Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its not really his place to determine. One would hope that doctors, die ians and other relevant parties would be consulted and have a hand in making such determinations.
    have there been any to set junk food parameters?

I would contend that everything on this list falls in the tax category. http://www.acaloriecounter.com/fast-food.php
    Hamburger is on that list.

It took all of 5 seconds to destroy your lazy contention

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "doctors, die ians"

doctors are famously totally untrained in nutrition

trained die ians and nutritionists are pretty useless, since they advocate the official, conventional BigFood crap, like S.A.D. and USDA "food plate"/pyramid silliness.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 05-11-2012 at 11:44 AM.

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    K, then what's the cut off?
    Somewhere between 0 cal / 0g fat and 999 cal / 49g fat.

I don't think you thought your junk food tax plan out very far past the word ”junk”
    Correct. It's a concept. Apparently one too abstract for your liking. Oh well.

Banned
    My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    First of all. American food is of poor quality & has tons of mixed in to keep food ''fresh'' longer

Secondly, Americans don't walk/move enough

Thirdly, Americans are not properly taught to eat (vegetables) growing up

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the "low-fat" / "low cholesterol" multi-decade bull hasn't stopped or even dented the obesity crisis.

low cholesterol people are at elevated risk for cancer, millions of high cholesterol people have no heart disease. so now what?

cholestorol marketing is a BigPharma/doctor scam.

the low-fat talisman is bull , since the real culprit is carbs not fat.
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 05-11-2012 at 12:29 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think you thought your junk food tax plan out very far past the word ”junk”
    That's a shame. When you bragged about proposing a junk tax, I was hoping for something fresh.

I've tried to come up with one that works myself.

No luck.

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's a shame. When you bragged about proposing a junk tax, I was hoping for something fresh.

I've tried to come up with one that works myself.

No luck.
    I'm sure you have. I'm also sure the board appreciates you refraining from suggesting anything until you've got all the details worked out.

Banned
    My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    American Life: ty food, superficial life in front of the television & disconnected from reality constantly on their phones

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm sure you have. I'm also sure the board appreciates you refraining from suggesting anything until you've got all the details worked out.
    That didn't stop you from posting your suggestion.

For me personally, I don't really care what the board appreciates.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    have there been any to set junk food parameters?

Hamburger is on that list.

It took all of 5 seconds to destroy your lazy contention
    Only you didn't destory it, you spent five seconds and decided that you did not agree with it without providing any basis for your opinion. Good for you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only you didn't destory it, you spent five seconds and decided that you did not agree with it without providing any basis for your opinion. Good for you.
    the ingredients of a regular hamburger at Mcdonalds are bread, beef, ketchup and onions.

Which of those ingredients is unhealthy junk that deserves excess taxation, counselor?

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That didn't stop you from posting your suggestion.
    Why would it? I'm not the one who thinks you shouldn't toss out an idea without having every last detail worked out.

For me personally, I don't really care what the board appreciates.
    Ok.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would it? I'm not the one who thinks you shouldn't toss out an idea without having every last detail worked out.
    I'm not the one who thinks that either.

In fact, the more silly ideas you throw out and get defensive and butthurt about when questioned, the better, imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great take! Obesity is so much more of a quan y of food issue than it is a quality of food issue. We as a society just consume WAY more calories than needed for our level of activity, which progressively declines with each generation. Has anyone tried places like My Fit Foods, Nutrisystem, etc? You are eating a bunch of crap really but because you limit your portions and caloric intake per day, you lose weight doing it. And you don't give up the short-term gratifications of eating unhealthy food either.

I'm guessing most Americans are in the 2500-3000 a day calories consumed range when based on their caloric expenditure they should be in the 1800-2300 range...

BTW, it is actually better to eat 3-4 times a day than 1-2, but eat smaller portions. If you only eat 1-2 times a day but have really big meals, your metabolism is slower than if you eat more often but are spreading the calories out throughout the day. It's easier to ac ulate undesirable body fat from only eating 1-2 X a day because your body will raid its own lean muscle mass for energy more often than if you spread your meals out.
    This is true for me. It is rare that I eat processed food, or eat out. I eat a cooked dinner with veggies 6 times out of the week. I eat healthy cereal (special K or kashi go lean crunch) for breakfast. For lunch I usually eat sandwiches and fruit. I still fluctuate between 220 and 230. I have started (in mid march) to ride a bike at least once a week (school/work/family doesn't allow for much more), and can now ride about 15 miles at once doing about 12 mph on a mountain bike (but annoyingly still get out of breath going up more than one flight of stairs). All of this to say, my issue is portion size. I am not perfect and the above explained diet isn't followed 100% of the time, but more like 80-85% of the time, however no matter how good I eat, I like to eat. I like big portions, not only of meat and pasta, but also of broccoli and green beans. I think that once I can kill that, I will see a major change in weight.

When, though, will I be able to breath after taking more than 5 steps, THAT ing sucks. I quit smoking over a year ago, and I have ridiculously mild asthma (so mild that I haven't owned an inhaler for about a decade and I never used it). I figured once I could ride 15 freaking miles that my cardio-vascular system would catch up a little.

Edit: I am not totally out of breath, but it is enough to notice, it ing sucks and I am tired of it. I am 5'10'' and barrel chested, so it is not like I am some complete slug.
    Last edited by Drachen; 05-11-2012 at 02:16 PM.

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not the one who thinks that either.
    Good to hear.

In fact, the more silly ideas you throw out and get defensive and butthurt about when questioned, the better, imo.
    I agree. Silly ideas and silly questions make this forum a better place.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I agree. Silly ideas and silly questions make this forum a better place.
    Whatever makes it enjoyable for you.

Watching people get defensive and butthurt over their silly questions is more entertaining than the questions themselves, imo.

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Precisely why I didn't feel your questions deserved a serious response. I didn't think you were interested in actually having a conversation about the topic. Looks like I was right.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I dont wanna talk to you either, CG.

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I dont wanna talk to you either, CG.
    You're butthurt. GFY!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Precisely why I didn't feel your questions deserved a serious response. I didn't think you were interested in actually having a conversation about the topic. Looks like I was right.
    it's duly noted that you're not serious about a fast food tax, even though you've brought it up now on several different occasions.

I'll just go straight into making fun of your silly idea the next time you bring it up.

Keep making this forum a better place.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My routine rocks. It's easy and inexpensive. I'm 30 years old, 6'2 185 pounds and in the best shape I've been in since I was 19 years old.

Exercise:
    Weight/Strength training with 20 minutes of light cardio three/four times per week.
    Run four miles two times per week.
    Walk around the block daily at work during lunch.

Diet:
    Breakfast is oatmeal, piece of fruit and a protein shake. Lean meats and vegetables for lunch and dinner. Snack on almonds and fruit while at work.

Difference-makers:
    I don't drink sodas/sweet tea/sugar-based drinks. I don't eat any fast food at all. I cut television out of my life. When you cut out tv, you'd be surprised how time you have to exercise, cook and rest properly.

After a year of doing this, my food bills are down, my dentist bills are down, my doctor is happy with me and the women are flocking like salmon of capistrano.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is true for me. It is rare that I eat processed food, or eat out. I eat a cooked dinner with veggies 6 times out of the week. I eat healthy cereal (special K or kashi go lean crunch) for breakfast. For lunch I usually eat sandwiches and fruit. I still fluctuate between 220 and 230. I have started (in mid march) to ride a bike at least once a week (school/work/family doesn't allow for much more), and can now ride about 15 miles at once doing about 12 mph on a mountain bike (but annoyingly still get out of breath going up more than one flight of stairs). All of this to say, my issue is portion size. I am not perfect and the above explained diet isn't followed 100% of the time, but more like 80-85% of the time, however no matter how good I eat, I like to eat. I like big portions, not only of meat and pasta, but also of broccoli and green beans. I think that once I can kill that, I will see a major change in weight.

When, though, will I be able to breath after taking more than 5 steps, THAT ing sucks. I quit smoking over a year ago, and I have ridiculously mild asthma (so mild that I haven't owned an inhaler for about a decade and I never used it). I figured once I could ride 15 freaking miles that my cardio-vascular system would catch up a little.

Edit: I am not totally out of breath, but it is enough to notice, it ing sucks and I am tired of it. I am 5'10'' and barrel chested, so it is not like I am some complete slug.
    Stairs are an entirely different animal from riding a bike, sir. Sounds like you are doing pretty well. I rode 30 miles this morning, myself but I am divorced and share custody, work at home, and do not have school. Kudos on getting outside on the bike, it is definitely more effective than a machine in my experience. I generally ride 85-110 miles a week depending on the weather, but I am still around 225 myself. I do enjoy my beer, so I will eventually plateau in my weight loss, but that is fine with me for now. I have lost 40 pounds in the last 3 years, 10 of those since Christmas which is about when I upped my weekly mileage from around 65-70 to its current rate around then.

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's duly noted that you're not serious about a fast food tax, even though you've brought it up now on several different occasions.

I'll just go straight into making fun of your silly idea the next time you bring it up.

Keep making this forum a better place.
    Hmm. So me not taking your questions seriously means I can't be serious about a junk food tax? Well, I can't say that I think most people of average intelligence or better would have connected those dots in the manner you have, but far be it from me try and tell you what to think.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I bet fast food companies would either just lower their prices or introduce paid memberships offering a card that deducts the amount of tax on your total. Not a bad idea, but impossible to enforce effectively.

Thread Information