Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The spurs are going to sign Derrick Byars here is some info on him

The 6-foot-7 swingman is showing signs of what made him an NBA Draft pick not all that long ago. His talent has never been put into question, but it seemed in the past he may have been caught up in putting up big numbers in order to stand out. This season, though, he's focused on being a better basketball player ... and it's shown, too, as Bakersfield is 12-6 with him in the starting lineup as the 27-year-old focuses on picking his spots on offense while using his NBA body to play solid defense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for putting up link im still new to spurs talk a bit

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The spurs are going to sign Derrick Byars here is some info on him

The 6-foot-7 swingman is showing signs of what made him an NBA Draft pick not all that long ago. His talent has never been put into question, but it seemed in the past he may have been caught up in putting up big numbers in order to stand out. This season, though, he's focused on being a better basketball player ... and it's shown, too, as Bakersfield is 12-6 with him in the starting lineup as the 27-year-old focuses on picking his spots on offense while using his NBA body to play solid defense.

um why?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess Dice didn't want to come out of retirement...

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Byars experience at playing D-league basketball in Bakersfield gives him unique and important experience for tomorrow night's important game against Golden State.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Given Spurs roster structure, the logical move for the 15th spot would have been to add a bigman.

Adding a shooter like Byars could be a sign that Spurs have some concern about Neal which is a bad news.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not enough time for Byars to be integrated. Reading nothing into it other than they want a scorer to fill the void of Neal against Golden State

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs obviously have gone out of their way to get that last big man

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Byars experience at playing D-league basketball in Bakersfield gives him unique and important experience for tomorrow night's important game against Golden State.
    I wonder if they signed him for less than the cost of a plane ticket and hotel.

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if they signed him for less than the cost of a plane ticket and hotel.
    What does he need a plane ticket for? He's already in Bakersfield. Go Greyhound!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Given Spurs roster structure, the logical move for the 15th spot would have been to add a bigman.

Adding a shooter like Byars could be a sign that Spurs have some concern about Neal which is a bad news.
    Definitely. Specifically, a true five.

I don't think this is about Neal at all. I think this is about Anderson. He's obviously not going to be brought back, so replacing him with a wing, with size, that can shoot, makes sense. I'm not saying Byars is guaranteed a spot on next season's roster my any means, but unless this was strictly to have another body to eat up minutes in these next two games (specifically tomorrow), they'll probably at least have his rights. So they can take a look at him in Summer League and training camp.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Joseph and Byars will play 30+ minutes against Golden State tomorrow. That's all this is.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    WTF is this ? Byars is a total scrub.

He was cut from freaking Panellinios.
    They signed him to keep Bonner out of foul trouble

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Joseph and Byars will play 30+ minutes against Golden State tomorrow. That's all this is.
    The Mills-Joseph-Anderson-Byars-Blair starting lineup tomorrow night will be something to behold.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Maybe. It's odd because Byars was a better player in the past two seasons compared to this one.

If I wanted a shooter, I would have considered Antoine Agudio or Moses Ehambe over Byars this season, but I've seen those guys play more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Mills-Joseph-Anderson-Byars-Blair starting lineup tomorrow night will be something to behold.
    That would be a really intresting game to see how it is played out seeing as how the warriors need to lose that game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Anyway, DesignatedT basically summed up what I was going to say:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wanted the Spurs to sign someone just to play against Golden State so this is good news. Tbh though, I'm not sure I understand going with Byars. He was a good prospect at one point but you'd think they'd go with someone who has played an NBA game before. Even against a tanking Warriors team, Byars probably doesn't help.

I liked the idea of Dawson but maybe that concussion changed the plans. Julian Wright is another guy who probably could have helped for one game ... but they probably didn't want to totally sabotage the Toros since they are in the Finals.

My guess is that Byars agreed to something like a three-year deal with no guarantee so the Spurs decided to roll the dice on him and see what he does in summer league.

If the Spurs were concerned about Neal, I'd think they'd go after a point guard. And if they wanted a replacement shooter, there's better options than a guy who shot 33% from three this season in the D-League.

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who this move is really about is Danny Green.

Green: 6-6 swingman who can defend.
    Byars: 6-7 swingman who allegedly can defend.

Green: free agent who stands a decent chance at being offered some decent bucks
    Byars: d-league no-name who can be had for peanuts

Byars is here on an extended job interview.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That would be a really intresting game to see how it is played out seeing as how the warriors need to lose that game.
    They showed a lot of interest in losing to NO as well. This game tomorrow is going to be ugly.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who this move is really about is Danny Green.

Green: 6-6 swingman who can defend.
    Byars: 6-7 swingman who allegedly can defend.

Green: free agent who stands a decent chance at being offered some decent bucks
    Byars: d-league no-name who can be had for peanuts

Byars is here on an extended job interview.
    This has nothing to do with Green. Green is restricted. Spurs won't let him go anywhere.

It has everything to do with the Spurs investing in a safety net for their depth on the perimeter going forward, since they will be losing a perimeter player (Anderson) in the summer. Factor in this, with the fact that the Spurs don't own a 1st round pick, it was obvious they were going to sign another low-risk gamble going into the summer.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Definitely. Specifically, a true five.

I don't think this is about Neal at all. I think this is about Anderson. He's obviously not going to be brought back, so replacing him with a wing, with size, that can shoot, makes sense. I'm not saying Byars is guaranteed a spot on next season's roster my any means, but unless this was strictly to have another body to eat up minutes in these next two games (specifically tomorrow), they'll probably at least have his rights. So they can take a look at him in Summer League and training camp.
    Exactly.

Thread Information