Page 7 of 96 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man, this thread is still getting bumped? Pop won COY, the debate is over. He is one of the greatest of all time and has earned the right to be head coach of the Spurs as long as he wants, imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You all rag on us haters but at least we know when to give up the props. Meanwhile Pop is probably chewing out someone's asshole right about now over game 4 (probably Neal's).

Translation: You dislike those of us who about having the best coach in the league, but we are wrong about almost everything and eventually, when it's or go blind, we drop a turd.

silverblk mystix
    I have been giving props to Pop and Pop has also been doing what we were screaming for him to do for years. Where's the problem?

All that is left is for Pop to finish the job. If Pop reverts to burying Tiago on the bench and overplaying Bonner the Spurs are still going nowhere.

If Pop continues what got him coach of the year and the Spurs win the le I will continue giving Pop props and eating . Where's the problem?

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have been giving props to Pop and Pop has also been doing what we were screaming for him to do for years. Where's the problem?

All that is left is for Pop to finish the job. If Pop reverts to burying Tiago on the bench and overplaying Bonner the Spurs are still going nowhere.

If Pop continues what got him coach of the year and the Spurs win the le I will continue giving Pop props and eating . Where's the problem?
    You act like you aren't eating .

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So since 2007, you've been wanting:

• Tony Parker to improve to a level where he can run a team
    • The team to shift from a 4-down Tim-oriented inside-out offense to an uptempo Parker-led pick and roll offense that also thrives on the break
    • George Hill traded for Kawhi Leonard, who then gets started as a rookie
    • Danny Green to be starting
    • Steven Jackson to be brought back
    • Boris Diaw to be picked up for the veteran minimum after being cut by Charlotte, and moved into the starting lineup
    • Gary Neal playing backup point guard
    • Tiago Splitter to get an expanded role in his second year with the team as he gets familiar enough with the system

Excellent foresight. I approve.
    Not the specific names but the general concepts yes.

Upgrading the wings, bringing some mental toughness back to the team, giving Tim more support and not making him do everything, getting better role players around the big 3, and (after last year) not burying someone like Tiago on the bench were all obvious needs if the Spurs wanted to be legitimate contenders. Even then I thought a few times yesterday that Splitter's relative lack of court time this season hurt him against Utah's big defenders although he still produced so it hasn't been perfect but there's no question that the Spurs FO did a fantastic job.

If anything, your list shows that Pop and RC did what needed to be done and it's paying off so far. Now that the big rotation is sorted out and the defense has been picking up there's nothing more that needs to be said. Pop deserved to be COY and the Spurs are the best they've been in a long time.

silverblk mystix
    You act like you aren't eating .
    I ate in the ESPN ladies calling out Pop.

More importantly-Pop has not finished the job and the Spurs have not won a le since 2007.

All that matters is the le. Anything less and all the praise and premature ejac won't mean .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have been giving props to Pop....blah, blah, blah, blah,..blah, blahhhhhh, blah, ****. Blah, blah blah. Where's the problem?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I ate in the ESPN ladies calling out Pop.
    You should have agreed with her.

He's still playing Bonner more than Splitter -- in the playoffs. Sure there was the injury, but his playing Bonner at all is verboten in your book.

But you shut your mouth about that because they are winning and Pop got COY and even defended that choice against the mean lady from ESPN.

It's called frontrunning.
    Last edited by ChumpDumper; 05-08-2012 at 06:21 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I drive a 2012 Ford Mustang 5.0 six-speed manual head!

I might just go terrorize the neighborhood and scare the out of women and children after watching this stupid coach get the whole team embarrassed!
    wow your so cool. pop revealed in an interview a few weeks ago that duncan has played center his whole career. notice how the starting center does the jump ball every game? clearly the TD tiago duo hasn't been working.. look at their production together compared to their production on different units... makes a lot of sense when you look at the facts

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not the specific names but the general concepts yes.

Upgrading the wings, bringing some mental toughness back to the team, giving Tim more support and not making him do everything, getting better role players around the big 3, and (after last year) not burying someone like Tiago on the bench were all obvious needs if the Spurs wanted to be legitimate contenders. Even then I thought a few times yesterday that Splitter's relative lack of court time this season hurt him against Utah's big defenders although he still produced so it hasn't been perfect but there's no question that the Spurs FO did a fantastic job.

If anything, your list shows that Pop and RC did what needed to be done and it's paying off so far. Now that the big rotation is sorted out and the defense has been picking up there's nothing more that needs to be said. Pop deserved to be COY and the Spurs are the best they've been in a long time.
    Part of my point was that I don't think we had the roster to do most of what we did until this year. And the front office has been pursuing similar moves --obviously RJ failed to be the 3 we needed, but he was an attempt at one, guys like Hairston, Williams, and Gist were the spiritual forbears to Green and Neal, and guys like Splitter and Diaw are just plain hard to come by.

This was the year when Tony finally showed he could be the guy. This was the year when some of our young players came on and actually made a positive difference. And players earn rotation minutes basically depending on their health and whether they can be relied on -- I could be wrong, but if Pop didn't think Tiago had earned more minutes earlier in the season (which was interrupted by injury), I tend to give him the benefit of the doubt.

So while I'm incredibly impressed with the way the pieces have come together so far for this team, I guess it always seemed like the front office was basically trying to do smart things, but constrained by what was actually possible given the available and potentially available players. There were some legit mistakes -- RJ and Scola immediately come to mind -- but it's always seemed like their average has been improbably high.

silverblk mystix
    You should have agreed with her.

He's still playing Bonner more than Splitter -- in the playoffs. Sure there was the injury, but his playing Bonner at all is verboten in your book.

But you shut your mouth about that because they are winning and Pop got COY and even defended that choice against the mean lady from ESPN.

It's called frontrunning.
    I disagreed with her because Pop has done a great REGULAR SEASON COACHING JOB. COTY is for the regular season.

Bonner may be playing a major role still-but the difference is that Splitter now has a role-instead of being permanently glued to the bench. I can admit that I am also pulling for Bonner to not go into a playoff swoon because it is a fact that Bonner will stay in the rotation. Diaw is a nice option to have because it gives Pop another option over Bonner--these are all good things and things that have helped in not overplaying Bonner. Bonner has been showing heart lately and I will gladly eat and give him props if he can continue this and I hope he does.

The le is still up for grabs and the way Pop is coaching now gives the Spurs a chance. I can admit that and I am hoping and praying and pulling for Pop to continue to coach this way.

Did you prefer it when Bonner played 30 minutes and Splitter got a DNP?

Is that the Coach Pop you prefer?

Any of you Popsuckers that cannot admit that Pop has changed some of his ways this year is a ing liar.

mdumpster---you of all people should be the last person to accuse anyone of frontrunning since you were all up in Pop's nutz when he was overplaying Bonner and giving Tiago DNP's. STFU.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I disagreed with her because Pop has done a great REGULAR SEASON COACHING JOB. COTY is for the regular season.

Bonner may be playing a major role still-but the difference is that Splitter now has a role-instead of being permanently glued to the bench. I can admit that I am also pulling for Bonner to not go into a playoff swoon because it is a fact that Bonner will stay in the rotation. Diaw is a nice option to have because it gives Pop another option over Bonner--these are all good things and things that have helped in not overplaying Bonner. Bonner has been showing heart lately and I will gladly eat and give him props if he can continue this and I hope he does.

The le is still up for grabs and the way Pop is coaching now gives the Spurs a chance. I can admit that and I am hoping and praying and pulling for Pop to continue to coach this way.

Any of you Popsuckers that cannot admit that Pop has changed some of his ways this year is a ing liar.

mdumpster---you of all people should be the last person to accuse anyone of frontrunning since you were all up in Pop's nutz when he was overplaying Bonner and giving Tiago DNP's. STFU.
    lol you realize that's the opposite of frontrunning in this case.

Go drive your car angry like a teenage girl.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Shut up, got

silverblk mystix
    lol

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Part of my point was that I don't think we had the roster to do most of what we did until this year. And the front office has been pursuing similar moves --obviously RJ failed to be the 3 we needed, but he was an attempt at one, guys like Hairston, Williams, and Gist were the spiritual forbears to Green and Neal, and guys like Splitter and Diaw are just plain hard to come by.

This was the year when Tony finally showed he could be the guy. This was the year when some of our young players came on and actually made a positive difference. And players earn rotation minutes basically depending on their health and whether they can be relied on -- I could be wrong, but if Pop didn't think Tiago had earned more minutes earlier in the season (which was interrupted by injury), I tend to give him the benefit of the doubt.

So while I'm incredibly impressed with the way the pieces have come together so far for this team, I guess it always seemed like the front office was basically trying to do smart things, but constrained by what was actually possible given the available and potentially available players. There were some legit mistakes -- RJ and Scola immediately come to mind -- but it's always seemed like their average has been improbably high.
    Quality take. I would more or less agree.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Bonner is a nice to have because of his shooting he can help blow open games. Yet if the other team gameplans against him he becomes much less useful. That's the problem with being one dimensional. The same thing is happening with Novak in NY.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL, this thread is so full of win

I particular LOVE the general concepts that were put in, and just a total disregard in execution.

Guess what, I have some general concepts too. In general, I think the Spurs need to get a player like a young Duncan, another young Ginobili without injury issues, and a young Parker every decade, then add in defensive toughness around the perimeter who can nail three pointers (like a prime Bowen), a defensive post player not unlike Robinson in his prime, and a deep bench that can score in bunches, defend the wing and post, rebound, and generally outplay the other 29 teams' starting five. Just rinse and repeat this every 10 years, and the Spurs will win every single championship for the next 400 years.

It's really a shame that the RC and Pop are so horrible in their jobs that they can't see this. I mean, getting players like that is not that hard, you just have to wish for it.

While we are at it, I have a few concepts to get rich. All I have to do is to predict lottery numbers correctly for every single week, and then read the stock market correctly, and I don't have to worry about money anymore. I can also solve world hunger, it's simple, just get enough food for everyone, and nobody will be hungry anymore.

And it's also easy to cure cancer, you just have to go cure it, and have an accidental discovery of cure for HIV. It's that simple. Those incompetent doctors really screw this thing up bad.

Bob Kelso is an awful man Dr Cox's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last time to bump it i swear, but man what a great post OP!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is my two cents for what it's worth.............

Pop has been so successful as a coach and front office guy that it was hard for him to even entertain trying something new, no matter what. Year after year since 2007 we've had a pretty good team, but Manu somehow gets hurt and we're done. We add minor pieces to the formula but nothing to serious until we get RJ. Pop works with RJ all he can, but realizes after last year that you can't teach mental toughness and he made a mistake not give the younger guys we used to have more minutes to get them ready.

Remember, "Free George Hill" or "Play Tiago!" How about this one, Duncan saying sometimes you gotta put the guys out there and let them sink or swim.

Pop changes his strategy this year win Manu goes down early and instead of us having a wasted year, he let it all hang out. Once the results started to materialize he said, " it, let's try to win this thing!" He made the FO moves and now we stand in the playoffs with a pretty good shot.

The young guys know they have a bit more room for error unlike previous years with Hill and Splitter. The ass kicking by the Lakers was the last piece! Enter Duncan and Splitter! I think he's made a few choices that in hindsight should've BEEN made, but at least he's making them now! He's still a damn good coach though! I mean, they guy was coach sets on the floor during the halftime! Gotta love it!!!

silverblk mystix
    All the Popsuckers that scoffed and tried to ridicule me when I said that Pop is still the biggest obstacle to the Spurs winning a le....

what is the reasoning now?
    Where is the Coach of the year?

Bonner still the first "big" off the bench...

No sight of a TD/Tiago pairing....

Blair...6'7'' starting center ...

Being embarrassed by MIKE BROWN....MIKE IN' BROWN!

McRoberts posterizing Bonner....Pop pulls Bonner...Pop puts Bonner right back in...GENIUS!

No One on the Spurs with any desire...any fire...any balls...and Coach Pop didn't change anything...just kept the same rotation...the same everything....

This is what the Playoffs have in store...and this is exactly what happened last season...

Pop has had two seasons now with Splitter...and in two seasons...he has not been able to "find time" to try and integrate his only two players approaching 7 feet....this is the NBA where being tall is something that can't be taught...on top of that Splitter is not just some "serviceable' "blue collar" role player...he can actually be an asset by his mere presence on the court with his vision, passing, and basketball IQ...but head coach has pissed away two seasons....

This seasons playoffs are just about here and head coach is right on cue to get embarrassed again....

COTY....
    #1) Bonner NOT the first big off the bench- Thanks Pop.

#2) TD/Tiago pairing has been sighted-not often but Pop tried it in the next Spurs/lakers games and wah-lah Spurs win! Thanks Pop.

#3) Blair not starting since that Laker loss. Thanks Pop.

#4) Pop made some changes that he had been criticized for and wasn't embarrassed by Mike Brown. Thanks Pop.

#5) Pop changed starting lineups, rotations, etc-just like we had screamed for. Result: winning streak. Thanks Pop.

Interesting how Pop suddenly saw the light.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    #1) Bonner NOT the first big off the bench- Thanks Pop.
    1. Bonner was the first big off the bench in all 4 playoff games.

2. You really suck at this.

4. Thank Pop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1. Bonner was the first big off the bench in all 4 playoff games.

2. You really suck at this.

4. Thank Pop.
    Is this another one who doesn't watch the games?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Popsuckers? Are they at all related to the sorrow suckers?

"Take my eyes, but not my shirt." -- Aldus Snow

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is this another one who doesn't watch the games?
    Too busy peeling out in his Mustang on his way to pay a female to touch him.

Thread Information