My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't see this LA Times article posted anywhere.

It's Spurs-related because the whole flap between the Clips' announcer (legendary Ralph Lawler) and the Memphis fishwrap was started by Lawler's innocuous comment that Memphis' playoff win over the Spurs last year was a bit of "a fluke."

Lawler has always stuck up for the Spurs and admired their basketball operation in his commentaries . . .

A Night To Remember In Memphis For Ralph Lawler and Clippers

By T.J. Simers

MEMPHIS, Tenn -- Imagine waking up here Monday morning and realizing you really are a loser.

And now everyone in the country who watches TNT or ESPN knows you're a loser, your team built on grit, grind and "Believe Memphis," but rolling over like a submissive dog when pressured.

I was a Memphian. I worked in this Mid-South sweatbox 32 years ago, never returning until forced to do so now. But I can tell you after all these years the place still smells like no one showers.

Elvis is buried here forever and I cannot imagine how upset he must be.

The city's highlight is Beale Street, a rundown slab of bars with police running a wand over anyone wanting to enter the area Saturday night. It's a nice reminder to folks coming downtown that not everyone is likely to make it home safe.

As nasty as this place can be, it shouldn't have been a surprise to read what was in the local paper, the Commercial Appeal.

The name of the shopper is an inside joke on the locals because there is nothing appealing about it. I'm already way ahead of you: I worked there, so I fit right in.

This weekend the shopper greeted the arrival of the Clippers by belittling broadcaster Ralph Lawler in the hopes of firing up the Grizzlies' faithful.

I've never understood why a sportswriter would trash a city just because it's matched against L.A.; just another inside joke that will fly over the head of Memphians.

But who picks on a 74-year-old broadcaster who has dedicated his life to making the very best out of what is usually a very bad basketball experience?

The columnist here did just that, calling out Lawler and sidekick Mike Smith because they called Memphis' first-round playoff win over the Spurs a year ago a fluke.

"Which makes Lawler and Smith both arrogant and dumb," wrote the columnist.

Here's Lawler, a pro's pro and an upbeat soul who has had to sit through more than 2,500 Clippers games. It's been his life's work, more than 30 years now and deserving of Hall of Fame consideration as he's about to broadcast only his 26th Clippers playoff game.

How excited must he be to read he's considered both dumb and arrogant.

Beyond being irresponsible, it's just plain cruel, the writer going amateur in his zeal to stir the pot.

"They're the perfectly insufferable spokesmen for a perfectly insufferable team," the guy writes of Lawler, Smith and the Clippers.

Right away I check whether Lawler agrees Smith is insufferable.

"I wouldn't argue," he says, as usual his humor a reminder he's never failed to keep things in perspective while sentenced to hard time as a Clippers announcer.

But I would argue anyone who writes such things about Lawler without ever meeting him before Sunday night is dumb.

And as the playoffs begin and as irony goes, the shopper guy is writing from the Don Poier Media Center in the FedExForum.

A plaque just outside the media room door pays tribute to Poier, the voice of the Grizzlies who passed away in 2005 after 10 dedicated years on the job.

Imagine how much more Memphians might have loved the guy had he been allowed to be on the job like Lawler -- three times as long.

And so imagine what a Clippers playoff win might mean to Lawler. He's seen only 11 in his career, but right from the start here Sunday night they are getting clobbered.

"I'm thinking it's over and it's the first quarter," Lawler says.

But then usually by now Lawler's season is over. "And I'm home chasing the wife around the bedroom," he says with a grin.

Just his luck. "She's not as fast as she used to be," he says, but now he's working overtime and getting nothing in return from the Clippers.

With a little more than eight minutes to go, the Clippers are down by 24, "and a team doesn't come back in a preseason game down by 24, let alone a playoff game," Lawler says.

But the Clippers do. They are making history with Lawler providing the commentary. They rally from a 27-point deficit to win.

And Lawler's wife, who is sitting in the stands with the team doctor, finds her husband and hugs him.

"She loves the game so much and she's so excited and I'm just glad the team doctor is there," Lawler says later. "I thought she might need him."

It's Clippers bedlam, and how often has anyone been able to write those words?

"The single most momentous moment in franchise history," Lawler proclaims. "I'll be talking about this one when they start shoveling dirt on me: 'Hey, wait a minute, folks, let me tell you about that night back in 2012.' "

He tells his producer to get him a video copy of the fourth quarter so that he might treasure it forever.

Back at the team hotel after the game, Clippers players, coaches and staff and the Lawlers meet in a restaurant to replay something they still cannot believe really happened.

"The guys are just pinching themselves," says Lawler, no one wanting to leave and it's almost 3 in the morning. "I'm hugging Chris Paul's mother and it's just so cool.''

For a second, he concedes, he gives a thought to the Memphis columnist who has labeled him dumb and arrogant. He wonders how his night might be going, he says, but then Lawler is feeling too good to really care.

"The whole thing is just so surreal for anyone who is there," he says. "I woke up and I had to go find a newspaper in the morning just to confirm it really happened."

It's just the first game of the playoffs, the 12th Clippers playoff win for Lawler, and he's saying, "Our absolute goal now has to be not to come back here."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...age=1&tw_p=twt

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A Memphian... methinks thats an amphibian.

Somewhat of a fluke...
    I think they just beat us.
    Ginobili hurt did not help, but honestly they just beat us.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It wasn't a fluke tho. It's as dumb as talking about asterisk championship.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The truth must hurt

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Players have fluke games. Teams don't. Memphis beat the San Antonio Spurs last year in a best of seven series. Whether it be an injury to Manu, bad officiating, whatever it may be, the Spurs were beat.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Articles like these make it hard to hate the Clippers. If only the refs didn't carry them half the time and half the fanbase wasn't all bandwagoners...

I disagree, though, last year was no fluke. They were deadly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ralph Lawler s on Memphis, tbh.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It wasn't a fluke, but it was a bit of a fluke.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sometimes, I get so used to reading the formatting on the LA Times' site itself that I forget how annoying it is that each paragraph is only a single sentence.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Memphis guy is dumb to address the comment made by Lalwer like a teenage girl on her period. Brings more attention to the matter then it would've ever gotten.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sometimes, I get so used to reading the formatting on the LA Times' site itself that I forget how annoying it is that each paragraph is only a single sentence.
    The late great Jim Murray started that trend.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not a fluke. Spurs stumbled into the postseason looking worse than they did to start the year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Memphis/Vancouver Grizzlies have been in the league 17 years.

In that time, they have won exactly one playoff series -- as the Number 8 seed against the Number 1 seed.

You're right, it wasn't a fluke.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    beat the spurs in 7 this year it was not a fluke

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Memphis was playing better basketball than the Spurs were at the end of last season. They played better than the Spurs in the First Round in 2011 and deserved to win that series.

What is remarkable to me, though, is how Memphis has collectively decided that winning what was a close series was tantamount to domination.

Arguably (or, maybe, inarguably) the series turned on Memphis stealing Game 1 in SA; that result was pretty fluky -- at least historically -- given that the Grizzlies are 2-15 in San Antonio since the start of the 2005-06 season, including 1-4 in the 2010-11 season and playoffs and 0-2 this season.

Also, the Grizzlies took Games 1 and 3 on huge three-point shots in the last 45 seconds of each game. It's to their credit, undoubtedly, that their guys made those shots; but needing those shots to win half of the games in the series is hardly the earmark of a dominant performance.

I suppose that if you lack any other successes to measure that one against, it probably feels like domination -- even if nothing else would suggest that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh, and calling Ralph Lawler arrogant seems patently ridiculous to me.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fuk they team clown

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For some odd reason I read Lawler as being Culburn. Mostly this part:

But then usually by now Lawler's season is over. "And I'm home chasing the wife around the bedroom," he says with a grin.

Just his luck. "She's not as fast as she used to be," he says, but now he's working overtime and getting nothing in return from the Clippers.

With a little more than eight minutes to go, the Clippers are down by 24, "and a team doesn't come back in a preseason game down by 24, let alone a playoff game," Lawler says.

But the Clippers do. They are making history with Lawler providing the commentary. They rally from a 27-point deficit to win.

And Lawler's wife, who is sitting in the stands with the team doctor, finds her husband and hugs him.

"She loves the game so much and she's so excited and I'm just glad the team doctor is there," Lawler says later. "I thought she might need him."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    beat the spurs in 7 this year it was not a fluke
    Not true, different year and different teams... Not related.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh me, oh my!!!

Thread Information