Page 190 of 210 FirstFirst ... 90140180186187188189190191192193194200 ... LastLast
Results 4,726 to 4,750 of 5243
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That would certainly relieve you of the burden that comes from knowing they confessed their beliefs, their armor of god, their call to action from God.

You moved the goalpost. I have no reason to consider leftwing poster B's misdirection anything but what it is, and you've skipped a few posters in your declaration of "fold".
    nah, you can keep whining about the goalposts but its been the same for a few days now
    his point was that people in government use pseudoscience to justify inaction re: climate change and your rebuttal was "well the other side believes in god too"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nah, you can keep whining about the goalposts but its been the same for a few days now
    My point to your client was that religious people use mysticism to justify a lot of things. Pseudoscience is a step up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's the one who said it.
    Not disagreeing with that, just pointing out you can fit pretty much whatever you want under the mantra of 'this is what God would've wanted'.

“We put on the full armor of God so that we can stand our ground when we take on the rulers, the authorities, and the powers of this dark world.” -K Gillibrand
    Case in point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is Religion Pseudoscience?
    A review of the Special Divine Action Conference in Oxford
    Posted July 31, 2014

A pseudoscience is a set of beliefs or practices that pretends at being science—that puts forth evidence and arguments which it says are scientifically sound, but in fact are not. Pseudoscientists argue in support of new fundamental forces (e.g., Rupert Sheldrake’s morphic resonance) and even en ies (e.g., ancient aliens). The TV show Ghost Hunters is a prime example; they even have instruments—like voice recorders, EM meters, laser thermometers (and deluxe carrying cases)—which seem scientific, but of course do nothing to detect ghosts. But all pseudosciences have one thing in common: The arguments and reasoning they put forth violate basic rules of scientific reasoning....

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...-pseudoscience

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My point to your client was that religious people use mysticism to justify a lot of things. Pseudoscience is a step up.
    RG's point was that conservatives use pseudoscience the justify policy, specifically. you tried to play the "both sides" game but have yet to demonstrate how "the left" uses religion (or any pseudoscience) to justify any particular policy(ies)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not disagreeing with that, just pointing out you can fit pretty much whatever you want under the mantra of 'this is what God would've wanted'.

Case in point.
    Of course, but the discussion is about pseudoscience and I contend that religion is rife with it. Since religion isn't exclusive to one political party, then there are prominent folks on both sides of the isle who have the stench of pseudoscience on their breaths.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RG's point was that conservatives use pseudoscience the justify policy, specifically. you tried to play the "both sides" game but have yet to demonstrate how "the left" uses religion (or any pseudoscience) to justify any particular policy(ies)
    So espousing belief in demons, angels and deities, magical afterlife destinations and edicts from the prime mover, that's all just what exactly?

"Yeah I believe in Santa too but I don't leave milk and cookies out!"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course, but the discussion is about pseudoscience and I contend that religion is rife with it. Since religion isn't exclusive to one political party, then there are prominent folks on both sides of the isle who have the stench of pseudoscience on their breaths.
    Sorry, was just commenting on that individual quote, I'm not following the rest of the argument here.

Please proceed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry, was just commenting on that individual quote, I'm not following the rest of the argument here.

Please proceed.
    Thanks left poster C..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks left poster C..
    I mean, I dunno what's going on but I can catch up and opine if you think it's worthwhile.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean, I dunno what's going on but I can catch up and opine if you think it's worthwhile.
    No I'm taking the piss.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see the argument now...

Here are a good examples of the left using pseudoscience:

- Anti-vaccine. This movement was now co-opted by the conspira s, but originally was pushed by the likes of Jenny McCarthy and some of the left-leaning Hollywood types.

- Anti-GMO. 100% pseudoscience. Had a political impact.

- Astrology and 'self-healing'... more pseudoscience.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see the argument now...

Here are a good examples of the left using pseudoscience:

- Anti-vaccine. This movement was now co-opted by the conspira s, but originally was pushed by the likes of Jenny McCarthy and some of the left-leaning Hollywood types.

- Anti-GMO. 100% pseudoscience. Had a political impact.

- Astrology and 'self-healing'... more pseudoscience.
    there's an almost endless list of ty practices that qualify as a pseudoscience, ionic bracelets, magnet therapy, chiropractors.. all that . But I am talking specifically about a core fundamental belief system that drives morality based decisions. Probably half or more of those who claim the pseudoscience angle against global warming have a dog in the hunt and are financially bent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    there's an almost endless list of ty practices that qualify as a pseudoscience, ionic bracelets, magnet therapy, chiropractors.. all that . But I am talking specifically about a core fundamental belief system that drives morality based decisions. Probably half or more of those who claim the pseudoscience angle against global warming have a dog in the hunt and are financially bent.
    I dunno about that. The simplest argument you can make about climate change is that, all things being equal, policies that try to help subside climate change are more desirable over those that make climate change worse. And this isn't a moral proposition, it's just a logical one.

The core counter-argument I hear against fighting climate change is also not moral, but strictly economic. It's the jobs and the fossil fuel industry, etc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So espousing belief in demons, angels and deities, magical afterlife destinations and edicts from the prime mover, that's all just what exactly?

"Yeah I believe in Santa too but I don't leave milk and cookies out!"
    do you know what secularism is?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    do you know what secularism is?
    Of course. Wasn't it some slave owner who started that ?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course. Wasn't it some slave owner who started that ?
    more non sequitur

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stop acting like a and you might get a decent response. I knew what secularism was before you were born, or did you think it came along with the MP3?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stop acting like a and you might get a decent response. I knew what secularism was before you were born, or did you think it came along with the MP3?
    then why do you act otherwise? you play dumb then get mad when you are treated as though you are dumb

on its own, the claim that "but the left believes in god" is a meaningless retort to RG's position, because it wouldn't matter if they acted in a secular manner (which "the left" tends to do, which as i said, is among the reasons i lean that way). for your whataboutism to even be valid, you'd have to demonstrate that they justify some policy positions (ideally to your argument, stupid policies) on those belief systems.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    then why do you act otherwise? you play dumb then get mad when you are treated as though you are dumb

on its own, the claim that "but the left believes in god" is a meaningless retort to RG's position, because it wouldn't matter if they acted in a secular manner (which "the left" tends to do, which as i said, is among the reasons i lean that way). for your whataboutism to even be valid, you'd have to demonstrate that they justify some policy positions (ideally to your argument, stupid policies) on those belief systems.
    I didn't use that claim.

RG didn't mention religious reasons for climate change denial. He mentioned pseudoscience. Religious folk embrace pseudoscience. In fact, the left notoriously embraces pseudoscience, just a different type than the right embraces. You're the one who went looking for a "gotheem" moment without even understanding the point I was making. Par the course for you Philo. Pages later you still haven't a clue.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't use that claim.

RG didn't mention religious reasons for climate change denial. He mentioned pseudoscience. Religious folk embrace pseudoscience. In fact, the left notoriously embraces pseudoscience, just a different type than the right embraces. You're the one who went looking for a "gotheem" moment without even understanding the point I was making. Par the course for you Philo. Pages later you still haven't a clue.
    was your literal response
    What is funny to me though, is that the entire purpose of this thread is to expose pseudoscientific bull , and failed reasoning on the part of people who want to take the policy position that we should not do anything about climate change because it either isn't real or would have some unbearable burden on the economy.

Neither of those things is, in fact, true.

The only way you can support those beliefs is with failures of reasoning.

Every time your childish ass refuses to evaluate your own thinking, you prove my point.

Suck it.
    Dem leaders/GOP leaders... all believe in invisible sky daddy.

Talk more about pseudoscientific bull .
    im bored at this point. i can tell you are too given your random non sequiturs like brining up secular slaveowners as some attempted dig

and all this just so you can have a proper whataboutism... which would still be a whataboutism given the subject of this thread

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That would certainly relieve you of the burden that comes from knowing they confessed their beliefs, their armor of god, their call to action from God.

You moved the goalpost. I have no reason to consider leftwing poster B's misdirection anything but what it is, and you've skipped a few posters in your declaration of "fold".
    The goalpost was "name a specific 'left' policy that was driven by religion.

Your dumb ass was asked this repeatedly, and you failed to do so.

"honest broker" fail

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pseudoscience is very often dressing up mysticism in fancy science-y words, i.e. Intelligent Design

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not just a lexical problem, is that trying to dress up religion as science is simply not possible, due to science requiring testability.

Religious constructs like God or Christ do not define parameters that let them proceed to the empirical hypothesis state, making them simply not science.

That doesn't mean religion is worthless or useless, it can have some form of utilitarian value at a personal level for some people, and that's great.

However, the addition of religion to areas that affect a mul ude of people (ie: politics, war, etc) tends to have a horrible effect.

Creates division, fanaticism, the attempt to impose a given set of arbitrary moral rules... really a show.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That doesn't mean religion is worthless or useless,
    a fundamental "use" of Religion is giving men the power to oppress women, to define them as inferior to men.

Thread Information