running the second unit's offense through him, sending him out there beside Duncan when the going gets tough, and trusting him to anchor that second unit defense in his second year of playing within the system (among other things) tells me that the coach probably recognizes that he's a good player on some level.

In fact, the stuff I've mentioned right there is a list of more responsibilities than Pop has ever shown signs of giving to either Blair or Bonner in their combined years of being here.

It's more likely that he's chosen to prioritize offense first with the starters since Blair is in the line-up and is counting on the bench to blow things open. That's fine during the regular season but in the playoffs you give your stronger players the majority of the minutes. That's why people like myself have been ripping the decision to not play Tim/Tiago together because while they've been looking better I'm not convinced that the offense will be at the level we need it to be in the playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    :Sup?

Thread Information