Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

A handful of student activists are expressing their displeasure at the rising cost of college by wearing inflatable ball and chain accessories over their graduation robes. The props state the amount of debt with which they're graduating. The silent commencement protest, dubbed "Occupy Graduation" by its organizers, is taking place at seven universities around the country.

Ben Cohen, the co-founder of Ben & Jerry's ice cream, is helping pay for the protest and has raised about $400,000 to fund Occupy-related projects.

"A college education is so important and now it's only available to people who have a lot of money or to people who end up going into debt for the rest of their lives," Cohen told Yahoo News. The entrepreneur never completed college, but he thinks it's crucial to job success today.

Another protest is planned for Hunter College in New York at the graduation ceremony on Tuesday. Monica Johnson, a 35-year-old Hunter College graduate student who's helping to organize the demonstration, borrowed about $15,000 in federally secured loans 15 years ago to pay for college. But in 2007, she decided to move to New York to get a master of fine arts degree at Pratt, a private school. She took out an additional $60,000 in loans, which ballooned to $88,000 after she dropped out of the program, dissatisfied. She now has a full-time job at an arts nonprofit and is enrolled at the much cheaper Hunter College, where she'll receive her MFA in December.

Johnson recently paid off $18,000 of her debt over a period of eight months, by subsisting on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and paying for things only in cash, which she said helped her resist buying anything unnecessary. She's encouraging indebted graduates to form a union and negotiate with lenders to get lower rates or income-based repayment.

"What really pisses me off is I should never have been given those loans," Johnson said. "It honestly was the worst money I ever spent."

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...175457644.html

above average height mavs>spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    i don't have much sympathy for the liberal arts majors but the engineers and who don't have jobs now that pisses me off

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pratt was the only flyer I got, so they do have a place n my heart. However, student loans have gotten way the out of hand. It's a trillion dollar bubble soon to burst, I'm no economics guy but this can't be good for the govt or banks who bought this debt.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Last edited by mavs>spurs; 05-23-2012 at 05:33 PM.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do not go mad bro. I think payments are deferred six months after graduation. If u dnt have major responsibilities throw care to the wind get on Craigslist or monster and go where you have always wanted.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    sure didn't go to school to work some craigslist job

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aw, that was a great rant.

Why delete it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sure didn't go to school to work some craigslist job
    wow such a sense of en lement! Good luck with that...

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Aw, that was a great rant.

Why delete it?
    because the wrong person could see it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They are victims who were forced to get loans and attend expensive schools.

Is there going to be an Occupy Bought too much car? Occupy Lived beyond my means? etc.

Oh well, their victimhood and complete refusal to accept personal responsibility will make them good little Dembots.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    because the wrong person could see it
    Which one?

What do you have to hide?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    wow such a sense of en lement! Good luck with that...
    i don't have THAT much of a sense of en lement but i'm not going to be one of those people working for 12 dollars an hour with a degree, there's no point in that and it would never pay back the loans

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Which one?

What do you have to hide?
    i'm done talking about it thanks and nothing

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    They are victims who were forced to get loans and attend expensive schools.

Is there going to be an Occupy Bought too much car? Occupy Lived beyond my means? etc.

Oh well, their victimhood and complete refusal to accept personal responsibility will make them good little Dembots.
    i feel like a victim and i forewent going off to college like all my friends, worked to pay for 2 years of community college out of pocket and pay for books then had to take out about 15 grand of loans to wrap up my degree at the local university while i chose to live at home feeling like a got. all so i wouldn't end up like those guys, but the thought that none of that matters and i could possibly end up in the same boat thanks to these assholes just throws me into a rage.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i'm done talking about it thanks and nothing
    So you threatened to renounce your citizenship and leave the country if you don't get a good job in six months out of UTA because of the drones circling your city.

Sounds like a plan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i feel like a victim
    Welcome to adulthood. Register Republican. That's where the real victims are.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    So you threatened to renounce your citizenship and leave the country if you don't get a good job in six months out of UTA because of the drones circling your city.

Sounds like a plan.
    no, do you have a link of me saying that or something?

i bet you just love the drones flying overhead though. sicko.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no, do you have a link of me saying that or something?
    It's close enough.

There's no reason for me to make something like that up. Feel free to clarify.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Welcome to adulthood. Register Republican. That's where the real victims are.
    why would i want to play into that dumbass divide and conquer puppet master game? ain't votin for nobody tbh, except ron paul or maybe some random honest guy who works at jack in the box as a manager over nobama

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i don't have THAT much of a sense of en lement but i'm not going to be one of those people working for 12 dollars an hour with a degree, there's no point in that and it would never pay back the loans
    Absolutely! u might find a small business, who doesn't want to spend the money monster charges. Trust me I speak from experiance. I found a job n Craigslist in the second half of 08, when was real bad! It wasnt a dream job but it paid the bills, and I had a little for fun. Good luck!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i bet you just love the drones flying overhead though. sicko.
    Do you have proof of these drones or something?

The drones you didn't mention....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol, stupid

Monica Johnson, a 35-year-old Hunter College graduate student who's helping to organize the demonstration, borrowed about $15,000 in federally secured loans 15 years ago to pay for college. But in 2007, she decided to move to New York to get a master of fine arts degree at Pratt, a private school. She took out an additional $60,000 in loans, which ballooned to $88,000 after she dropped out of the program, dissatisfied. She now has a full-time job at an arts nonprofit

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    why would i want to play into that dumbass divide and conquer puppet master game? ain't votin for nobody tbh, except ron paul or maybe some random honest guy who works at jack in the box as a manager over nobama
    Sounds like you'll be working for that last dude soon enough.

Thread Information