Page 195 of 210 FirstFirst ... 95145185191192193194195196197198199205 ... LastLast
Results 4,851 to 4,875 of 5238
    Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The record being set in 1913 is inconvenient.
    Inconvenient for whom?

Is Death Valley the only place temperature has been measured this year?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Inconvenient for whom?

Is Death Valley the only place temperature has been measured this year?

I agree that a single data point from a single location is not good evidence of any global trend.

That's why I mocked it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree that a single data point from a single location is not good evidence of any global trend.

That's why I mocked it.
    So would you say the global trend for average temperature since 1913 has been in the upward, downward or unchanged?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So would you say the global trend for average temperature since 1913 has been in the upward, downward or unchanged?
    Upward

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    congratulations, Darrin

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The record being set in 1913 is inconvenient.
    To whom?

If you look at one spot on the planet you find this inconvenient?
    I find it likely. I bet you can find another set before WWI.

Do you understand what AVERAGE is? World wide AVERAGE temperature?
    Do you understand we will set more record lows and highs but the AVERAGE can go up?

edit: Sorry already discussed

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DarrinS's soda straw view, though

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That's why I mocked it.
    You never did answer my question.

When would human caused climate change be a crisis?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Speaking of upward, sea levels are rising.

Guess how that is about to be made worse?

A 'wobble' in the moon's orbit could result in record flooding in the 2030s, new study finds
    Climate change has already increased the frequency and severity of hurricanes and other extreme weather events around the world. — But there's a smaller, less splashy threat on the horizon that could wreak havoc on America's coasts.

High-tide floods, also called "nuisance floods," occur in coastal areas when tides reach about 2 feet (0.6 meters) above the daily average high tide and begin to flood onto streets or seep through storm drains. True to their nickname, these floods are more of a nuisance than an outright calamity, inundating streets and homes, forcing businesses to close and causing cesspools to overflow — but the longer they last, the more damage they can do.

The U.S. experienced more than 600 of these floods in 2019, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). But now, a new study led by NASA warns that nuisance floods will become a much more frequent occurrence in the U.S. as soon as the 2030s, with a majority of the U.S. coastline expected to see three to four times as many high-tide flood days each year for at least a decade.

The study, published June 21 in the journal Nature Climate Change, warns that these extra flood days won't be spread out evenly over the year, but are likely to cluster together over the span of just a few months; coastal areas that now face just two or three floods a month may soon face a dozen or more.
    https://www.msn.com/en-gb/weather/to...nds/ar-AAM3qdU

The problem with "it doesn't effect me", is that actually it does, in a lot of ways, even if you don't live on the coast.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    question pending.

You assert there is no crisis.

People who know a lot more than you say there is.

Provide some support for business as usual, "nothing will happen".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the basic physics behind climate change was understood in the 19th century

https://phys.org/news/2021-07-physic...st-eunice.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And that has been driven by CO2 emissions from burning fossil fuels.

You trotted out the plateau in the last part of the aughts.

That was just the oceans absorbing the extra heat.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biden’s Climate Plans Are Stunted After Dejected Experts Fled Trump

Hundreds of scientists and policy experts left the government during the Trump administration.

The jobs remain unfilled six months into President Biden’s term.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/01/c...e-climate.html

Trash's destruction is so much easier than building, and the oligarchy loves that they can continue ing over the planet for profit without interference

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the ing gulf stream

The study, published in the journal Nature Climate Change, focuses on the Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation (AMOC), which includes the Gulf Stream. As the United Kingdom’s Met Office explains, it is “a large system of ocean currents that carry warm water from the tropics northwards into the North Atlantic,” like a conveyor belt.
    Previous research has shown AMOC weakening in recent centuries. The author of the new study, Niklas Boers of the Potsdam Ins ute of Climate Impact Research (PIK), found that this is likely related to a loss of stability.

“The Atlantic Meridional Overturning is one of our planet’s key circulation systems,” Boers, who is also affiliated with universities in the U.K. and Germany, said in a statement.

“We already know from some computer simulations and from data from Earth’s past, so-called paleoclimate proxy records, that the AMOC can exhibit—in addition to the currently attained strong mode—an alternative, substantially weaker mode of operation,” he continued. “This bi-stability implies that abrupt transitions between the two circulation modes are in principle possible.”

In the absence of long-term data on the current system’s strength, Boers looked at its “fingerprints,” sea-surface temperature and salinity patterns. He said that “a detailed analysis of these fingerprints in eight independent indices now suggests that the AMOC weakening during the last century is indeed likely to be associated with a loss of stability.”

“The findings support the assessment that the AMOC decline is not just a fluctuation or a linear response to increasing temperatures,” he continued, “but likely means the approaching of a critical threshold beyond which the circulation system could collapse.”
    https://www.commondreams.org/news/20...could-collapse

the study the clickbaity, doomy Common Dreams piece is based on: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41558-021-01097-4

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Abstract

The Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation (AMOC), a major ocean current system transporting warm surface waters toward the northern Atlantic, has been suggested to exhibit two distinct modes of operation. A collapse from the currently attained strong to the weak mode would have severe impacts on the global climate system and further multi-stable Earth system components. Observations and recently suggested fingerprints of AMOC variability indicate a gradual weakening during the last decades, but estimates of the critical transition point remain uncertain. Here, a robust and general early-warning indicator for forthcoming critical transitions is introduced. Significant early-warning signals are found in eight independent AMOC indices, based on observational sea-surface temperature and salinity data from across the Atlantic Ocean basin. These results reveal spatially consistent empirical evidence that, in the course of the last century, the AMOC may have evolved from relatively stable conditions to a point close to a critical transition.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    another controversial IPCC report. cue the denials and more cheap TINA nihilism

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    message seems to be that ecological catastrophe is running ahead of schedule and we're out of time to wait on solutions

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Twenty commercial firms are responsible for ~ 1/3 of global emissions. Changes in patterns of consumption percolating up from individuals won't do the trick.

https://www.theweek.co.uk/103719/which-are-the-the-20-firms-behind-one-third-of-carbon-emissions

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the IPCC assessment is correct, incremental change is the essence of irresponsibility. Radical change is needed without delay.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chicxalub

"To find a time when the level of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere changed this much this fast, you’d need to rewind 66 million years to the meteor that killed the dinosaurs."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    while the US emissions per capita is about as low as its been since 1918 or so, the atmosphere doesnt give a about per capita emissions. we squandered the opportunity to be at the forefront of renewables and could have spread that technology around the world. only way to get behemoths like china off fossil fuels is to have a more economically viable alternative, which renewables can be

our aversion to nuclear has also been quite a hindrance. while we have largely shifted from coal to natural gas, leading to decreases in emissions, natural gas is still pretty bad in the scheme of things. nuclear would have been a much better bridge to renewables

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    at a certain point degrowth will have to enter the conversation. constant growth in one direction is the ideology of the cancer cell.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    one of the biggest scams in recent history was trying to pawn this off on people, asking them to carpool, change thermostat settings, etc. this has to be done on an industrial and systemic level. our transition away from coal and toward natural gase, on its own, has contributed to a much larger decrease in emissions than auto fuel standards, for instance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    one of the biggest scams in recent history was trying to pawn this off on people, asking them to carpool, change thermostat settings, etc. this has to be done on an industrial level
    "reducing your carbon footprint"

Thread Information