San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But about two-thirds of the money went to Republican political consultants, records show, including $91,000 to Bridgett Gregory Nocco, a fundraiser from New Port Richey, and $113,000 to Richard Corcoran, a Republican strategist who went on to oversee House campaigns and serve as Rubio's chief of staff.

Corcoran, now a candidate for a Pasco County state House seat, declined to detail how he earned the $113,000 through 2004, beyond planning and helping implement the 100 Ideas project. Newspaper reports indicate the 100 Ideas project didn't solicit ideas until late 2005.

"I was hired for strategy and the strategy was to have a bold agenda,'' Corcoran said when asked about the committee's spending. "That was my role, and beyond that I cannot address."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rubio's second political committee also paid $3,500 to his mother-in-law's company for rental car services and spent more than $10,000 on "couriers,'' who included Mauricio Giraldo, Jeanette Rubio's cousin; Carlos Fleites, her half-brother; and Orlando Cicilia, Rubio's nephew.

Harris said he did not know why the accountant did not list them as political aides. At 18 and 19 years old, they were unable to rent from a car rental agency, Harris said, so they rented a van from the mother-in-law's freight company to do political work across the state in 2004.

"They were traveling all across Florida going on precinct walks, helping on campaigns and personally delivering checks,'' Harris said, noting that Cicilia is now working as a travel aide on Rubio's Senate campaign.

More than $74,000 in expenses by the committee — about one dollar of every five spent — were never accounted for in papers filed with the IRS. Harris noted these were for expenses under $500 and do not have to be disclosed. He declined to detail them to the Times/Herald.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Floridians for Conservative Leadership in Government shut down in 2005 as Rubio gained access to another source of money for political activities: an American Express card backed by the Florida GOP. Rubio's bills included thousands of dollars in personal expenses, which he says he fully repaid, but the Times/Herald found some he did not cover.

"He's playing fast and loose with the rules,'' said Ben Wilcox of Common Cause Florida, a government watchdog group.

Gov. Crist did not have a credit card but has acknowledged former party chairman Jim Greer picked up some of his expenses on his card.

Rubio has already admitted he used the GOP's credit card to double bill the party and state taxpayers in 2007 for flights from South Florida to Tallahassee. He said he would pay the party back about $3,000 for the flights and consult with his accountant about amending his tax return.

During the 2007 and 2008 legislative sessions, records show Speaker Rubio charged more than $3,700 in meals on his party credit card at the same time he was receiving the state's $126 per day "subsistence" to help cover legislators' food and lodging. Harris said the meal charges were for political purposes, though the speaker's successor typically oversees political activities for House Republicans and lawmakers are not allowed to raise money during session.

Rubio received $10,000 for meals and lodging from the state in 2007 and 2008. Still, the credit card records obtained by the Times/Herald showed Rubio regularly dined out at the party's expense — from a $14.24 bill at Andrew's Capital Grill & Bar, to $184.15 at Masa, an upscale "Asian-fusion'' restaurant.

"It would be entirely inappropriate for Marco to use (taxpayer) money to pay for meals that were political in nature,'' Harris said. "As a general rule, the subsistence payments went to subsidize lodging for Marco and any time he spent money for a political meal he made sure that the party paid for it."

For his last year as speaker, Rubio reported a net worth of less than $8,400, despite earning $69,000 from Florida International University, $45,000 from the state and $300,000 from Broad & Cassell. The father of four had more than $900,000 in debts, including two mortgages on properties in Miami and Tallahassee, a home equity loan and a student loan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rubio's GOP credit card expenses can be found here.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Rubio reported a net worth of less than $8,400, despite earning $69,000 from Florida International University, $45,000 from the state and $300,000 from Broad & Cassell. The father of four had more than $900,000 in debts, including two mortgages on properties in Miami and Tallahassee, a home equity loan and a student loan."

which is OK with Repug (bogus) deficit-hawk extremists, because Rubio wasn't in debt wasting his money poor people, sick, old, disabled, blacks, but on his own Repug self. That kind of debt is OK with Repugs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.thedailyshow.com/

Rubio interview with Jon Stewart. All the good stuff was not aired. Full 3-part interview available. Rubio performed well - the ideological divide is on full display.

Veteran
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    His wife is an attractive lady. Nice.

Thread Information