Page 96 of 96 FirstFirst ... 46869293949596
Results 2,376 to 2,398 of 2398
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To expand on your point, the additions the Rockettes made to the roster didn't look like they were going to be impactful. Ime seems to have everyone rowing in the same direction in relatively short order.

I'm always happy to call out Popovich, but there is a case to be made that without any assistants who know how to do what Ime did, it's not a surprise that the Spurs are a dumpster fire.
    They haven't been able to keep or acquire good assistants and that's on Pop.

First Messina and Ime left at the same time and didn't even leave to be NBA head coaches. Messina back to Europe and Ime left to be an assistant. Then Hardy left ... To be an assistant.

I used to think assistants were leaving for better opportunities or not joining due to worries of future security.

But now I think it just as likely that the word is out that "you don't want to be with Pop". Maybe that's a personality thing, maybe it's a "no more spark in the eyes" thing where no one wants that stress of an elderly person in that condition.

It was really weird how they couldn't get anyone to be assistant so badly they had to emergency elevate their gleague coach and beg Duncan to mind Pop and he noped out as soon as the season was over.

It was really weird how Pop refused to name a lead assistant and just decided that in cases of ejection that whoever scouted the opponent would be coach.

It was really weird how he hired and repeatedly re-hired Hammon to the point where she has by far the most tenure but wasn't allowed to coach in his absence and he snapped on reporters for asking about making history and responding that it wasn't his job to make history. Hey Pop, if you don't want to have a woman fill in for you as coach, don't repeatedly hire a woman assistant coach!

Now Brett Brown is there, but he might be a guy who can't get hired anywhere anyway.

If Pop can't get good assistants to join him that's his fault.

This would seem like a good gig, elderly coach, superstar prospect, a GM who isn't commanding with an iron fist and could probably be handled by the right coach ... Something might be up

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They haven't been able to keep or acquire good assistants and that's on Pop.

First Messina and Ime left at the same time and didn't even leave to be NBA head coaches. Messina back to Europe and Ime left to be an assistant. Then Hardy left ... To be an assistant.

I used to think assistants were leaving for better opportunities or not joining due to worries of future security.

But now I think it just as likely that the word is out that "you don't want to be with Pop". Maybe that's a personality thing, maybe it's a "no more spark in the eyes" thing where no one wants that stress of an elderly person in that condition.

It was really weird how they couldn't get anyone to be assistant so badly they had to emergency elevate their gleague coach and beg Duncan to mind Pop and he noped out as soon as the season was over.

It was really weird how Pop refused to name a lead assistant and just decided that in cases of ejection that whoever scouted the opponent would be coach.

It was really weird how he hired and repeatedly re-hired Hammon to the point where she has by far the most tenure but wasn't allowed to coach in his absence and he snapped on reporters for asking about making history and responding that it wasn't his job to make history. Hey Pop, if you don't want to have a woman fill in for you as coach, don't repeatedly hire a woman assistant coach!

Now Brett Brown is there, but he might be a guy who can't get hired anywhere anyway.

If Pop can't get good assistants to join him that's his fault.

This would seem like a good gig, elderly coach, superstar prospect, a GM who isn't commanding with an iron fist and could probably be handled by the right coach ... Something might be up
    I think the most rational explanation for a lot of that is that there's no visible future for them on the Spurs. Basically, there's no opportunities for them to move up the ladder as long as Pop is around.

So the deal is more like you get some experience points here, and then better head somewhere else if you actually want to be a head coach.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the most rational explanation for a lot of that is that there's no visible future for them on the Spurs. Basically, there's no opportunities for them to move up the ladder as long as Pop is around.

So the deal is more like you get some experience points here, and then better head somewhere else if you actually want to be a head coach.
    I guess I don't see how every other team situation is better than SA. Maybe the true contenders for being a lead assistant ... But that's only a few teams.

Why would someone be the assistant for Will Hardy when Utah is years away talent wise while Ainge builds the team and Hardy is super young?

Why be the assistant for Spoelstra when he has just as much of a defacto lifetime contract as Pop but is 20+ years younger?

Most coaching situations are going to be under head coaches who aren't on the hot seat and are young men. No one hires elderly coaches anymore.

And in situations where a coach might get blown out, half the time every assistant gets blown out by summer also

Hollinger has talked about how he doesn't think any coaches get fired this year. He might be wrong, but getting a head coach gig via in-season firing might be an even less likely way to get a head job than hoping for a retirement

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The other night Popped told Victor to gather the ball and come down on some lobs where he may be too off balance to convert the straight oop.
    While thats sound info, are they really just NOW discovering that.

1st thing i thought of when i heard 7'4" dude was all the buzz along with legit injury worries.

The blip sounded like this was the 1st time Popped had ever broached the subect with Wemby.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess I don't see how every other team situation is better than SA. Maybe the true contenders for being a lead assistant ... But that's only a few teams.

Why would someone be the assistant for Will Hardy when Utah is years away talent wise while Ainge builds the team and Hardy is super young?

Why be the assistant for Spoelstra when he has just as much of a defacto lifetime contract as Pop but is 20+ years younger?

Most coaching situations are going to be under head coaches who aren't on the hot seat and are young men. No one hires elderly coaches anymore.

And in situations where a coach might get blown out, half the time every assistant gets blown out by summer also

Hollinger has talked about how he doesn't think any coaches get fired this year. He might be wrong, but getting a head coach gig via in-season firing might be an even less likely way to get a head job than hoping for a retirement
    Doesn't have to be that EVERY other team has better opportunities. Just that the Spurs are one where you have no future or could become a stain on your resume. Think any team is scouting Spurs assistants right now?

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    It is also an experience issue, I agree. The point being, it's a roster composition issue. And if we rolled in with this roster, the outcome was predictable. The front office knew that going in, which means they made the bet that Wemby alone isn't enough to win championships and we need more talent. Experience will get you to the play-in and possibly the playoffs. Talent will win you championships. There was a lot of hopium being puffed that the players were magically going to be better than what they are. I think the people who are angry with Pop are really just coming down from their hopium high. It's gonna get worse before it gets better. For both the team and for our hopium addicts.
    They can't be thinking championships. They have to develop Victor, and that's not going to happen with a bunch of players who also need to be developed but that don't have the upside to justify it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doesn't have to be that EVERY other team has better opportunities. Just that the Spurs are one where you have no future or could become a stain on your resume. Think any team is scouting Spurs assistants right now?
    I think the Spurs absolutely get scouted, including coaching and assistants. Especially this season. People will always recognize innovation, discipline, and execution. you can see it all the time when even coaches of bad teams stand out like OKC coach even when they were bad. You could see guys as head coaches in the g-league stand out. Austin had a good up and comer who was snatched to be an assistant for Memphis.

But it's still hard for them to get or keep assistants possibly more than any team in the league without a good excuse. Last year Boston had a terrible assistant program but there was an excuse. Hardy had left, Ime was out right when camp was underway and another assistant quit when passed over for Mezzula. They were able to hire new assistants this off season.

There should be great opportunities with the Spurs. Either the hope for a head gig, or to be Wemby's guy. Assistants who work with Superstars when they're young often get job opps and security for years if they can get a rep as having developed that guy. Gianni's had a guy who was rehired at one point because of working with when younger. People would love to have the story of the assistant who is the key to the Spurs success, and it would be believable. "Pop is the wise teacher, but everyone knows that so-and-so 8s doing the day to day and running the show!"

It's just weird

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Strong disagree. They showed a graphic on the game telecast a week or two ago of the five coaches with the most longevity with their current teams, and number 5 was Taylor Jenkins of Memphis with 5 years there. There are 25 coaches with less than 5 years at their franchise, meaning there are pretty much always opportunities to be had.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the Spurs absolutely get scouted, including coaching and assistants. Especially this season. People will always recognize innovation, discipline, and execution. you can see it all the time when even coaches of bad teams stand out like OKC coach even when they were bad. You could see guys as head coaches in the g-league stand out. Austin had a good up and comer who was snatched to be an assistant for Memphis.

But it's still hard for them to get or keep assistants possibly more than any team in the league without a good excuse. Last year Boston had a terrible assistant program but there was an excuse. Hardy had left, Ime was out right when camp was underway and another assistant quit when passed over for Mezzula. They were able to hire new assistants this off season.

There should be great opportunities with the Spurs. Either the hope for a head gig, or to be Wemby's guy. Assistants who work with Superstars when they're young often get job opps and security for years if they can get a rep as having developed that guy. Gianni's had a guy who was rehired at one point because of working with when younger. People would love to have the story of the assistant who is the key to the Spurs success, and it would be believable. "Pop is the wise teacher, but everyone knows that so-and-so 8s doing the day to day and running the show!"

It's just weird
    Which of those are the Spurs demonstrating thus far?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs differential is even worse than last year's double digit number. Pistons Wiz and Blazers are horrific but San Antonio is three surprising wins over playoff teams from winless. Any other coach not named popovich not get let go with these results... Destroyed every game?

Where's a Popovich to fire Bob Hill when you need him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop just said he's perfectly satisfied with tonight's game

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and "nobody likes to lose"

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just when I thought I couldn't feel any worse about this team

God is Victor going to even give us the seven years LeBron gave Cleveland before walking due to the incompetence of the organization?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We've been eating good these last 9 games tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Victor should leave now honestly. What a loser and finished head coach, tbh. Tim Duncan really held his hand all those years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Christ. The old man’s lost it. The old Pop would’ve been tearing these young guys new assholes after some of these defensive performances tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Pop might be afraid to coach too harshly after Kawhi, LMA, DDR all were unhappy here

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Spoelstra is a good case that illustrates what I'm saying. He was an assistant coach in Miami, and eventually moved up to the head coaching position after Pat Riley stepped down.

I look at somebody like Ime, he left here to be an asst coach in Brooklyn and the Sixers. Eventually, an East coast team (Boston) hired him as a head coach.

Even the odd chance to be an interim coach until season's end is simply more likely to happen somewhere else.

I do agree with you that becoming a head coach is difficult. There's a limited number of open seats at any given time, and teams are not firing coaches like they used to a number of years back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs differential is even worse than last year's double digit number. Pistons Wiz and Blazers are horrific but San Antonio is three surprising wins over playoff teams from winless. Any other coach not named popovich not get let go with these results... Destroyed every game?

Where's a Popovich to fire Bob Hill when you need him.

Apparently Pop is playing 4D chess according to a lot of posters here

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spoelstra is a good case that illustrates what I'm saying. He was an assistant coach in Miami, and eventually moved up to the head coaching position after Pat Riley stepped down.

I look at somebody like Ime, he left here to be an asst coach in Brooklyn and the Sixers. Eventually, an East coast team (Boston) hired him as a head coach.

Even the odd chance to be an interim coach until season's end is simply more likely to happen somewhere else.

I do agree with you that becoming a head coach is difficult. There's a limited number of open seats at any given time, and teams are not firing coaches like they used to a number of years back.
    Graphic on the telecast a week or so showed the top 5 coaches tenure in their current job. Number 5 was Taylor Jenkins at Memphis with 5 years. If there are 25 teams with coaches tenure of less than 5 years, coaches are definitely being fired. , last summer alone two coaches who led their teams to les, Nurse and Bud, and another who took his team to the Finals, Monte, were ALL fired.

Coaches ARE being fired.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Graphic on the telecast a week or so showed the top 5 coaches tenure in their current job. Number 5 was Taylor Jenkins at Memphis with 5 years. If there are 25 teams with coaches tenure of less than 5 years, coaches are definitely being fired. , last summer alone two coaches who led their teams to les, Nurse and Bud, and another who took his team to the Finals, Monte, were ALL fired.

Coaches ARE being fired.
    I'm not saying they're not being fired. But you have 3-4 assistant coaches on each team, plus whatever sized pool of unemployed head coaches.

Even if there would be 4-5 seats open every season, the supply far outpaces the demand.

I just remember teams like Dallas that until they settled with Carlisle, they rotated coaches like crazy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Coaches ARE being fired.
    Not enough of them tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spo is great but he he is bit leaving Miami

Also lol at Popped

Thread Information