My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's a War on Memorial Day!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's a War on Memorial Day!
    I agree, it is being waged by the veterans or those who support the veterans.

Also, I heard nothing in the clip regarding the meaning of memorial day.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    in Obama...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "hero" has been over-used, depleted of meaning, and applied to damn near everybody.

I don't consider some unemployable grunt suckered into the military primarily for the pay (not for God, Country, and The American Way) and getting killed in a phony war a "hero", he's justed a wasted life, a casualty.

DoD propaganda suckers kids, many of them poverty-stricken, no education, with no upward mobility, with the implicit or explicit lure becoming a "hero" and playing with super-hi-tech. aka, "cannon fodder"

With the proposal to allow Dod/CIA to commit PsyOps against Human-Americans coupled with the DoD already using Hollywood to spew pro-war propaganda, it as clear as ever that ...

The Business of America is War (War and Weapon$$ mongering)

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This guy is an asshole, but obama has nothing to do with this guys stupid opinion.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    running into bullets is not natural and doing it for your country is extremely heroic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "hero" has been over-used, depleted of meaning, and applied to damn near everybody.

I don't consider some unemployable grunt suckered into the military primarily for the pay (not for God, Country, and The American Way) and getting killed in a phony war a "hero", he's justed a wasted life, a casualty.

DoD propaganda suckers kids, many of them poverty-stricken, no education, with no upward mobility, with the implicit or explicit lure becoming a "hero" and playing with super-hi-tech. aka, "cannon fodder"

With the proposal to allow Dod/CIA to commit PsyOps against Human-Americans coupled with the DoD already using Hollywood to spew pro-war propaganda, it as clear as ever that ...

The Business of America is War (War and Weapon$$ mongering)
    you have evidence to back up that claim?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    i've seen recordings of recruitment thats very similar. no big deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with the host. I don't know what he said after that because it is cut off, but calling every fallen soldier a hero has some bad implications. It might not hit home to some people that they died fighting a stupid and unjust cause. It is the same reason I don't like that casualties aren't illustrated more oftenor at all. Sugar coating war is a bad thing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i've seen recordings of recruitment thats very similar. no big deal.
    i just would like to know where he gets the idea that "many" of them do it for that reason. It may be true, but I don't know. Personally, everyone that I know who is in the military is in it for other reasons that wanting to kill people and be a hero.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    a couple of years ago, I checked out Southwest High school play during football playoffs.

Outside was some kind of Go Army trailer with an Army video game system inside. Next to it was a souped up Hummer blasting music.

Plenty of high school kids hanging around it.

I've also seen that type of stuff down at South Padre during Spring Break

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    recruiters are under pressure. they have to "always be closing" or its back to the base.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    a couple of years ago, I checked out Southwest High school play.

Outside was some kind of Go Army trailer with an Army video game system inside. Next to it was a souped up Hummer blasting music.

That is anectdotal evidence. I want statistical evidence or surveys that show that many people are joining to hold a gun and be a hero.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Barring a military career being something you've always wanted, joining the military is probably the worst decision one could make.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That is anectdotal evidence. I want statistical evidence or surveys that show that many people are joining to hold a gun and be a hero.
    Or else what?

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    The host is being disingenuous. Memorial Day is a day of remembering the men and women who died while serving in the United States Armed Forces. It's pretty cut and dry. God bless

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Memorial Day is a day of remembering the men and women who died while serving in the United States Armed Forces. It's pretty cut and dry.
    Basically word for word what I was thinking.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    I have to agree with one of the comments on YouTube:

"I'm uncomfortable calling anyone at MSNBC a journalist. "

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The host is being disingenuous. Memorial Day is a day of remembering the men and women who died while serving in the United States Armed Forces. It's pretty cut and dry. God bless
    Did I miss something? I didn't hear him say anything about redefining what memorial day is about, I only heard him talk about his being uncomfortable with the wholsale redefinition of the word "Hero" to mean any person who died while in a combat zone.

I guess the way I heard it is Memorial day is for any person who died while in a combat zone, the word hero is not.

(also, thanks for your definition of memorial day, same way I define it too. That was kinda why I made the tongue in cheek comment about the veteran's war on memorial day.)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    a couple of years ago, I checked out Southwest High school play during football playoffs.

I started a thread here after witnessing such recruitment at SAC. They had a tent with video games (guitar ing hero) and playing with a rover. When I went to go watch the Avengers in theaters, it was preceded by a Army commercial showing a bunch of guys running onto a beach (with no one shooting back at them).

Military recruitment today when most of the armed forces are used for acts I do not see as being correlated to our national security pretty much disgusts me.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Part of Memorial Day should be reminding ourselves to make sure our leaders are only asking the men and women of our Military to make sacrifice when absolutely necessary, and hoping for a day when we no longer have to ask for their sacrifice.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You think that they put up the tents with guitar hero and put out a FPS video game because people join out of some sense of honor or duty?

I haven't yet to look for the evidence you requested, and I will, but a simple common sense approach to the recruitment methods is in order as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i have to agree with one of the comments on youtube:

"i'm uncomfortable calling anyone at fox news a journalist. "
    fify

Thread Information