Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    timvp's balls have shrivelled up and his has turtled.
    I haven't even said the Spurs will lose a game this series and yet my genitalia is being disparaged.

Untill two days ago, it was the Memphis bigs.
    Now, it's the Clippers backcourt.

This is how you rule over people: inducing fears.
    I don't know if you're talking about me but I don't see how it applies. I predicted a sweep over the Jazz and would have predicted a sweep over the Grizzlies. I've also been the one leading the charge in saying Spurs fans were needlessly worried about this year's Grizzlies.

And again, I'm not sure these things to be wary about will even cost the Spurs a game in this series.

I think I'm done with SpursTalk until we finish this series. I'll see you guys in five or six games. I don't know about YOUR Spurs, but MY SPURS got this one!!! The drive for five continues for me!!!!!!!!!!![/COLOR]
    Classic.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Steve Nash was even more hurt. That didn't work out too well for the Spurs.
    I think there was a lot more to it that helped Steve Nash remain a lethal threat even with being injured that year.

IMO He was damn near impossible to guard those years due to having a Robin to his Batman in the pick and roll (Amare)-- who was deadly in the pick and pop and rolling to the basket.

Same could be said for Chris Paul in the WCSF in 2008 when he had a prime David West-- who was lethal in the pick and pop.

Same can't be said against this Clippers team.

Paul simply doesn't have as much assistance in his all-important pick and roll because the Clippers lack a legitimate pick and pop big. None of them can shoot. This factor should really make it easier for the Spurs to defend ( not saying it's going to be easy, but it should be easier than those Suns and 08' Hornets.

Hey Bruce... Lebron is the Rock Sec24Row7's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we sweep a prime Chris Paul... the championship is a lock...

I give that guy more respect than just about any other player in the league... and he hasn't ever been out of the 2nd round...

Sweeping the Clips is too much to ask for... What would that do... put the win streak at 18 games... 9 in a row against +.500 compe ion?

Good Luck.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop is going to take Vinny Del to the woodshed.

PRICELESS SPURS FAN polandprzem's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First I was thinking about tough six game series with a spurs victory.

Maily because Clipps are deep, Clipps are strong, Clipps can rebound, Clipps are athletic, Clipps can hustle and defend, Clipps do have players that can cause spurs problems as lile Mo or Nick.

That said. The spurs are smarter, the spurs do have that experience even though they do have rookie in the starting 5. Spurs play better team basketball.

All in all Vinny not gonna lead this team like Pop.

Tony got something to prove.

Spurs are well rested and are about to start the playoffs now.

I think game 3 will be a game where spurs are gonna get destroyed.
    Spurs in 5

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    thanks for the cold water bucket

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "FO, FO, FO!"

(Moses Malone)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LJ normally I find myself agreeing with most of what you post but I can't this time around. While I do think there are some similarities to 2010 here, I think there some glaring omissions. Past the Nash comparisons to Paul, I don't think the teams compare at all. There is no 3 point shooting 4 and I cannot see any single player on the Clippers being the difference makers Dudley was. They are not gritty enough and they're not not going to all of a sudden develop that. They can score, but if you're trying to beat the Spurs by outscoring them you're in for a huge surprise.

I definitely see VERY little potential for a let down. For one, as Bruno mentioned - its been since 2008 since the Spurs won a god damn 2nd round series. I can't imagine Pop not hammering that home.

I also just look at how efficient the Spurs are and I look at how hungry they are and I just cannot fathom a team that looked as terrible as the Clippers being able to hang. I mean, one way to put it is that the Clippers are battle tested and another way to put it is that Memphis choked hard and that the Clippers are lucky as all . I mean sure, Nick Young has to hit some big shots down the end of game one to even have us in this location but by the same token Memphis has to be at Richard Jefferson level effort levels in order to let that happen.

I do get a bit worried about the Clippers and the pick and roll, but that is about all I worry about. This year more than any other Spurs championship team I've had a hard time believing that they can win it all. Even with as dominant as they've looked. But when I think of them falling, it is always at the hands of Miami, the Lakers, or OKC. I just can't see them being pushed by a team that won more due to Memphis' incompetence than anything else, IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not least bit concerned about spurs having any let down at all

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Nonsense. The Paul vs Nash comparison just doesn't fly, because Nash had no problem switching between assist man and massive scorer. CP3 isn't that guy. He can put up points on a given night, but you can't ask him to carry the load night it and night out.

Add to that the fact that Nash was surrounded by simply better talent for that kind of game (Amare for the pick and roll, Grant Hill and Jason Richardson for the mid-range and Frye acting as the stretch 4). They also had hustle guys off the bench in Admunson and Dudley. And the Spurs was still a very limited team with Roger Mason and Keith Bogans off the bench. Suns also had home court advantage.

Furthermore, unlike the Memphis series, he will have to cover a quick guy like Tony. No more walking around following a slow footed guy like Conley Jr.

As I pointed out in another thread, the Spurs will have to be very careful to defend the 3 point shot. Guys like Mo Williams, Foye and Young can catch fire rather quickly. The Clipps look big inside with guys like DJ, Griffin and KMart, but they're low basketball IQ players that shouldn't require more than single cover. There's no reason for the Spurs to start leaving shooters open.

Lastly, the Clipps are riding the high note from game 7. If the Spurs can smack them back down to earth in Game 1, this might end up being a fairly quick series.

Spurs simply have the much better talent, depth, execution, coaching, and home court advantage. In some areas the difference is actually abysmal (execution, coaching).

Spurs are due for a letdown though, so I think 5 games is reasonable.
    Agreed with everything but that. Conley is no Parker, but in what world is he "slow-footed"?!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Clippers did not look great against the Grizzlies, but the Grizzlies looked even worse in key moments. Their collapse in the fourth quarter yesterday was epic; they had that game well in hand.

Sure, there are real problems to deal with and reasons for concern. But I don't know if we see any players on the LAC side who appear to be insurmountable problems. Of course you don't want Nick Young to go off, but then why not try to guard him instead of letting him hit 3 threes in a row at the end of Game One? A key will be how Pop is able to adjust to game situations, while no one believes VDN can do the same.

I do not remember a more unremarkable and potentially easier second round opponent in the West for some time. I think they will see San Antonio coming in waves, have trouble stopping them, and then not be able to do much to stop it. Rust will be a factor, and so will a late-game push by Paul. But I'm not terribly worried about this series.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I, too, am wary of this series as I've mentioned before. Lots of good, mid-range scorers being fed by a great assist man in CP3. Chris has an extra level of compe iveness not seen in many players. He finds gaps, he hits clutch shots. He helped take the NOLA series versus the Spurs in '08 to 7 games on sheer will, alone. That was scary.

This series should be higher scoring than the Clips-Griz series, which helps the Spurs, but appropriate fear is called for here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I understand your concern but that was a different Spurs team than the one we'll put on the floor against the Clippers.

Nash was good, don't get me wrong, but we got killed by the other guys. Stoudemire, Hill, Dudley, Dragic, Frye, Barbosa and Richardson all had their way with us. They went small and we couldn't hang.

Both Dragic and Nash killed us with the pick and roll. Paul is going to have to carry most of the load and the Clips don't play P&R as well as the Phoenix team did. As long as the Spurs get back on transition defense, we'll be good.

Maybe Mills will see some additional time on the floor. He does a good job of pressuring the ball when its being brought up the floor and just being a nuisance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's the roster we put on the floor during the 2009 playoffs. Don't laugh:

Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, Dejuan Blair (R), George Hill, Matt Bonner, Antonio McDyess

Richard Jefferson, Keith Bogans, Garrett Temple, Malik Hairston, Roger Mason, Ian Mahinmi

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tbh, I probably should have clarified that when I said "That didn't work out too well for the Spurs" I meant that Nash being injured didn't slow him down versus the Spurs. I didn't mean these Spurs were going to suc b to the same fate as the 2010 team and get swept by the Clippers

Yes, I know the 2010 Spurs were a lot worse team and that the 2010 Suns had a lot more weapons. I never meant to hint at anything different.

I'm just saying the last time the Spurs were in the second round, it turned out to be a mistake to simply bank on the injured superstar point guard remaining limited. In other words, Pop shouldn't come out with the game plan of daring Chris Paul to beat the Spurs. Back in 2010, Pop got caught with his hand in the cookie jar and outsmarted himself by daring a supposedly hobbled Steve Nash.

I want Pop to have the Spurs defend Chris Paul as they normally would. If he proves to be hobbled, then adjust according as the series progresses. But don't start Game 1 like CP3 is a gimp. 'Tis all I'm saying with that comparison.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Clippers finished the regular season 6-4, and then went 4-3 in the playoffs. The Spurs finished the regular season 10-0, and went 4-0 in the playoffs.

The Spurs' margin of victory in those last 10 regular season games was 16.8. Their margin of victory in their 4 playoff games was 16. The Clippers' margin of victory in their last 6 regular season wins was 9.16. And their margin of victory in their playoff wins was 4. And remember, that doesn't take into account the fact that they lost almost as many as they won.

The Spurs came into the playoffs playing awesome ball, and it showed in the first round. The Clippers came into the playoffs playing half-assed ball, and it showed in the playoffs.

To the best of my knowledge, no team has ever gone into a playoff series in fear of Eric Bledsoe, Mo Williams, or Randy Foye. On any given night, those guys can go off for a lot of points - but so can half the players in the league. Their big threat is Chris Paul. And this could be Paul's chance to finally beat the Spurs in the post season - if he was playing the '10 Spurs that got beat by Steve Nash. But he isn't.

If the Spurs come out rusty after the layoff, it could go 6 games IMO. If they come out playing like they have the last 14 games, it could be another sweep. I know the Clips have talent. But, dammit, so do the Spurs.

I'm just saying the last time the Spurs were in the second round, it turned out to be a mistake to simply bank on the injured superstar point guard remaining limited. In other words, Pop shouldn't come out with the game plan of daring Chris Paul to beat the Spurs. Back in 2010, Pop got caught with his hand in the cookie jar and outsmarted himself by daring a supposedly hobbled Steve Nash.

I want Pop to have the Spurs defend Chris Paul as they normally would. If he proves to be hobbled, then adjust according as the series progresses. But don't start Game 1 like CP3 is a gimp. 'Tis all I'm saying with that comparison.

I totally agree with that. Even if Chris Paul is hurt, he's going to play through it. And even if he's really hobbled, he's capable of putting up a good enough show to command more attention than he deserves. I don't think the Spurs would look past him, no matter what.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tbh, I probably should have clarified that when I said "That didn't work out too well for the Spurs" I meant that Nash being injured didn't slow him down versus the Spurs. I didn't mean these Spurs were going to suc b to the same fate as the 2010 team and get swept by the Clippers

Yes, I know the 2010 Spurs were a lot worse team and that the 2010 Suns had a lot more weapons. I never meant to hint at anything different.

1) Pop himself is a different coach this year, compared to last year or 2010. He is more involved, more interested.
    After 15 years of so many victories, I guess he likely senses his team has a real chance, this year.
    Pop will initially have TP on Paul and then switch Leonard on him.

2) Paul had 50 assists, 25 TO in the Memphis series. The ratio was 6:1 in his 2008 PO.
    Conley had 50 assists, 16 TO. With no previous or media-induced bias, it would be seriously difficult to tell who was better (or less worse) of the two.
    Paul is not the major reason the Clippers advanced.
    Ask Hollins about Haddadi and Arenas in the 4th of game 7, Speights sitting.

3) I have a lot of respect for the Clippers, for they won a G7 on the road, finally, despite having decades-long and well established culture of defeat.
    I think the series could easily go to 6 games.
    But in the end, having watched quite few PO games this year, I have honestly seen two teams play basketball the way basketball is supposed to be played as a TEAM: Spurs and Celtics.

4) I also would have had no doubt that the Spurs would have prevailed over Memphis, but because of their physicality, this would have come at a cost.
    Butler, Paul and Griffin payed that cost, already.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Clippers are playing playground ball, and the Spurs are great in exploiting undisciplined defensive plays.

This will be a high scoring series, much like Spurs vs. Suns 2005. Spurs in 5.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    VDN very known for leaving in lineups for way too long that can backfire. Spurs will have to pounce on that to build leads.

Win. Whatever it Takes Whisky Dog's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I posted last week that I wanted the Grizz because they'd be the easier match up for the Spurs. No shooting dump it down teams don't do well against these Spurs. Hot streaky shooting teams can do well.

We COULD lose this series. It's very possible, I think it would have been improbable to lose to the Grizz. This is definitely the worse matchup.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I, too, am wary of this series as I've mentioned before. Lots of good, mid-range scorers being fed by a great assist man in CP3. Chris has an extra level of compe iveness not seen in many players. He finds gaps, he hits clutch shots. He helped take the NOLA series versus the Spurs in '08 to 7 games on sheer will, alone. That was scary.

This series should be higher scoring than the Clips-Griz series, which helps the Spurs, but appropriate fear is called for here.
    The extra gear to defer to Pargo in a game 7? Just kidding (maybe), he is a very great player/compe or but he hasn't been himself these playoffs (critical turnovers in crunch time, lower scoring...).

Their mid-range game is deceptive. It's good, but it doesn't seem to be all that consistent. Guys like Foye, Mo & Caron all can do both (mid-range & three's) but it's not some conistent well oiled machine if you watch them. Spurs should have a healthy respect but if they execute as they have been, they should score much more than Memphis and that puts most games out of reach even if LA is shooting well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Play hard, share the ball, get the rust out quickly.. find a way to stop CP3, use Splitter a lot, tactically foul the buffoons who litter the Clips' team and then let VDN screw up his team with his lousy coaching.. and the Spurs can win this series easily... Let CP3 run the P&Rs or get injured... you will have a 4-1 or a 4-2...But the Spurs have this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ya'lls cautious optimism is cute, but this is a sweep ladies and gentlemen.

Grizz were the much tougher opponent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If only it were just Dragic. There's an unpleasant image of Grant Hill dropping jumpers over Duncan while he just stands there that I can't shake.
    Do NOT forget Channing freakin Frye as well That whole series is just forgettable! Seeing a goofball like Dudley on a team that swept us is just what I never want to see again in the second round

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blame a lot of that on playing George Hill on Nash. Man, Hill was brutal to watch guarding any kind of screen.

Thread Information