Page 80 of 96 FirstFirst ... 307076777879808182838490 ... LastLast
Results 1,976 to 2,000 of 2398
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rubio - the guy who's been in this league for how many years and still can't shoot the ball
    Fat Gasol - 38 year old fat gasol strikes the fear of god in this America team full of NBA player
    Rudy Fernandez - This guy left the NBA a decade ago
    Willie Hernangomez - Who the is this guy

Serbia - okay I'll admit that team is no joke. Actually I'll look forward to them destroying team USA

France - outside of Gobert, none of those player are relevant
    Yeah. Other than Serbia, this should still be a cakewalk for Team USA. But, hey, this is a Spurs forum. You're going to find people here making up excuses for Pop no matter what.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably true, but tbf the talent advantage is small enough to where years of continuity from some of the other top teams can be the great equalizer. He should still win, given the fact that he's the GOAT coach, but I have a hard time calling it a huge, huge failure when the continuity+the big stars aren't there.

I wouldn't count the USA team out yet just because of this close call though. They're inexperienced and inconsistent. Probably took Turkey lightly. They've been doing it all Summer. Lost scrimmages to the Select Team, then made light work of them in the televised scrimmage. Made light work of Spain and the first game in Australia. Took them lightly the second game.
    The things is many of the other teams are also light of their NBA stars. Not many teams are full strength, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He still has more talent than any other coach on the tournament. If he doesn't win it, it's a big, big failure, tbh.
    You are talking about "individual NBA talent". Which is different than "organized-basketball talent". If the gap in those talents is small, as it is this time, the games become close and can be lost. Plus, there is zero talent in USA bigs, frankly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rubio - the guy who's been in this league for how many years and still can't shoot the ball
    Fat Gasol - 38 year old fat gasol strikes the fear of god in this America team full of NBA player
    Rudy Fernandez - This guy left the NBA a decade ago
    Willie Hernangomez - Who the is this guy

Serbia - okay I'll admit that team is no joke. Actually I'll look forward to them destroying team USA

France - outside of Gobert, none of those player are relevant
    So, you have heard of them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You are talking about "individual NBA talent". Which is different than "organized-basketball talent". If the gap in those talents is small, as it is this time, the games become close and can be lost.
    This is true. Yesterday vs Brazil, Giannis couldn't even beat Bruno but in an NBA game Giannis would kill and score 40 on that guy.
    I still think that Pop will take this team to the Finals and win it all but we have to admit that FIBA basketball games are way different than NBA

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I respect Pop for taking on the challenge of winning the tournament with a bunch of players light on international experience, and in fact, young in general. People are mistaken when they look at the talent alone. Not only are the other teams around the world improving all the time, but they have played together, are more physically mature, and even if they aren't in the NBA, they are only a notch below, which means they belong on the same court. With less time to train and build cohesion and without bring the type of stars that could win this tournament easily under the existing conditions, it takes courage for Pop to stick with this commitment and put his reputation on the line.

If Pop loses, he'll be killed by the history and probably trolled by Trump. But I'll still respect him for not backing out when the superstars did. Pop could have said it's too close to the NBA season and assigned an assistant coach, like Van Gundy, to handle this tournament and then comeback and coach the Olympics with the superstars. So kudos to Pop. If he does win this thing, with the young and inexperienced talent, it will be one of his greater accomplishments.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol blaming Pop for garbage roster and no real stars while the other teams have gotten stronger. His legacy is cemented as GOAT or close to it. Keep sipping on that haterade though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I respect Pop for taking on the challenge of winning the tournament with a bunch of players light on international experience, and in fact, young in general. People are mistaken when they look at the talent alone. Not only are the other teams around the world improving all the time, but they have played together, are more physically mature, and even if they aren't in the NBA, they are only a notch below, which means they belong on the same court. With less time to train and build cohesion and without bring the type of stars that could win this tournament easily under the existing conditions, it takes courage for Pop to stick with this commitment and put his reputation on the line.

If Pop loses, he'll be killed by the history and probably trolled by Trump. But I'll still respect him for not backing out when the superstars did. Pop could have said it's too close to the NBA season and assigned an assistant coach, like Van Gundy, to handle this tournament and then comeback and coach the Olympics with the superstars. So kudos to Pop. If he does win this thing, with the young and inexperienced talent, it will be one of his greater accomplishments.
    This is what the Pop-haters refuse to acknowledge.

Coach K had the advantage of rolling out lineups filled with Hall of Fame talent who had practiced and played together years prior.

Pop has the 2nd youngest team in the tournament comprised of guys who are mostly 2nd or 3rd options on their NBA team, at best. For 95% of the guys, this is their first taste of FIBA basketball and first time playing together. Meanwhile, every team they go against knows this and smells blood in the water.

But if Pop doesn't act like a miracle worker and somehow make Jayson Tatum and Kemba Walker look like Lebron and Kobe, they act like that is some huge mark on his legacy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do or do not all the rest of the original 35 man roster have the ability to join later for the 2020 Olympics?

https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2018/04/mnt-roster-announcment.aspx
    Named to the 2018-20 USA National Team are:
    Harrison Barnes
    (Dallas Mavericks);
    Bradley Beal
    (Washington Wizards);
    Devin Booker
    (Phoenix Suns);
    Jimmy Butler
    (Minnesota Timberwolves);
    Mike Conley Jr.
    (Memphis Grizzlies);
    DeMarcus Cousins
    (New Orleans Pelicans);
    Stephen Curry
    (Golden State Warriors);
    Anthony Davis
    (New Orleans Pelicans);
    DeMar DeRozan
    (Toronto Raptors);
    Andre Drummond
    (Detroit Pistons);
    Kevin Durant
    (Golden State Warriors);
    Paul George
    (Oklahoma City Thunder);
    Eric Gordon
    (Houston Rockets);
    Draymond Green
    (Golden State Warriors);
    Blake Griffin
    (Detroit Pistons);
    James Harden
    (Houston Rockets);
    Tobias Harris
    (Los Angeles Clippers);
    Gordon Hayward
    (Boston Celtics);
    Kyrie Irving
    (Boston Celtics);
    LeBron James
    (Cleveland Cavaliers);
    DeAndre Jordan
    (Los Angeles Clippers);
    Kawhi Leonard
    (San Antonio Spurs);
    Damian Lillard
    (Portland Trail Blazers);
    Kevin Love
    (Cleveland Cavaliers);
    Kyle Lowry
    (Toronto Raptors);
    CJ McCollum
    Khris Middleton
    (Milwaukee Bucks);
    Victor Oladipo
    (Indiana Pacers);
    Chris Paul
    (Houston Rockets);
    Isaiah Thomas
    (Los Angeles Lakers);
    Klay Thompson
    (Golden State Warriors);
    Myles Turner
    (Indiana Pacers);
    Kemba Walker
    (Charlotte Hornets);
    John Wall
    (Washington Wizards); and
    Russell Westbrook
    (Oklahoma City Thunder).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do or do not all the rest of the original 35 man roster have the ability to join later for the 2020 Olympics?

https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2018/04/mnt-roster-announcment.aspx
    Harrison Barnes
    (Dallas Mavericks);
    Bradley Beal
    (Washington Wizards);
    Devin Booker
    (Phoenix Suns);
    Jimmy Butler
    (Minnesota Timberwolves);
    Mike Conley Jr.
    (Memphis Grizzlies);
    DeMarcus Cousins
    (New Orleans Pelicans);
    Stephen Curry
    (Golden State Warriors);
    Anthony Davis
    (New Orleans Pelicans);
    DeMar DeRozan
    (Toronto Raptors);
    Andre Drummond
    (Detroit Pistons);
    Kevin Durant
    (Golden State Warriors);
    Paul George
    (Oklahoma City Thunder);
    Eric Gordon
    (Houston Rockets);
    Draymond Green
    (Golden State Warriors);
    Blake Griffin
    (Detroit Pistons);
    James Harden
    (Houston Rockets);
    Tobias Harris
    (Los Angeles Clippers);
    Gordon Hayward
    (Boston Celtics);
    Kyrie Irving
    (Boston Celtics);
    LeBron James
    (Cleveland Cavaliers);
    DeAndre Jordan
    (Los Angeles Clippers);
    Kawhi Leonard
    (San Antonio Spurs);
    Damian Lillard
    Kevin Love
    (Cleveland Cavaliers);
    Kyle Lowry
    (Toronto Raptors);
    CJ McCollum
    Khris Middleton
    (Milwaukee Bucks);
    Victor Oladipo
    (Indiana Pacers);
    Chris Paul
    (Houston Rockets);
    Isaiah Thomas
    (Los Angeles Lakers);
    Klay Thompson
    (Golden State Warriors);
    Myles Turner
    (Indiana Pacers);
    Kemba Walker
    (Charlotte Hornets);
    John Wall
    (Washington Wizards); and
    Russell Westbrook
    (Oklahoma City Thunder).
    As far as I know, all are still eligible for the Olympics.

The interesting thing will be to see if Pop gives any preferential treatment to guys who decided to perform in the World Cup....which is really just Walker, Turner, Middleton, and Barnes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

okay I'll admit
    outside of Gobert

what about Giannis, you also don't know who he is ?

Let's also not forget that those Euro teams are used to play together in some cases for years, they have talents and also are used to play following FIBA rules and referees... Saying that USA with dat weak roster, training together for 1 month with low experience with FIBA rules should destroy compe ion or it will be a massive failure on Pop is just laughable at this point.

For Pop haters anything is good to fit their agenda I guess... facts don't matter

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Appreciate the response Dex.
    But it's like g.d.it, where in the h is the answer to this?
    I can't find it in the media anywhere.
    Google? Nope.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is what the Pop-haters refuse to acknowledge.

Coach K had the advantage of rolling out lineups filled with Hall of Fame talent who had practiced and played together years prior.

Pop has the 2nd youngest team in the tournament comprised of guys who are mostly 2nd or 3rd options on their NBA team, at best. For 95% of the guys, this is their first taste of FIBA basketball and first time playing together. Meanwhile, every team they go against knows this and smells blood in the water.

But if Pop doesn't act like a miracle worker and somehow make Jayson Tatum and Kemba Walker look like Lebron and Kobe, they act like that is some huge mark on his legacy.
    most of the posters that are doing the pop-bashing in hear no jack- about basketball so it really seems pointless, for me anyway, to engage with them. but it keeps the forum rolling during the off-season, i guess.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the rest are able to join, crazy how many of them are now injured and out (7). 8 with Gordon.
    Truly is a snakebitten injury / change of marketing opportunity plans by would-be players for Pops Oly year 2020.

Bradley Beal
    (Washington Wizards);
    DeMarcus Cousins
    (New Orleans Pelicans);
    Kevin Durant
    (Golden State Warriors);
    Victor Oladipo
    (Indiana Pacers);
    Isaiah Thomas
    (Los Angeles Lakers);
    Klay Thompson
    (Golden State Warriors);
    John Wall
    (Washington Wizards);

and, back but no where near his health at the time of being selected:
    Gordon Hayward (Boston Celtics);

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One would think if the rest can still join, the talking heads media would be referring to this repeatedly when reporting on the loss and OT win games. ("Not to worry, Pop will have many NBA stars to join the team for 2020 in China").

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One would think if the rest can still join, the talking heads media would be referring to this repeatedly when reporting on the loss and OT win games. ("Not to worry, Pop will have many NBA stars to join the team for 2020 in China").
    Well if history is any indication, guys like James, Melo, CP3, Leonard, Aldridge, and Howard all withdrew from consideration for the 2014 World Cup, and all were still in consideration for the 2016 Rio Olympics.

Some played (like Melo), others also withdrew from the Olympics (like James, Aldridge, and Leonard), and some tried out but didn't make the final cut (like Howard).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn though; what coach would've won with these ass clowns?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Phil

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can suck him harder?

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No way. Phil ain't doing without superstars.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can suck him harder?
    Bro, I'm not much of a pop fan; I call him out all the time.

How far do you think a team is getting when Marcus Smart is like second option? He's not even like third option on the Celtics.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bro, I'm not much of a pop fan; I call him out all the time.

How far do you think a team is getting when Marcus Smart is like second option? He's not even like third option on the Celtics.
    Are you talking of a team who had a 27ppg player in Kemba, a 24ppg player in Mitc and a 20ppg player in Middleton? With a bunch of other high level NBA players that Smart is a bench guy who is twice better than any other bench guy of the other team, lol defending Pop losing with a much more talented and deeper team, only a blind sucker couldn't see he was miserably outcoached!

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are you talking of a team who had a 27ppg player in Kemba, a 24ppg player in Mitc and a 20ppg player in Middleton? With a bunch of other high level NBA players that Smart is a bench guy who is twice better than any other bench guy of the other team, lol defending Pop losing with a much more talented and deeper team, only a blind sucker couldn't see he was miserably outcoached!
    Kemba and Mitc are the same inefficient player in an offense only having one ball. Middleton is a spot-up shooter. You're sort of making my point. Pop was dealt a ty hand. I ain't over-defending the dude. I put the blame squarely on him for 2013 Finals, for losing Gm 7 to the Nuggets, etc. He did not have a dominant team by any stretch of the imagination. If players don't duck out for the Olympics and he loses, then that may be a different story.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kemba and Mitc are the same inefficient player in an offense only having one ball. Middleton is a spot-up shooter. You're sort of making my point. Pop was dealt a ty hand. I ain't over-defending the dude. I put the blame squarely on him for 2013 Finals, for losing Gm 7 to the Nuggets, etc. He did not have a dominant team by any stretch of the imagination. If players don't duck out for the Olympics and he loses, then that may be a different story.
    He wasn't playing against an NBA team also, he played against Franch team who was in disadvantage 4 out of 5 position on the floor... USA team was heavy favorite to get this one, Pop ed up it bigtime, always been such a naive and soft coach, he also should have stoped coaching several years ago, right now he's taking Spurs fans as hostages!

Thread Information