Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://bleacherreport.com/tb/bgFzK?u...-antonio-spurs

Portland forward Nicolas Batum is interested in considering playing for the Spurs next season, among all of his options if he leaves the Trail Blazers.

Batum told the French-language basketball website Basketsession.com (Hat Tip: Project Spurs.com) that he is considering a wealth of opportunities should he leave Portland.

“San Antonio is an option for me,” Batum told BasketSession. “There are 30 teams in the NBA so I’ll watch and see what can be the best. But San Antonio is clear that it could be something pretty. I do not want to leave Portland, but I’ll watch what is best for me.

“If I can not find a better situation, I’ll stay in Portland but if I find better place elsewhere, I would go. The market will open on July 1, so I really have time to take my time to watch all this. I have 10 teams in mind, but I’ll see.”

Obviously Batum would be a natural to join his teammates with the French National team Tony Parker and Boris Diaw with the Spurs. He posted career-best averages of 13.9 points and 4.6 rebounds during the 2011-12 season with Portland, where he was known for his athleticism and his defense.

But he’s likely to command a big contract. The Spurs are already deep at small forward, although Batum, who turns 24 in December, would give them a talented young player to help continue to turn the roster over.

It will be interesting to see if Batum really would consider coming to San Antonio.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He may consider San Antonio but our cap space situation says no thanks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs' only hope is if Batum signs the one-year qualifying offer with Portland this summer and then signs with the Spurs as a UFA in '13.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    why would they possibly be interested? They've got Leonard and Green who are both cheaper and better.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    blecherreprt

Less is More
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    were deep at SG/SF now but in 2/3 years we wont be
    we all know ginobili is made of glass and is likely to probably miss half of every season from rest/injuries from now on
    danny might leave the team this year
    gary might leave next year
    and james will leave this year

it still would be overload to have him for 1 year but it would be good for the longterm
    ive heard hes gonna get paid though so its not like it matters
    would like to see him come here just so we could give the finger to portland again

I Make Love To Pressure MR.SILVER&BLack's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this again? cant happen till 2013.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All we gotta do is sign Noah and Beaubois and we have the French national team....

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only if he'll take the MLE and Portland doesn't match. In other words, impossible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This quote comes from a TV show where Batum was invited:
    http://video.lequipe.fr/video/basket...g=44e7314565fs

Batum only brings Spurs name because the journalist ask him specifically about them. Batum was then quite noncommittal by saying he would look at his option and Spurs would be an interesting one. This article sounds like Batum is letting Spurs know he would like to join them but it isn't the case at all.

I'm also not sure Batum deserves to get the $8M or $10M per year he should receive this summer. If Spurs really want to add a french SF, I would rather give Charles Kahudi a try for the minmimum salary. He isn't a good player but he has a true upside as a role player. Bringing back Gelabale or Diawara to the NBA could be worth the try too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    [gnsf]What about a sign-and-trade for Jax?[/gnsf]

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've been waiting that post too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Funny that you mentioned that...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm also not sure Batum deserves to get the $8M or $10M per year he should receive this summer. If Spurs really want to add a french SF, I would rather give Charles Kahudi a try for the minmimum salary. He isn't a good player but he has a true upside as a role player. Bringing back Gelabale or Diawara to the NBA could be worth the try too.
    Great points but what about Green? Don't you think he may get close to 8M this summer? If I understood correctly (please correct me if I'm wrong) Green is restricted but there's no limit to the offers he can get unlike Lin, right?

If there's a position worth doubling with a good to very good player it's SG given Manu's health.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting in considering? That's just North of unaware.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If this was 6 months ago, I'd be excited.

Jax/Leonard > Batum

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great points but what about Green? Don't you think he may get close to 8M this summer?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not happening, the Spurs roster will most likely be the exact same as this years. The only player that might not get resigned is Diaw and that'd be to bring in lorbek.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great points but what about Green? Don't you think he may get close to 8M this summer? If I understood correctly (please correct me if I'm wrong) Green is restricted but there's no limit to the offers he can get unlike Lin, right?

If there's a position worth doubling with a good to very good player it's SG given Manu's health.
    Yeah, Green isn't in the same case as Lin. He has been in the NBA for three year and doesn't apply for the Gilbert Arenas rule.

Spurs max offer for Green is a 4 years contract starting around $5.1M with a 7.5% yearly raise. That is to say a $22.7M/4 years contract. If a team offers Green less than that (a full MLE contract is less than that), Spurs will be able to match it. If a team offers Green more than that, Spurs are screwed and won't be able to match it.

Green isn't in fact a fully restricted free agent. If a team with cap space wants him and is ready to give him more than a $5.1M starting salary, Spurs will have nothign to say and will assist powerless to Green leaving them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The way he's playing with Portland ? No thanks

He'd be a good fit with the Bobcats though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, Green isn't in the same case as Lin. He has been in the NBA for three year and doesn't apply for the Gilbert Arenas rule.

Spurs max offer for Green is a 4 years contract starting around $5.1M with a 7.5% yearly raise. That is to say a $22.7M/4 years contract. If a team offers Green less than that (a full MLE contract is less than that), Spurs will be able to match it. If a team offers Green more than that, Spurs are screwed and won't be able to match it.

Green isn't in fact a fully restricted free agent. If a team with cap space wants him and is ready to give him more than a $5.1M starting salary, Spurs will have nothign to say and will assist powerless to Green leaving them.
    I really like Danny Green, but would anyone really offer more than $5.1 million for a guard who's an indifferent ball handler at best and can't create his own shot?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really like Danny Green, but would anyone really offer more than $5.1 million for a guard who's an indifferent ball handler at best and can't create his own shot?
    Well, I was more stating the CBA rules than evaluating Danny Green market value. To answers at your question, I don't really know how much money NBA teams will give to Green this summer. He isn't an easy player to evaluate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, I was more stating the CBA rules than evaluating Danny Green market value. To answers at your question, I don't really know how much money NBA teams will give to Green this summer. He isn't an easy player to evaluate.
    Unfortunately, it only takes one team to overpay a guy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All we gotta do is sign Noah and Beaubois and we have the French national team....

Thread Information