Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Diaw has always had more talent than reputation. A very versatile defender at 4 positions, a tremendous passer and a good low usage scorer. Diaw's biggest problem was always that he's reluctant to take shots (besides the poor rebounding if he's playing a post position). For some reason, he's now taking the shots we've been giving him.

The Spurs are very complicated to stop. Their top pick'n'roll can't be stopped without help and once the help arrives they execute the ball reversal too quickly. If it wasn't for them missing 4 or 5 open corner 3s in the second quarter, the game would be over even sooner. It was the only quarter in this series they scored below 20 points. Their eFG% in this series is 60%.

However, these grades would be lower if Paul and Blake were healthy. The Spurs are a middling defensive team and we're making them look as the Bulls or the Celtics because we can't great good shots or play the transition. Once those guys are healthy, these Spurs role-players will start looking a lot worse.
    Diaw reluctance to shoot on the Spurs doesn't hurt as much because of all the offensive weapons we have. It's also why he did so well with the Suns.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I didn't think of it as an adjustment. Pop always does that. It's a great sign of progress that Splitter and Duncan are playing together and nobody finds it worth noting.
    I think the fact that Splitter has moved up in the depth chart beyond Bonner is the thing worth noting.

PRICELESS SPURS FAN polandprzem's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    where is gone fishing tbh?

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the fact that Splitter has moved up in the depth chart beyond Bonner is the thing worth noting.
    Bonner's exactly what I've been saying he is for the last several years: A really good fourth big to give you 10-12 minutes.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good, thorough analysis timvp. I might have to check back on this forum in the next few years to get your take on the Spurs every so often. God knows I can't get it from ESPN or any other mainstream media.
    ...There's a good joke in here somewhere.

By the way, thanks Timvp.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure we can call that an adjustment since Pop always benches a player (outside of TD and TP) to start the second half if he has three fouls. It worked out well, though.
    Okay. Let's not call it an adjustment. Let's call it "Pop still having the sense to
    not risk a player who has three fouls getting his fourth early in the second half" AND realizing that his second unit was so rudderless in the first half that it wouldn't be a bad idea to put Diaw and his high BBIQ in the second unit's front line to steady them in the third quarter.

None of has a clue as to whether or not Pop actually considered the strength of Diaw with the second unit in his "automatic" change of not sending him out at the beginning of the second half, but, as you say, "It worked out well".

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mills is quicker, but only on offense, and he is indeed a point guard. Given what little I've seen of him, however, he looks like a shoot-first guy. I'm not positive that he's much more of a willing passer than Neal is.

It might be worth throwing him in there, but if the rationale is so that he can defend the Clippers guards better than Neal, I'll believe it when I see it, and I'm kind of leaning toward the "if it ain't broke" camp on this call. The rotation as it stands is working, and working well. I say leave it alone.
    I don't disagree with the philosophy of "if it ain't broke". However, you can't argue that Neal is a suitable back-up for TP. The last two games prove that Neal is not a PG and that his ability to score makes up for his inability to run the team and slow opposing pg's. Going forward, this could become a huge liability. Just think what would happen if TP was slowed or hurt? I have no idea if Mills could run the team any better that Neal but, I would think Pop should find out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't disagree with the philosophy of "if it ain't broke". However, you can't argue that Neal is a suitable back-up for TP.

Which is why I never have. I think Neal's a terrible point guard. That said, I don't think Mills is much better. Most of us assume that he'll handle pressure better, but Beno Udrih is a better point guard than Patty Mills and couldn't handle that.

The last two games prove that Neal is not a PG and that his ability to score makes up for his inability to run the team and slow opposing pg's. Going forward, this could become a huge liability. Just think what would happen if TP was slowed or hurt? I have no idea if Mills could run the team any better that Neal but, I would think Pop should find out.
    Going forward, it could become a liability. It's not now, and the Spurs are rolling. I'm in the "pop should find out" crowd, but I was in favor of it over a month ago. Not so keen on it right now. We know he can play, and he's there to plug in if Parker gets hurt. Playing him now has little bearing on how good he'll be if that happens.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Re: Mills vs. Neal as a back up point guard.

Let's face it - we don't want to have to use either of them very much. Neal is a terrific shooting guard, and I just think that Manu should be the point guard when Neal is on the court without Tony. Manu is a better ball handler than Neal and is a better passer than anyone else, period.

Mills can't pass. At all. He can't pass. So, regardless of the fact that Neal is not a good ball handler, Mills is not the answer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is the Diaw I love tbh. He has always been one of the most talented player in the nba. I just didn't know he was capable to play at this level again.

I still believe he has wasted his talent, he could have been one of the most versatile big man ever. His MIP season was outstanding (3D time) but he lost himself at some point.

The FNT is going to be great with an already very talented squad but with Diaw at this level I hope great things during the Olympics.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks as always for the great write up!

Do you think there is any concern at the (relative) lack of production from the bench?

Spurs International Expert gilmor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Watching Diaw, it makes me wonder how much a prime Duncan would have averaged with Diaw next to him. 28? 30?

The Spurs have had some good bigman passers but Diaw is on another level ... not only because his vision is great but because he can dribble the ball to further breakdown the defense before making a pass.

Let's hope he keeps it up
    I thought Diaw, Green and Kawhi are the missing pieces that we don't have last year. Having these 3 are heavenly..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought Diaw, Green and Kawhi are the missing pieces that we don't have last year. Having these 3 are heavenly..
    We replaced Dice, George Hill, and RJ with Diaw, Green, and Kawhi. Definitely an upgrade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We replaced Dice, George Hill, and RJ with Splitter, Diaw, Green, Jack and Kawhi. Definitely an upgrade.
    fify

Thread Information