Page 167 of 210 FirstFirst ... 67117157163164165166167168169170171177 ... LastLast
Results 4,151 to 4,175 of 5243
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Humans have in their bed, and there is no way to clean it, or even anyway to stop ting in it.

the Anthropocene sucks for the anthros, and the show just getting started.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Earlier this year, a United Nations report found that “potentially devastating temperature rises of 3 to 5 [degrees Celsius] in the Arctic are now inevitable

even if the world succeeds in cutting greenhouse gas emissions in line with the Paris agreement.”

At the moment, no nation on Earth is on track to meet its emissions targets under that accord.

And any temperature rise above what’s already inevitable would pose a severe risk of melting the methane-infused Arctic permafrost,

thus
    releasing 283 gigatonnes of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere

— a development that, when combined with the disappearance of heat-deflecting ice,

would rapidly accelerate global warming and all but doom human civilization."

https://medium.com/new-york-magazine/moderate-democrats-delusions-of-prudence-will-kill-us-all-8802a034d47c

... and there is NOTHING that can be done to stop the doom.

Only govt policies "could" work, but the oligarchy, the LAST ones to be affected by AGW doomsday, own and operate govt.

Disenfranchised individuals are powerless, politically, and environmentally.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Trump Administration Hardens its Attack on Climate Science"

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/27/u...e-science.html

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    During debate over science standards, Connecticut Republican blurts out:

‘Thank God for global warming’

Senior Republican Whip John Piscopo argued that the Next Generation Science Standards are wrong about climate change and he said that humans should be thankful for global warming.

“That’s what teachers are going to be mandated to teach,” the lawmaker complained. “That’s just wrong. I mean, it’s just glaringly wrong. There is active scientific debate among scientists

“It can’t be determined how much global warming is caused by human burning of fossil fuels,”

he continued. “It’s just, on the face of it, wrong. If you see something wrong, why tie teachers hands to debate one side of a debate?”

“You’re indoctrinating the kids to learn one side of a legitimate scientific debate,” he remarked.

“The climate does change. We have an ice age every hundred thousand years or so. It takes 10,000 years to get out of an ice age — about 10,000 years — and we happen to be enjoying a period of global warming.”

“If I was talking to you about 10,000 years ago, we’d be under a half mile of ice right night now,” Piscopo added. “So, thank God for global warming.”

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/05/during-debate-over-science-standards-connecticut-republican-blurts-out-thank-god-for-global-warming/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaig n=Feed%3A+TheRawStory+%28The+Raw+Story%29

Repugs are 2-bit s to the oligarchy, have no shame, are ignorant as rocks.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the head of Donald Trump’s planned climate review panel had this to say about the climate crisis: “The demonization of carbon dioxide is just like the demonization of the poor Jews under Hitler.”

there are more important factors that shape Happer’s reasoning.

Millions of them.

As in the millions that have come from the fossil-fuel billionaires Robert and Rebekah Mercer to fund Happer and his anti-science pogrom.

the Mercers funded both Happer’s one-man “advocacy group” and a super PAC controlled by John Bolton.

Then, when Trump brought Bolton into the Cabinet,

it was Bolton who pulled in Happer to head up efforts to destroy the planet’s future.

The Mercers have to be genuinely happy with their investments.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2019/5/28/1860850/-Trump-s-climate-chief-compares-Jews-to-carbon-dioxide-as-Pompeo-looks-for-lebensraum-in-the-Arctic?detail=emaildkre

the oligarchy's billionaires staffing the Trash/Repug kakistocracy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Record-Breaking Heat in Alaska Wreaks Havoc on Communities and Ecosystems
    Abnormally high temperatures have led to unsafe travel conditions, uncertain ecological futures and even multiple deaths

Read more: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...wxhroe0tI5V.99
    Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12! http://bit.ly/1cGUiGv
    Follow us: smithsonianMag on Twitter

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...tems-180972317

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Companies See Climate Change Hitting Their Bottom Lines in the Next 5 Years

Many of the world’s biggest companies, from Silicon Valley tech firms to large European banks, are bracing for the prospect that climate change could substantially affect their bottom lines within the next five years, according to a new analysis of corporate disclosures.

Under pressure from shareholders and regulators, companies are increasingly disclosing the specific financial impacts they could face as the planet warms,

such as extreme weather that could disrupt their supply chains or

stricter climate regulations that could hurt the value of coal, oil and gas investments.

Early estimates suggest that
    trillions of dollars may ultimately be at stake.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/04/c...mate&smtyp=cur

The concern is about money, not dead people, not collapse and loss of flora and fauna forever. Just ing Capitalist money.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump Admin’s CO2 Champion Intervened To Quash Testimony On Climate Crisis

A top White House official who has championed the environmental benefits of carbon dioxide

apparently intervened to quash scientific research on the coming climate crisis.

The Washington Post and New York Times reported Saturday that the Trump administration

refused to allow written testimony from a State Department Bureau of Intelligence and Research analyst about the “possibly catastrophic” effects of climate change to be entered into the congressional record last week.

Happer — a 79-year-old physics PhD and star of the right-wing pro-carbon-dioxide movement — wrote extensive comments on analyst Rod Schoonover’s drafted written testimony on the national security implications of climate change.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/w...+%28TPMNews%29

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Following Trump's Executive Order, EPA Moves to Limit States' Ability to Block Dirty Energy Projects

"Not a day goes by where [EPA] doesn't do *something* to endanger your health."

In just the latest move by the Trump administration to expand dirty energy infrastructure no matter the cost to the climate and public health,

the Environmental Protection Agency on Friday issued a new guidance that limits the ability of states and tribes to block permits for proposed projects such as fossil fuel pipelines.

The guidance is specifically about Clean Water Act (CWA) Section 401, which empowers state and tribal governments to "certify" projects permitted at the federal level by the Army Corps of Engineers, EPA, or Federal Energy Regulatory Commission.

The guidance aims to restrict the scope of state and tribal certifications, and force the local governments to issue decisions more quickly.

certification reviews and decisions—including any requested modifications to comply with federal, state, or tribal laws—"be limited to an evaluation of potential water quality impacts."

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/06/07/following-trumps-executive-order-epa-moves-limit-states-ability-block-dirty-energy?cd-origin=rss

Trash and Repugs know their "pro quo" will bring them many $100Ms of BigCarbon "quid" campaign money, lobbying gifts.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Arctic Permafrost Melting 70 Years Sooner Than Expected

unusually warm summers in the Canadian High Arctic between 2003 and 2016 resulted in permafrost melt up to 240% higher than previous years.

the three areas of melting permafrost studied in remote northern Canada are believed to have been frozen for thousands of years.

“This change is unprecedented on this kind of time scale,”

As permafrost disappears, it creates what's known as thermokarst, a sinking landscape often pockmarked with lakes, holes and mounds. In one area the researchers studied, the ground sank about three feet

"There are these troughs of up to 90 centimeters (about 35 inches). It's kind of like the elevation of a kitchen countertop. There are small ponds in many of these troughs. It’s quite a profound change.”

Vegetation never before seen in the area is also creeping in.

exacerbates the problem by exposing thawing biological material to the atmosphere where it decomposes and releases CO2, a key element in global warming.

Research has also shown that loss of permafrost can wreak havoc on everything from animal habitat, migration and diet in the wild to agriculture and infrastructure in populated areas.

“Locally, these changes, they affect the vegetation, the ecology, the hydrology,” Farquharson explained. “It’s kind of a canary in the coal mine situation I would say."

https://weather.com/science/environment/news/2019-06-14-permafrost-melting-sooner

the planet and human civilization is so unstoppably, irreversibly ed!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Greenland lost 2 billion tons of ice this week, which is very unusual

Over 40% of Greenland experienced melting Thursday, with total ice loss estimated to be more than 2 gigatons (equal to 2 billion tons) on just that day alone.

This much melting this early in the summer could be a bad sign, indicating 2019 could once again set records for the amount of Greenland ice loss.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/14/us/greenland-sudden-ice-melt-wxc/index.html

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "the US military is doing its own thing.

They've taken the security implications of a rapidly changing climate into account for over a decade,

view it as a serious threat, and are preparing accordingly.

What's The Twist?

In a fascinating case of doublethink,

the US Department of Defense (in the course of spending half the federal budget)

uses more oil than any other ins ution in the world,

generating more carbon emissions than the entire countries of Sweden and Denmark.

Since 2001, the

DOD has pumped out 1.2 billion metric tons of greenhouse gases

— the biggest chunk coming from the War on Terror.

https://thecompost.io/articles/the-war-machine

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With More Storms and Rising Seas, Which U.S. Cities Should Be Saved First?

As disaster costs keep rising nationwide, a troubling new debate has become urgent:

If there’s not enough money to protect every coastal community from the effects of human-caused global warming,

how should we decide which ones to save first?

there is growing consensus among policymakers and scientists that

coastal areas will require significant spending to ride out future storms and rising sea levels —

not in decades, but now and in the very near future.

There is also a growing realization that some communities, even sizable ones, will be left behind.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/19/climate/seawalls-cities-cost-climate-change.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

oof

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

oof
    Funny thing- this summer...so far at least *knocks on wood*...has been much cooler than the previous 10 summers here locally. Whatever the cause, I'll take it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Funny thing- this summer...so far at least *knocks on wood*...has been much cooler than the previous 10 summers here locally. Whatever the cause, I'll take it.
    You still in Cali? It's hot af here in the hill country of Texas.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

oof
    One ambiguous study that you didn't read.

More evidence for the OP.

Thanks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One ambiguous study that you didn't read.

More evidence for the OP.

Thanks.
    You're welcome : )

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wow, those guys came up with climate sensitivity at 0.24 degrees celsius for a doubling of CO2... thats dramatically lower than just about any other study. as they even acknowledge, most research indicate sensitive between a range of 2 and 5 degrees Celsius. they're at 10% of the lower end of that spectrum, which is quite the anomaly.

the claims are also oddly simplistic. we can draw a strong correlation between cloud cover and temperature, and therefore anthropogenic climate change can't exist. i've never read a peer reviewed paper that had such simplistic analysis

accordingly, no surprise it has not been peer reviewed yet.
    Last edited by spurraider21; 07-12-2019 at 05:11 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Nice informative watch (5minutes)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    PragerU informative? heh

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Modern Climate Change Is the Only Worldwide Warming Event of the Past 2,000 Years

New research finds that previous periods of warming and cooling driven by natural causes were regional shifts in temperature rather than global events

Mount Bromo erupting in Indonesia.

Prior to 20th century industrialization, volcanoes were a primary driver of regional temperature changes over timescales of two or three decades, one of the studies found.

the only time in the past 2,000 years that nearly all of the Earth has undergone significant warming or cooling is the present period of change that began in the 20th century,

The rate of warming was also higher during the second half of the 20th century than during any similar period of the past 2,000 years,

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/modern-climate-change-only-worldwide-warming-event-past-2000-years-180972719/?utm_source=smithsoniandaily&utm_medium=email&utm_ campaign=20190724-daily-responsive&spMailingID=40276367&spUserID=NjY0ODU0N TQ2Mzk1S0&spJobID=1562034639&spReportId=MTU2MjAzND YzOQS2

Thread Information