Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Chillin' like a villain... TampaDude's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People act like we don't have size, but Tim Duncan's 6'11, Tiago Splitter 6'11, and Matt Bonner's 6'10. Add in Diaw who's around the average size for a power forward and we've got decent size. The Lakers are supposed to be a big team, but without Jordan Hill who probably won't be playing much if any they're really not THAT much bigger than us. Size wise Duncan can matchup with Bynum, Splitter can matchup with Gasol, and Bonner is about the same size as Josh McRoberts. That leaves Troy Murphy, but it's not like he's been torching teams all year. I doubt him or McRoberts would put on too much of a show against Diaw who's just a few inches shorter. At the same time Diaw IS probably around 235 and shows decent knowledge about defensive positioning in the post.
    Jordan Hill? He's going to be playing for the California Penal League real soon.

Jamychal & Danny related? Richard Simmons's Avatar
    My Team
    Memphis Grizzlies
    Post Count
    Don't have to be huge to be a decent post defender. Lower body strength is a major factor.
    Hence chuck hayes. Baffles me how blair lacks in such a category though

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So what's the verdict? Does Boris have Kawhi wingspan or T-Rex arms?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't care if he's 6'8 or not. Our team need him back next year, he's solid in every aspect of the game. His stats won't wow you ever but he's one of the guy who does little things to make the team better. He box out, always know where his man is on defense, set solid screen, his positional defense was superb, etc. I could go on and on about this guy.
    He's the ultimate teammate. Watching this guy play, make you wonder how could a guy like Stoudemire get paid more than he is... Number doesn't mean everything in basketball. The Bobcats made a huge mistake letting this guy walk.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Bobcats made a huge mistake letting this guy walk.
    I am not sure about that. Diaw is a great teammate. But if he is your best player you are in trouble. Diaw can become very frustrating when he refuses to force things even if his team need it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am not sure about that. Diaw is a great teammate. But if he is your best player you are in trouble. Diaw can become very frustrating when he refuses to force things even if his team need it.
    Not only that, Paul Silas' philosophy didn't exactly have him buying in.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not only that, Paul Silas' philosophy didn't exactly have him buying in.
    I could buy this somewhat except that even in Phoenix Diaw wasn't the most aggressive of players iirc.

He won't completely mask the mistakes of teammates and he won't carry a team into the playoffs by the sheer force of his skill and willpower, but if you play him with good players he'll make your team better by making smart plays and facilitating for everybody else while holding his own on defense. In that respect I think he's a conduit of sorts.

There's nothing wrong with that and I do believe that every championship contender needs a guy like that on the roster. He's a great addition to our team and everything but I just highly doubt that Paul Silas is the reason why Diaw doesn't like to force things when he's out there. Granted he does look more motivated here so there's that.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's what I was referring to. It is in his nature not to force things and the coach need to realize it. He has his strengths and weaknesses.

unity in diversity
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Diaw is taller than blair, a better passer and overall defender than bonner, and a better outside shooter than Splitter.

Primarily because he compliments Duncan, and because he plays poorly next to Blair, he is perfect as a starter.

However, against really big front lines, giving Splitter more minutes is necessary, regardless of who "starts."

Brazil - So so English xD BRs.Ganso's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Diaw is taller than blair, a better passer and overall defender than bonner, and a better outside shooter than Splitter.

Primarily because he compliments Duncan, and because he plays poorly next to Blair, he is perfect as a starter.

However, against really big front lines, giving Splitter more minutes is necessary, regardless of who "starts."
    good point, agreed!

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Splitter started against the Lakers front line proved to be more useful. On the other hand, Diaw showed that he defended P.Gasol really well and arguably better than splitter did.
    Granted, Splitter is taller than Diaw but his lower body strength is weaker than Diaw and it's so frustrating to see him always has his hands down when Gasol just rise up and shoot over him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So what's the verdict? Does Boris have Kawhi wingspan or T-Rex arms?
    Swishscout.com has a decent piece on this. You have Kawhi checking in at #3 on their list for freakish wingspans, 7'3". Blair #9 at 7'2". I think Blair could improve by learning to more effectively use that, than crazy running layups and the like.

Back to Boris, pretty sure we are getting a barefoot height on him. That means he is as tall as plenty of players listed at 6'10" in shoes, the standard NBA method of reporting height.

What is hard to come by for Boris are any measurements on wingspan and standing reach. I have some anecdotal evidence that Boris may have a 7'1" wingspan which sounds believable. That would place him on the high end of "above average." If he measured 7'4" as I first guessed, that would place him in the "Freakish" category, top 10 or so in the league.

However, I heard Rondo is 6'1" with a 6'10" wingspan. If true, that would give him the le of most freakish wingspan in the league. The couple guys ahead of Kawhi are nobodies, Maxiell and Biyombo.

So we can see why Diaw is plenty tall enough to play power forward effectively, though actual measurements are not officially out there. Also we have a lot of guys out there with similar missing data, but Swishscout gives us a better idea of what is average and above.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's a pic in the MySA article recently showing Duncan, Splitter, and Jack, in close proximity. From that pic, Tiago seems a bit taller than TD, atleast by an inch, and Jack looks like a legit 6'8" guy (which makes TD @ ~6'11" and Tiago @7' tall peeps).

So, how was Boris compared to those guys relatively ?

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    I was trying to look him up on DX, and he was never measured at any NBA pre-draft camp. Wonder if the Spurs were trying to hide him...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually I think Splitter is 6-10 and Duncan 6-11. Pau Gasol is noticeably taller than Splitter, not so much Duncan I always thought. Maybe Tiago just slouches. Those are my barefoot height estimates, add at least an inch for shoes if not 1.5.

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Actually I think Splitter is 6-10 and Duncan 6-11. Pau Gasol is noticeably taller than Splitter, not so much Duncan I always thought. Maybe Tiago just slouches. Those are my barefoot height estimates, add at least an inch for shoes if not 1.5.
    Splitter doesn't stand up straight. He's taller than Duncan on the few occasions where he does.

Pau 7'0"
    TS 6'11"
    TD 6'10"

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Splitter doesn't stand up straight. He's taller than Duncan on the few occasions where he does.

Pau 7'0"
    TS 6'11"
    TD 6'10"
    I think TD's taller than Bonner though...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IIRC, Splitter was measured at 6'11"1/2 few years ago.

Regarding Diaw, he should be around 6'9". He isn't a big PF but he isn't really undersized for that spot. He can do a decent job against biggest player. In hsi Phoenix period, eh even has some success defending Yao.

Last year, Spurs were a small team especially on the perimeter. This year, this isn't the case. Spurs have good size at every spot.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What I notice is that Splitter's wingspan is really short compare to other players on our team.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    According to the predraft measurements Splitter is 6'10.25" barefoot and Duncan is 6'11". That jibes with what my eyes tell me on the court, but possible Splitter may have grew since 2004 and the aforementioned slouching. I think Duncan slouches a bit too though.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-...0&pos=0&sort=1

Also no issue with short arms on Tiago, with a 7'2" wingspan and Duncan supposedly an inch or two longer than that.

Just saying it appears to me Duncan is the "bigger" big man. 6-11 barefoot is no joke, and of course it helps when the basketball is like a grapefruit in your hand.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bonner by the way is listed at 6-8.5", the 6'10" is a height in shoes. Also his wingspan is poor, at 6-8.75". A decent wingspan needs to be several inches more than a players' height. Now we see why Diaw can play big at 6'8". Look at Elton Brand, 6-8.25", freakish 7-5.5" wingspan.

As far as Splitter, with a 32' vertical there is no lack of athleticism, I think he is injury prone so he does not want to play as far above the rim as he could, sort of like Duncan. Remember when D Rob pulled his back on an alley oop dunk and was never quite the same afterwards.

Also we have two of the players with the most freakish wingspans in the league, Leonard/Blair. That would make Tiago appear to have shorter arms when he is in fact more in the normal range.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bonner is 6'10 with T-Rex arms. If you factor that in he's more like 6'8.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bonner is 6'10 with T-Rex arms. If you factor that in he's more like 6'8.

Kevin Willis does not appreciate his description being used on other players..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bonner by the way is listed at 6-8.5", the 6'10" is a height in shoes. Also his wingspan is poor, at 6-8.75". A decent wingspan needs to be several inches more than a players' height. Now we see why Diaw can play big at 6'8". Look at Elton Brand, 6-8.25", freakish 7-5.5" wingspan.

As far as Splitter, with a 32' vertical there is no lack of athleticism, I think he is injury prone so he does not want to play as far above the rim as he could, sort of like Duncan. Remember when D Rob pulled his back on an alley oop dunk and was never quite the same afterwards.

Also we have two of the players with the most freakish wingspans in the league, Leonard/Blair. That would make Tiago appear to have shorter arms when he is in fact more in the normal range.
    Blair's armspan = 7'2
    RJ's armspan= 7'0

I believe there are more players who have entered the NBA with armspans > than actual ht who have failed on the NBA level. Does the extra armspan help, I believe it does, but without motivation and heart to play at the NBA level it does absolutly nothing for majority of players in my opinion. Oh, I listed Blairs armspan cause so many posters seem to think that his armspan would compensate for his lack of ht, I think this conversations is now finally over...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where does Bonner get the t-rex arm ? I only ever see/hear that on ST. I agree he runs kind of funny but his arms are the normal size for a 6'10 dude.

Thread Information