My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Boxer Paul 'The Punisher' Williams likely paralyzed after wreck

ATLANTA -- In a decorated career in the boxing ring, Paul Williams picked up three belts and the nickname, "The Punisher." Now, Williams has a bigger fight ahead.

After a Sunday morning motorcycle crash near Atlanta, Williams is likely paralyzed from the waist down.

Manager George Peterson told News 12 that he's in the hospital with a surgery scheduled for Wednesday. That surgery will help to stabilize the healthy upper half of his spine by putting a protective wall around it.

Peterson said Williams went off the road trying to avoid another vehicle and was thrown from his motorcycle. He's conscious and alert in an Atlanta hospital, and his manager said his positive at ude is the same as it's been throughout his 12-year pro boxing career.

Williams was scheduled to fight Saul Alvarez for the WBC Light Middleweight le Sept. 15 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. That announcement was made just last week.

The product of the Aiken Boxing Club has a career record of 41-2-0, with 27 knockouts. He's the two-time holder of the WBO Welterweight championship and has held the WBO Light Middleweight belt once.
    http://www.wrdw.com/sports/headlines...155117385.html

Damn he was supposed to fight Canelo next too. First Tapia now PWill

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    What.

The.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    More details:

How did the accident exactly happen?:
    He was going to into this curb with this car that had the inside lane, Paul had the outside lane. Apparently the guy who was in the car was on his cell phone or something, but he drifted off into Paul's lane. Paul actually moved over to keep himself from hitting this car that was coming into his lane. Paul looked up and had this oncoming car coming down the road already. Paul said that if he didn't go completely across the roadway, he would have hit that oncoming car head on. He went completely across the roadway to keep from hitting this car head on, went down the embankment and when he came up he was about 60 feet in the air. The motorcycle went one way and he went the other. He must have flew airborne in the air about 100 feet. And when he came down, he came down on his back. And when he came down on his back, it severed his spinal cord.
    The extent of the injuries were then determined:
    When that happened, of course, after having MRIs and X-rays, it was determined that he wouldn't be able to have any body movements from the waist down because he had detached 90% of his spinal cord. So that other 10% left is what controls his upper body movement, his arms and his neck. So now what happens is, they are going to have surgery when the swelling goes down on his back to protect and stabilize that part of what's left of his spinal cord.
    Are the doctors saying there is absolutely no chance that Paul will walk again?
    No chance. No chance.
    How is Paul's mind state as far as coming to the realization that will never able to walk again and his boxing career will be over?
    Paul told me after I left the hospital room today....he said 'Pete, that means I'm going to have to do standup comedy again.' He said 'Pete, don't believe none of that stuff, I'll be back.' I was there for about eight hours yesterday and today.
    http://www.boxingscene.com/p-william...lo-more--53376

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    why are there so many tragic threads in the Other Sports forum

......................... mystargtr34's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seriously i was like WTF.. just saw this on the news..

That is terrible. I cant imagine the feeling having a doctor tell you you will never walk again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You guys are surprised someone with a motorcycle was in an accident?

Stupid people buying motorcycles should know better...

ridiculous to risk his career and life on a toy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information