Page 185 of 210 FirstFirst ... 85135175181182183184185186187188189195 ... LastLast
Results 4,601 to 4,625 of 5238
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    World Gone Wrong:

an Environmental Diary of 2019

+ Ryan Zinke, under investigation for trying to enrich himself in office, refused to step down from his post at the Interior Department until he could have a Christmas party with lobbyists and take pictures in front of a stuffed polar bear…

+ Zinke’s greed was largely personal. His likely replacement David Bernahrdt, a former lobbyist for the fossil fuel industry, will dutifully feed the greed of the shareholders of big oil and coal.

+ There are fewer North Atlantic Right Whales left in the world than sitting members of Congress. They may well go extinct in our lifetimes.

+ According to a new study by Columbia University’s Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory, climate change has made the Western megadrought (the worst in at least 500 years) 38 percent more severe, leading to record low flows in Colorado River and dwindling reservoirs behind Glen Canyon and Hoover Dams.

+ The Arctic is now warming so quickly that 14,000 tons of melted iceis gushing into the oceans every second.

+ “He’s a vampire, babe, sucking blood from the Earth, sell you twenty barrels worth….”

+ Blood on the Tracks: Last week a female wolf, weighing only 70 pounds, was shot by a “hunter” on the plains of northeastern Montana (nearly 300 miles from the Rocky Mountains), where wolves haven’t been seen in many years.
    + After three years of decline, carbon emissions in the US rose by 3.4 percent in 2018.

+ After two weeks of mayhem, with off-roaders chopping down rare Joshua Trees, palms and yuccas, the Park Service finally closed Joshua Tree National Park to public entry. They should close them all. And use the government shutdown to Rest the West by ending logging on the National Forests and getting the damn cows and oil derricks off of BLM lands.

+ The government isn’t the only thing shutting down. So is the planet…Ecologist Scott Lister has found that over the last 35 years 98% of ground insect species in Puerto Rico have been extirpated.

+ The Rio Grande is shriveling. It’s not a drought. It’s the future…

+ A new report from Harvard’s Center for Climate, Health and the Global Environment argues that Trump’s replacement for Obama’s climate is “worse than doing nothing.” Of course, “doing nothing” was the Obama Climate Plan.

+ Top 5 warmest annual global temperatures since at least 1891, according to the Japan Meteorological Agency:
    1. 2016
    2. 2015
    3. 2017
    4. 2018
    5. 2014

+ What will they call “permafrost” when it’s no longer permanent?

+ How do you define sextupled?
    Antarctic ice loss in 1979: 40 billion tons per year.
    Antarctic ice loss in 2017: 252 billion tons per year.

The state of Idaho just put out a $200,000 bounty on the state’s wolves. It’s time to put the wolf killers on permanent furlough.

+ Barbara Ehrenreich: “If I had a gun and knew how to use it, my first target would be the fiends who’ve been destroying Joshua Trees in the eponymous park. The rest of you bas s can wait.”

+ Australia is sweltering under some of its hottest days ever recorded. The death count is rising, especially among bats. During a November blast of heat, flying fox bats started falling from the trees. In just two days, more than a third of the nation’s flying fox bat population perished. Mass die offs can happen fast.

+ A new study from ecologists at the University of Wisconsin predicts that Yellowstone’s forests may be replaced almost entirely by grasslands within the next 30 years. Among other dire consequences for the ecosystem, this climate-driven transition will mean the extinction of the Yellowstone grizzly, which depends on white bark pine seeds as an essential source of protein.

+ A record number of private jets landed in Davos this week to attend the Climate Summit. Why? Because their carbon don’t stink…

+ If Trump succeeds in shutting down airports coast-to-coast, even for only a few days, he’ll have done more to combat Catastrophic Climate Change than all other presidents combined.

+ The Himalayan glaciers are in rapid retreat. They are the principle water source for more than a billion people and three nations armed with nuclear weapons.

+ Lake Foul became a “dead pool” the moment they closed the floodgates at Glen Canyon Dam…

... etc etc, for the rest of 2019

https://www.counterpunch.org/2020/01...diary-of-2019/

What happened in Joshua Tree park without enforcment was directly from the novel Lord of the Flies

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    AUSTRALIA WAKE UP! - FREE THE WATER! ARREST THE GOVERNMENT! - OR DIE - MAKE THIS VIRAL!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Australia Slaughtering 10,000 Camels To Combat Global Warming

https://www.westernjournal.com/austr...lobal-warming/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Australia is the biggest exporter of coal, and is run by climate-denying conservatives, of course

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    **** ALERT! ALERT!!!! *** YOU CAN SAVE AUSTRALIA IF YOU MAKE THIS VIRAL *****

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    **** ALERT! ALERT!!!! *** YOU CAN SAVE AUSTRALIA IF YOU MAKE THIS VIRAL *****
    "jew engineering"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    AUSTRALIAN FIRES - AN EMERGENCY MESSAGE FROM YOUR GOVERNMENT - MAKE VIRAL! MAKE VIRAL! MAKE VIRAL!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    THIS IS WARMING THE PLANET EVEN FASTER THAN CARBON DIOXIDE

one of the main culprits is black carbon,
    particles in the air that arise from burning forests, diesel engines and coal pollution. But black carbon isn’t just a problem for those near forest fires or diesel-choked highways.

it’s widely considered to be the second-largest culprit when it comes to climate change, after CO2.

A 2013 study of the substance found that black carbon is responsible for 1.1 watts of extra energy being stored in the atmosphere per meter of the Earth’s surface.

By comparison, CO2 is responsible for an estimated 1.56 watts per square meter.

Black carbon is formed via an incomplete process of combustion.

About half the planet’s black carbon is traced to burning fossil fuels, including coal, and the other half is from burning biomass like wildfires or agricultural razing.

Apart from its polluting effects — the particles can settle in human lungs, causing respiratory diseases and other health problems — black carbon absorbs rays from the sun and converts it to heat, warming the planet with alarming efficiency.

That’s particularly disastrous for icy landscapes like the Arctic and Antarctica:

When black carbon settles on snow and ice, it heats the surface and melts them even faster.

The Arctic is currently thought to be warming twice as fast as the global average.

https://www.ozy.com/news-and-politic..._content=Final

The Planet is ed and Un able

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where nitrous oxide, a greenhouse gas 300-times stronger than CO2, is being emitted

If something is burning, nitrous oxide is flowing into the atmosphere.

Increasingly, the most concentrated nitrous oxide sources come from humans burning fossil fuels and transforming ecosystems.

As a greenhouse gas, it gets less attention than carbon dioxide, accounting for just 6% of all emissions in 2017.

But it’s a major factor intensifying climate change:

NOx, as the gas is known, lasts for a century and is far more potent.

It is nearly
    300 times stronger than carbon dioxide at trapping heat.

https://qz.com/1745204/maps-of-nitrous-oxide-emissions-a-potent-greenhouse-gas/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=daily-brief

No worries, people.

Capitalism and Free Markets will solve, with the perfect solution, the environmental, planetary catastrophe.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Geoengineering: The real climate threat

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    james corbett as a source of scientific authority??

all the scientific research points to CO2 as a key driver of climate

but james corbett says its a 3rd rate scientific hoax so thats that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "silver iodide when studied in labs is a different story all together and is indeed toxic and dangerous.

There are other studies showing that silver iodide is toxic especially to fish and wildlife.

This particular study is quoted as stating that

“repeated exposure of animals to silver might produce anemia, cardiac enlargement, growth re ation, and degenerative changes in the liver.”

silver iodide is not shown to be toxic for humans but it does show an ac ulation in fish."

https://www.citywatchla.com/index.ph...to-your-health

China should rather stop building 100s of coal fired electricity plants in China and around the planet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Australia Slaughtering 10,000 Camels To Combat Global Warming

https://www.westernjournal.com/austr...lobal-warming/
    Could I get that in a tweet form? Come on man, you're slipping. Twitterbating hand tired?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The 2010s were officially the hottest decade on record

It's official: Last year was the world's second hottest on record, and 2010-2019 was the hottest decade ever recorded.

Why it matters: The findings, published in two separate reports by NOAA and the British weather service the Met Office Wednesday, are in line with those of research group Berkeley Earth, revealed at the start of the year. It's yet more evidence of the long-term warming trend that stems from human-induced greenhouse gas emissions.
    https://www.axios.com/2010s-hottest-...d74e46241.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Could I get that in a tweet form? Come on man, you're slipping. Twitterbating hand tired?
    ^ imagine getting triggered by tweets on a forum

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spy Satellite Images Uncover Staggering Mount Everest Ice Loss

New analysis shows the extent of ice reduction in glaciers in the Himalayas.

The glaciers surrounding Mount Everest have lost far more ice than once thought, declassified spy satellite photos have revealed.

From 1962 to 2018, the glaciers along Mount Everest's flanks had shrunk significantly from the top down,

As Earth warms, many glaciers' outermost boundaries visibly retreat and expose the rock underneath, so it's easy to spot where ice has been lost.

For the new investigation, the scientists sought a missing piece of the puzzle:

how loss of ice might affect a glacier's height, Bolch told Live Science. They found the first signs of significantly reduced ice dating back to the 1960s.

"When we now look at the entire area, we see a clear increase in mass loss while it was in the period of 1962 to 1969, around 20 centimeters [8 inches] per year,"

Rongbuk and Khumbu glaciers, where Everest base camps are located, had thinned by more than 260 feet (80 meters) over 60 years,

while Imja glacier lost more than 300 feet (100 m) of ice during the same timespan.

The researchers also found that ice loss sped up in recent decades, with the acceleration beginning in the 1980s,

the region's supply of stored fresh water is draining away quicker than computer models have predicted.

https://www.livescience.com/melting-...6JkNPHec19HHHm

Bs of people depend on the rivers fed by Himalayan melt water.

... just more FACTS for you AGW denier pricks to ignore.

btw, the AGW planetary catastrophe is accelerating AND unstoppable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What Is Really Happening In Australia? - David Icke

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hilarious bull

This Is Our Last Decade to Get Climate Right

"Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change
    warned in October 2018 that we have 12 years to keep global temperatures increases at 1.5 degrees Celsius or less.

Now, we have more like 10 years.
    We have this decade.

https://truthout.org/articles/this-is-our-last-decade-to-get-climate-right/

The predatory, avaricious Capitalists of BigOil, carbon energy still have $Ts to pocket. They are unstoppable

the truthout article itself shows how BigOil s up climate conferences, up everything and anyone who just talks about just slowing the catastrophe.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump blasts 'prophets of doom' in attack on climate activism

He said he was “a big believer in the environment”

in a speech that ensured he was absent from Washington as impeachment hearings took place on Capitol Hill.

“The environment to me is very important,” he said.

Trump boasted that this support for the coal and oil industries meant the US was self-sufficient in energy.

the president swore he wanted “the cleanest water and the cleanest air,”

despite his administration’s record of
    weakening air and water protections.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/jan/21/trump-climate-1tn-trees-davos

Trash's Exec branch has done EVERYTHING it can to pollute air, water, wetlands, permit coal ash, and no doubt the same detruction will continue in 2020.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    why would she visit ecuador? what's their contribution in CO2 emissions either total or per capita compared to the the rest of the world? what kind of influence can ecuador have in an international effort compared to powerhouses like the US and China?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chevron wins Ecuador rainforest 'oil dumping' case

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-45455984

Texaco/Chevron s up a country then lawyers its escape unpunished

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ECONOMISTS’ STATEMENT ON CARBON DIVIDENDS

SIGNATORIES INCLUDE

3558 U.S. Economists

4 Former Chairs of the Federal Reserve (All)

27 Nobel Laureate Economists

15 Former Chairs of the Council of Economic Advisers

https://clcouncil.org/economists-statement/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Banksters Warn of Green Swan Collapse Unless They Get A Carbon Tax - #NewWorldNextWeek

Thread Information