Page 173 of 210 FirstFirst ... 73123163169170171172173174175176177183 ... LastLast
Results 4,301 to 4,325 of 5238
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    methane is a more potent greenhouse gas than CO2. and when looking at realistic ways to scale back greenhouse gases, its probably a lot easier to ween us off our beef dependance than car dependence, for example. its an achievable goal that will make a difference, tbh, which is why it makes sense to focus there

cows and humans have very different diets and digestive systems. humans dont produce methane the way cows do. did you really think the composition of how farts/belches are the same as humans?
    Do we need to kill off all the farting herbivores or just the cows?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

cows and humans have very different diets and digestive systems. humans dont produce methane the way cows do.

what does this have to do with anything?

If we were all vegan, humans would produce much more methane.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And all that methane from permafrost melt -- it's from vegetation that predates the industrial revolution. It's like the earth's climate changed or something. No vehicles required.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no need to kill any off. there's pretty good evidence that naturally occurruing methane production is virtually completely offset by natural methane sinks. at this point i'm content to start with livestock farming.

If we were all vegan, humans would produce much more methane.
    any increase would be negligible compared to the amount we'd decrease from livestock farming. we're simply different creatures with different digestive systems. vegans aren't going to live off grass. its the microbes that help cows digest grass which are creating the methane.

And all that methane from permafrost melt -- it's from vegetation that predates the industrial revolution. It's like the earth's climate changed or something. No vehicles required.
    nobody ever said that methane/CO2 can only come from artificial sources. this is a nonstop strawman i hear from this crowd. "HURR DURR THERE WERE NO SUV'S MILLIONS OF YEARS AGO"

there is an existing cycle where methane is created by some sources and absorbed by others (see the very top of my response here, to snakeboy). consider pouring water from a faucet into a pasta strainer. sure you can keep filling water, but the strainer also keeps releasing. now if instead of your sink faucet, you start dumping 5 gallon buckets of water into the pasta strainer, it will overflow, because you are grossly changing one side of the equation.

the methane being exposed from permafrost is a huge deal. as stated before, methane is a much more potent greenhouse gas than CO2. it hasn't been the primary culprit because methane emission totals pale in comparison to CO2 emissions. but if we start getting big increases in methane production from soil exposed beneath permafrost, that's a big deal (regardless of how that methane was originally produced). we are still the ones causing the permafrost to give way to the methane emissions, further tilting the balance (aka positive feedback loop)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What made the permafrost melt?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no need to kill any off. there's pretty good evidence that naturally occurruing methane production is virtually completely offset by natural methane sinks. at this point i'm content to start with livestock farming.
    Well in that case what if we just replace cows with a non domesticated animal like bison. Their farts would be natural so nature would gobble them up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Confess.....sinners

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/special...hange-n1054791

Not like a religion or anything.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Confess.....sinners

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/special...hange-n1054791

Not like a religion or anything.
    You think there are only religious confessions?

who forwarded that link to you?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    who forwarded that link to you?
    your mom

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well in that case what if we just replace cows with a non domesticated animal like bison. Their farts would be natural so nature would gobble them up.
    where did i say anything about "domesticated"

bison would still be considered livestock. farming bison instead of cows wouldn't be a solution.

if you actually want to talk about it, how about posting something other than quips

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The timeline.

Climate is not changing———> climate can change and has done so *enter iceages*—————> Climate is changing————> climate is changing rapidly but has done so in the past *enter volcanoes* —————> climate is changing but our role is minimal——————-> climate is changing rapidly and we do contribute *enter nothing we can do now*

methane production becomes cow farting therefore draining off methane into the air at wells is just fine.

Completely ignore how we now understand and have disrupted acid rain and Ozone depletion thereby changing the climate (albeit on a smaller scale). Putting scrubbers in coal burning plants and limiting CFCs were horrible drags on the economy.

Oh.
    The blue team has its record on ignoring issues as well as overstating them. Some press does have a penchant for taking worse case models and intensifying them. Accomplished by both teams.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The planet runs on carbon energy and oil-derived products.

Even if carbon were zeroed from today,

the anthropocene's AGW climate catastrophe would continue

15,000 Scientists: Climate Change Is Already Past The Point Of No Return

https://cleantechnica.com/2017/11/14...ed-scientists/

Greta and the youth marchers? enjoy your 3-day weekend.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    She's dead. Got any other elementary school lines?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    if you actually want to talk about it, how about posting something other than quips
    The quips show how afraid they are to actually talk about it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is one of those " light switch" processes I have been trying to explain to you for a decade. Of course it has nothing to do with vehicles, but if the warming we have caused warms that the millions of squarebmile of permafrost you get a sudden massive warming feedback loop.
    30 degrees... No problem.
    33 degrees... Problem.

This is the kind of thing I meant when I said better to not change things substantially without knowing the consequences.

It like watching some one poking a sleeping bear with a sharp stick and telling them the bear might wake up and eat them. "This bear has been asleep for as long as I have seen it. "
    "This bear was awake in the past and didn't hurt me."
    "Quit being an alarmist'

Smh
    Last edited by RandomGuy; 09-20-2019 at 10:34 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    where did i say anything about "domesticated"

bison would still be considered livestock. farming bison instead of cows wouldn't be a solution.

Do we have to kill the existing bison herds then?

A lot of effort has been put into restoring native grasslands and to restoring the bison herds as well. Do we have to stop that or will you allow us to continue forward?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Oh, a quip.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The planet runs on carbon energy and oil-derived products.

Even if carbon were zeroed from today,

the anthropocene's AGW climate catastrophe would continue

15,000 Scientists: Climate Change Is Already Past The Point Of No Return

https://cleantechnica.com/2017/11/14...ed-scientists/

Greta and the youth marchers? enjoy your 3-day weekend.
    And here is Mr. fckd and unfckble with 25 years ago...

Give me all your money, the world is at an end.

We most likely will survive this. Its gonna cost a lot of money as ariable land changes place (farming becomes erratic) and seashores get redefined.
    Starvation and water shortages more likely as existing infrastructure for moving food and water is not gonna handle it.
    We put the deficit off to grow out of it, same mentality.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do we have to kill the existing bison herds then?

A lot of effort has been put into restoring native grasslands and to restoring the bison herds as well. Do we have to stop that or will you allow us to continue forward?
    asked and answered

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Trying to distract from 90,000,000 head of cattle with 31,000 bison.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So it's okay to restore bison populations to the 10's of millions and nature will gobble up their farts as long as we don't farm them?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So it's okay to restore bison populations to the 10's of millions and nature will gobble up their farts as long as we don't farm them?
    is that what's going to happen?

Thread Information