Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This has nothing to do with Green. Green is restricted. Spurs won't let him go anywhere.

It has everything to do with the Spurs investing in a safety net for their depth on the perimeter going forward, since they will be losing a wing asset (Anderson) in the summer.
    I don't think you can say that about Green until you know what kind of money is being thrown Green's direction. I have no doubt the Spurs would like to keep Green, but they're still going to have a number in their head that they don't want to go over.

A starting SG on a championship contender who shoots 40%+ from 3 and plays D could easily see a full MLE offer thrown his way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Byars has signed a contract that is fully non-guaranteed for next year, Spurs might use him in a trade this summer. For example, there are a good chance Spurs might try to trade Blair this summer. With his low salary, doing a trade won't be easy and packaging him with Byars could help Spurs matching salary.

But yeah, the first reason he was signed is to get an extra body for the last couple of games and take away minutes from Spurs rotation players.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think you can say that about Green until you know what kind of money is being thrown Green's direction. I have no doubt the Spurs would like to keep Green, but they're still going to have a number in their head that they don't want to go over.
    While that may be true, in my head I have an opinion on the matter (time will tell, I could be wrong). I just don't see him going anywhere.

I don't expect a lot of money being thrown Green's direction and at the same time, it's evident Spurs want to keep him around for a while.

3 year-12 million is around his market value-- which the Spurs will be able to afford.

Byars is more about Anderson and investing in insurance for the depth on the perimeter for next year. Not having a 1st round pick this year is another reason to add a player like Byars as well.

Nothing to do with Green, imo. Spurs intend to keep him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whats his measurements? wingspan?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Byars has signed a contract that is fully non-guaranteed for next year, Spurs might use him in a trade this summer. For example, there are a good chance Spurs might try to trade Blair this summer. With his low salary, doing a trade won't be easy and packaging him with Byars could help Spurs matching salary.

But yeah, the first reason he was signed is to get an extra body for the last couple of games and take away minutes from Spurs rotation players.
    They'll probably trade Blair for a late 1st/early 2nd and start the cycle again, as far as having a young, inexpensive big for at least a couple of seasons.

As you know, they'll probably have to choose between Diaw or Lorbek (if Diaw plays well in the playoffs, expect them to re-sign him) and Blair, in a contract year, is not going to settle for being a fifth big, nor should he. As much as many of us criticize him, it's more about the role they've primarily had him in the past two years than anything. He's easily overqualified as a fifth big. So they're going to need a fifth big. They obviously would have done the Jefferson trade either way, but I think part of the reason they probably didn't mind too much giving up their 1st is because they feel they can replace it by trading Blair.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Offseason trade chip?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs are just about to begin a playoff campaign, in which they appear to have a very legitimate chance of winning it all. It seems really odd that they would be giving any of their attention or effort to anything that doesn't directly enhance their chance of winning another championship. But I don't see how Derrick Byars does that.

A trade chip for next season? A possible replacement for Anderson, since they didn't pick up his option? Why bother with either of those things right now?

It worries me that this really does mean that they have bigger concerns about Neal. But there are better Neal replacements out there than Byers, too. The only other thing that makes any sense is to just have another warm body, so they can rest as many regulars as possible ahead of the playoffs. If that's it... yawn. If that's not it,

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1) The Spurs usually coast through most of the season without a full roster and fill those vacant spots before the end of the season with training camp fodder - basically giving them a prolonged job interview. This has been going on for many years now.

2) James Anderson is gone at the end of the season opening a "need" for a deep bench reserve wing. Derrick Byars is possibly the first of several "make good" contracts that the Spurs will offer through training camp in an open compe ion to be their 15th man.

3) The lack of first rounder after the Jefferson trade, and the liklihood of only having the dead last pick this upcoming draft, limits the Spurs' options for acquiring talent through the regular channels.

4) A non-guaranteed contract may help facilitate a future Blair trade this offseason. This probably isn't a driving factor for this decision, but a nice bonus regardless.

5) Signing Byars allows him to soak up minutes during this last back to back and let other players rest. It's the same reason Cory Joseph was recalled earlier today.

This is no way is a result of Gary Neal or any factors from this season other than resting players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fodder for the last two games. Won't play a lick in the playoffs. Maybe a project going forward.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Given Spurs roster structure, the logical move for the 15th spot would have been to add a bigman.

Adding a shooter like Byars could be a sign that Spurs have some concern about Neal which is a bad news.
    Precisely what I was thinking.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By the timing you would think it has to do with some end of the season deadline. Perhaps they want to make sure he's not a free agent this summer?

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While that may be true, in my head I have an opinion on the matter (time will tell, I could be wrong). I just don't see him going anywhere.

I don't expect a lot of money being thrown Green's direction and at the same time, it's evident Spurs want to keep him around for a while.

3 year-12 million is around his market value-- which the Spurs will be able to afford.

Byars is more about Anderson and investing in insurance for the depth on the perimeter for next year. Not having a 1st round pick this year is another reason to add a player like Byars as well.

Nothing to do with Green, imo. Spurs intend to keep him.
    I hope you're right that's all it would take to keep Green, but I have my doubts. Certainly not a discussion that we need to try to "resolve" before the playoffs are done though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    good birthday present:

Marc J. Spears
    Also In All Sports

Derrick Byars got a big 28th Bday present with his NBA arrival by Spurs signing. Congrats to you and wife Melissa. Byars has grinded in the D-League and overseas and was also once cut by the Bulls on the day before the start of the season. The 6-foot-7 swingman averaged 15.2 points and 5.2 rebounds in 25 games for D-League Bakersfield this season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What the ? Comparing him to Neal?

Byars sucks. He was awful in the Greek League. He has no chance in at making the Spurs team.
    He is better than Spanoulis TBH

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What the ? Comparing him to Neal?

Byars sucks. He was awful in the Greek League. He has no chance in at making the Spurs team.
    He's better than Spanoulis. It's you who sucks, sir.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Having another warm body to go in during garbage time is nice to have. Doesn't matter what size he is. Doesn't matter that he was cut from some fourth-rate, pseudo-basketball league.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, the Spurs are a joke. .

Why isn't this troll banned yet?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Byars was literally a SCRUB in Greek League.
    Byars averaged 15+ points per game in Greece. I realize that the average American off the street can average double figures in the Greek league but saying he was a scrub only discredits that league, tbh.

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    Interesting project at one time. Not a bad guy for the Spurs to take a look at for next season possibly.

Out of the World
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is his name pronounced "Buy-Arse"?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Spanoulis is the best player on the European continent.

The whole time V-Span was in Houston, he was down in Montrose with the transves e hookers. Every time he got arrested, he would give out free tickets to get off the hook. Everybody thought he had his own policeman's charity.

Van Gundy didn't like him because he would drink ouzo at halftime and parade around the locker room in Spanx. The team just ignored it, but they were all afraid he'd forget and wear them onto the court.

Everyone knows that the only reason he wanted to go back to Greece is because the U.S. won't allow the import of those giant foot-long gerbils called degu. Greece is the biggest importer, for some reason. Meltdown in 5...4...3...2...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    looks like Byars will play tonight as well, according to Sean and Bill

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Butler signing 2.0

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count