Page 130 of 210 FirstFirst ... 3080120126127128129130131132133134140180 ... LastLast
Results 3,226 to 3,250 of 5245
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The earth has endured far worse calamities than CO2 and animal farts, tbh.
    How many of those were in our power to prevent, DarrinS?

I noticed you dodged the economic implications. Why is that?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My God Random...

Here we have an oceanographer who apparently thinks GW will cause the whole of the oceans to rise by 2C. Not just the immediate surface, which still will not rise by that much if the atmosphere does. She is outside here field.

Do the math.

Take the mass of the oceans and calculate how many joules of energy it takes to raise the temperature by 2 degrees, Then compute that to watt-hours, and then to what surface imbalance it takes over how many years to accomplish this.

I think it will surprise you.
    Do the math. How much will reducing CO2 emissions add to the economy?

That is the kind of math I am good at.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Do the math. How much will reducing CO2 emissions add to the economy?

That is the kind of math I am good at.
    I'll tell you what.

I'll agree to mitigating CO2 emissions at the high cost it will take if we do not subsidize anyone for the higher costs of transportation, electricity, etc. I'll pay my own extra usage costs and expect everyone else to also.

I'm tired of all these progressive wealth distribution schemes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My God Random...

Here we have an oceanographer who apparently thinks GW will cause the whole of the oceans to rise by 2C. Not just the immediate surface, which still will not rise by that much if the atmosphere does. She is outside here field.

Do the math.

Take the mass of the oceans and calculate how many joules of energy it takes to raise the temperature by 2 degrees, Then compute that to watt-hours, and then to what surface imbalance it takes over how many years to accomplish this.

I think it will surprise you.
    the article mentioned the "earth's warming"... doesn't mention the temperature of "the whole of oceans including beyond the immediate surface"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll tell you what.

I'll agree to mitigating CO2 emissions at the high cost it will take if we do not subsidize anyone for the higher costs of transportation, electricity, etc. I'll pay my own extra usage costs and expect everyone else to also.

and herein lies the fundamental problem. people are taking their political preferences, in your case, lack of subsidies/distribution, and letting that cloud their judgment over the accuracy of the scientific findings.

ergo, you dont want distribution, therefore it is in your political interest for AGW to not be an actual thing/threat... leading you to constantly downplay it.

and with many (not necessarily you), on a simpler level, "i dont believe in global warming because liberals constantly talk about it"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll tell you what.

How high will the cost be? Do tell.

That is some math I wish you would do.

I am tired of all these conservative wealth distribution schemes.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    the article mentioned the "earth's warming"... doesn't mention the temperature of "the whole of oceans including beyond the immediate surface"
    Then just how is this dramatic sea level change suppose to happen?

If you mean the melting of sheet ice, ever do the heat of fusion calculations to the energy imbalance requirements?

The ocean rise primarily because of melting sheet ice, and thermal expansion. Both require tremendous energy.

I challenge you to do the calculations sometime to meet these alarming levels of sea level rise.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    and herein lies the fundamental problem. people are taking their political preferences, in your case, lack of subsidies/distribution, and letting that cloud their judgment over the accuracy of the scientific findings.

ergo, you dont want distribution, therefore it is in your political interest for AGW to not be an actual thing/threat... leading you to constantly downplay it.

and with many (not necessarily you), on a simpler level, "i dont believe in global warming because liberals constantly talk about it"
    Believe as you wish.

Are you suggesting there are no other causes?

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    How high will the cost be? Do tell.

That is some math I wish you would do.

I am tired of all these conservative wealth distribution schemes.
    First, what level of carbon reduction is needed to meet your goals?

How are you going to get Asia to stop?

To do any good, the level of carbon mitigation is very costly. Not just electricity, but all of transportation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Then just how is this dramatic sea level change suppose to happen?

If you mean the melting of sheet ice, ever do the heat of fusion calculations to the energy imbalance requirements?

The ocean rise primarily because of melting sheet ice, and thermal expansion. Both require tremendous energy.

I challenge you to do the calculations sometime to meet these alarming levels of sea level rise.
    i'm not qualified to. i'm scientifically literate enough to read what scientists publish. that's the extent of my knowledge. i dont have my own theories and calculations. i didnt read anywhere in that posted article that the author thought the entire ocean, at all depths, would rise by 2 degrees C
    Believe as you wish.

Are you suggesting there are no other causes?
    a lot of things affect the climate.

solar forcing... over a long trend, solar luminosity increases with time. on a shorter scale, we have the 11-ish year cycle

the earth's wobble, the milankovitch cycle... over a roughly 140,000 year timescale

cosmic rays/cloud cover (although there is uncertainty here... some people like richard lindzen argue that having fewer clouds has a cooling effect because clouds trap heat, where others claim having fewer clouds warms the earth because clouds reflect sunlight). experiments in recent years have tended to shown that fewer clouds have in fact led to a net warming effect

there are a many things that factor into climate. i'm sure you know all about forcing and insulation... but when you ask which are able to sufficiently account for the recent accelerated warming the earth has experienced, agw as a result of increased co2 takes the cake.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i'm not qualified to. i'm scientifically literate enough to read what scientists publish. that's the extent of my knowledge. i dont have my own theories and calculations. i didnt read anywhere in that posted article that the author thought the entire ocean, at all depths, would rise by 2 degrees C

a lot of things affect the climate.

solar forcing... over a long trend, solar luminosity increases with time. on a shorter scale, we have the 11-ish year cycle

the earth's wobble, the milankovitch cycle... over a roughly 140,000 year timescale

cosmic rays/cloud cover (although there is uncertainty here... some people like richard lindzen argue that having fewer clouds has a cooling effect because clouds trap heat, where others claim having fewer clouds warms the earth because clouds reflect sunlight). experiments in recent years have tended to shown that fewer clouds have in fact led to a net warming effect

there are a many things that factor into climate. i'm sure you know all about forcing and insulation... but when you ask which are able to sufficiently account for the recent accelerated warming the earth has experienced, agw as a result of increased co2 takes the cake.
    A long time ago I realized that a Bert Russell quote defines WC very well:

A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.
    Of course WC dumbed down the ocean's layers and gradients as such. That is what he does: get a harebrained idea of a complex idea and try to apply it to everything; nuance is a complete mystery to him. You should have seen him when I introduced him to the idea of linearity when comparing systems. That was fun.

On a certain level its entertaining watching him equivalate simple and complex and act like its valid but I would not advise or expect any real understanding from him.

He can fumble around with "what" somewhat but the "how" and "why" are all but impossible for him. It's why he has to constantly refer to troubleshooting checklists by rote for the machines that he changes parts on.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    LOL...

Fuzzy logic at it again...

I'm sorry you are incapable of understanding me. Not my problem.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL...

Fuzzy logic at it again...

I'm sorry you are incapable of understanding me. Not my problem.
    If you are going to make such claims and have people believe it then you need to explain what I am missing.

I did not just say you were a dumb . I pointed out specifically what your limitations were and how they manifest.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    If you are going to make such claims and have people believe it then you need to explain what I am missing.

I did not just say you were a dumb . I pointed out specifically what your limitations were and how they manifest.
    Why? No matter what I say, you come up with some dumb excuse.

You should be happy I waste as much time as I do with you! I normally ignore your stupid ass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why? No matter what I say, you come up with some dumb excuse.

You should be happy I waste as much time as I do with you! I normally ignore your stupid ass.
    You cannot do it.

And I haven't posted much here in over a month. I come back and talk to someone else about your stupidity once and you respond.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    You cannot do it.

And I haven't posted much here in over a month. I come back and talk to someone else about your stupidity once and you respond.
    If that's what makes you sleep better at night...

Go ahead. Have the last word. No need to waste more time with you.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lets spend 15 trillion dollars to combat a hoax.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First, what level of carbon reduction is needed to meet your goals?

How are you going to get Asia to stop?

To do any good, the level of carbon mitigation is very costly. Not just electricity, but all of transportation.
    Pre industrial CO2 levels is the ultimate goal.

You don't need to get Asia to stop.

Carbon capture and utilization is the future. Plenty of breakthroughs every year on that front. When CO2 is a valuable commodity we'll have our cake and eat it too. And people like RG will be pissed because the evil fossil fuel industry will continue on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Carbon capture and utilization is the future. Plenty of breakthroughs every year on that front. When CO2 is a valuable commodity we'll have our cake and eat it too. And people like RG will be pissed because the evil fossil fuel industry will continue on.
    Stabilisation of CO2 levels is the goal at this point. Nature does a good job creating carbon sinks on its own.

Given the new solid state, high voltage, sodium based battery technology, renewables prices are going to drop even more. From what I understand the first models have triple the energy density and do not crystallize under high voltage. Sodium is a of a lot cheaper than lithium.

Fossil fuels will always have a role unless someone can come up with a catalyst to bond nitrogen during open air hydrogen combustion. It's portability and at will applications are useful to say the least. There is just no good reason why it should be the dominant energy provider moving forward.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count

That means completely stopping any CO2 emissions. It would be prohibitively expensive.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    .. as if AGW is without cost

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Florida Sea Level Rise & Unchecked Coastal Developments

The piercing emerald-green waters of the Gulf coast of Florida and the wilder expanse of shimmering waves on the Atlantic coast, especially near Miami, attract immense amounts of development on an essentially flat limestone sponge — a porous sandy terrain.

day by day, month by month, large coastal luxury buildings shoot sky high, with almost no sidewalk to spare on one side and sand that will soon be underwater on the other. No wall can hold back that water — it will just leak through underneath.

That water can even come up through the wastewater drainage pipes, a nice way to be flooded (wink, wink).

Experts foresee all those coastal causeways will be underwater, becoming the beginning of modern-day Atlantis.

“Relative sea levels in South Florida are roughly four inches higher now than in 1992,” Bloomberg reports.

“The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration predicts sea levels will rise as much as three feet in Miami by 2060.

By the end of the century, according to projections by Zillow, some 934,000 existing Florida properties, worth more than $400 billion, are at risk of being submerged.”

“Nobody thinks it’s coming as fast as it is,”

says Dan Kipnis, the chairman of Miami Beach’s Marine and Waterfront Protection Authority, who has been trying to find a buyer for his home in Miami Beach for almost a year, and has already lowered his asking price twice.”Going on, the South Florida real estate story gets even more interesting.

“Some South Florida homeowners, stuck in a twist on the prisoner’s dilemma, are deciding to sell now—not necessarily because they want to move, but because they’re worried their neighbors will sell first.”

https://cleantechnica.com/2017/05/14...eanTechnica%29
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 05-14-2017 at 10:05 PM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Expert say humans to blame for the rise in temperatures of planets like mars and jupiter...........:........

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Expert say humans to blame for the rise in temperatures of planets like mars and jupiter...........:........
    post where you get your information on mars and jupiter's climates and how they've gotten warmer

Thread Information